• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    If you want to go inexpensive, mate a 32 oz gatoraide with a 5oz gsi stainless cup, add a 64 oz gatoraide for extra. I also like snow peak titanium cookware. Those gatoraide bottles are tough, great caps, and 2 and 3 oz, or close.

Get a scale. Start weighing things. Titanium or stainless cups/pots can be used with a bunch of different stoves, or wood, and you can't make food in a canteen.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    If you want to go inexpensive, mate a 32 oz gatoraide with a 5oz gsi stainless cup, add a 64 oz gatoraide for extra. I also like snow peak titanium cookware. Those gatoraide bottles are tough, great caps, and 2 and 3 oz, or close.

Get a scale. Start weighing things. Titanium or stainless cups/pots can be used with a bunch of different stoves, or wood, and you can't make food in a canteen.

I found a lightweight titanium canteen but it cost as much as 6 used military steel canteens.
    I like the pathfinders canteen which is large and can hold lots of water. But! one step at a time.

[video=youtube;N1PwGQkTu3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PwGQkTu3A[/video]

I just purchased a camebak off ebay. Amazon and OPS gear has them for around $65-75 with shipping. So i got a good deal on it. Cant wait till i get it since i go shoot my bow out in the heat on the weekends.
    pl_60303.jpg

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah. Some of the cookset stuff can get expensive, but one nested canteen/cup and a larger bag/bottle should do ya. It all adds up though, weight and bulk wise.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    Get a camelback or some kind of high quality bladder to go in your pack. I have a camel back, as it makes for easy carrying and if you want to lay the larger pack down and keep a small pack of water on you, you can take the cammel back only.

Then get yourself an inline filter so you can place dirty water directly in your cammel back and filter as you suck.

Amazon.com: Source Outdoors Widepack Hydration Reservoir System (Transparent Blue, 2-Litres ): Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter: Sports & Outdoors

Light, easy, simple...

The only advantage a canteen will afford you is that if you buy the right kind, it could double as a mess kit. Plastic canteens are worthless, take up too much space, and don't hold much. There's all kinds of new plastic water storage and bladder technology on the market, take advantage of it. Your aching back will thank you at the end of a 12mile hike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K_wPw09TwE

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Get a camelback or some kind of high quality bladder to go in your pack. I have a camel back, as it makes for easy carrying and if you want to lay the larger pack down and keep a small pack of water on you, you can take the cammel back only.

Then get yourself an inline filter so you can place dirty water directly in your cammel back and filter as you suck.

Amazon.com: Source Outdoors Widepack Hydration Reservoir System (Transparent Blue, 2-Litres ): Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter: Sports & Outdoors

Light, easy, simple...

The only advantage a canteen will afford you is that if you buy the right kind, it could double as a mess kit. Plastic canteens are worthless, take up too much space, and don't hold much. There's all kinds of new plastic water storage and bladder technology on the market, take advantage of it. Your aching back will thank you at the end of a 12mile hike.

Platypus Big Zip SL & Sawyer 3 Way " Ultralight Water Perfection" - YouTube

IS THIS UR YT CHANNEL?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Here's the "modern" canteen cup I got to go on my 1L Nalgene bottles. That way I still have a cup I can mix things in, use when shaving, or boil water.

Olicamp Hard Anodized Space Saver Mug (Blue Handle):Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

But you can also boil water in things that would usually melt from the heat. The water distributes the heat so the container remains protected even while close to the fire.

How to Boil Water in a Plastic Bottle | Trails.com

Boiling Water in a Plastic Bottle - YouTube

You could probably boil water in a hydration bladder itself, too, though I haven't tried it.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    canteens that are not full, slosh around and make a LOT of noise. go with the bladder.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've had to deal with this quite a bit and here's what I've done: Got a very small "last ditch bug-out pouch" that has the very minimum of essentials; one of them being a "Sierra Cup," which is an aluminum cup with a wide mouth. At the very minimum, I can boil water in it.

On some of my smaller BOBs, I carry a single 1-Qt military canteen w/canteen cup: same purpose as the Sierra Cup; I can boil water with it.

In/on all of my BOBs I use CamelBak drinking bladders of as large a size as I can get to fit; they're a MUCH easier way to carry water than canteens; you can also buy an in-line filter for them which allows you to filter your water before you drink it.

Additionally, you can find belt-mounted (MOLLE, I think) 2-Qt canteens with drinking tubes, and you can also buy quick-mount CamelBak pouches which can be mounted on anything with PALS or MOLLE webbing.

Personally, my major bug-out plan includes a battle-belt/shoulder harness with minimum mags for pistol and rifle, blowout kit, CamelBak drinking bottle (w/filter) and combat knife and pistol sheathes. When wearing my main pack, I'll wear the load-bearing belt on my hips (where it is supposed to be) and push the battle belt up on top of the load-bearing belt so if I need to abandon the pack, I'll have the battle belt and harness.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    A Tangent - As Blackhawk mentioned, the bladders with an in-line filter is a great idea and very practical. Everyone thinks "when I need water, I"ll just boil it" which just isn't practical all the time. Much like the gazelle in africa, getting water is dangerous, predators wait at a watering hole for an easy meal. Getting your dirty water and putting it in a container is great n all, but you gotta make it potable unless you're immune system is acclimated to drinking from that source as-is (something to consider doing). Get set up to get your water and make it potable asap. A hand pump filter and an in-line filter is a great way to do just that.

On-topic: Seriously ditch the canteen idea, just doesn't seem practical from a "I've used them in the Marines" standpoint. Everyone in the military is moving to the Camelbak systems for a good reason: a far better way to transport & carry water, be it running, training, hiking, or general wear.

I have a platypus 3L big-zip on the way (along with a Camelbak 3L Omega military one) that I'll use with my in-line filter. Quick to fill up, clear so I can see inside (I wanna see/monitor whats in it), and it's the bladder I'll be using to hold dirty water to pass through my in-line to my other bladder. If need be, I can use it like any other, and I can fill it up and go (has a handle). Grab-and-go style water grabbing, less time I'm spending getting water and being visible. With gear like that in a SHTF situation, you dont want people seeing and knowing you have that stuff unless you like being a target; especially for all these people with their SASS .308 rifles.

A hand-pump filter would also be a good thing to have, especially if you plan on filling up multiple bladders like you stated you prefer, or even trade for that service (with friends/friendly company of course). It's also good to have another quick-to-filter-water system available as a backup. I plan to get one next!.... I swear my money is made of flashpaper... or fictional computerized e-credits.

I'd advise considering your preps from a practical use-every-day standpoint more than anything else; something I'm having to do for everything myself.... it never stops! @_@ I also realize I'm probably a bit late to chime in with my :twocents:

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    A Tangent - As Blackhawk mentioned, the bladders with an in-line filter is a great idea and very practical. Everyone thinks "when I need water, I"ll just boil it" which just isn't practical all the time. Much like the gazelle in africa, getting water is dangerous, predators wait at a watering hole for an easy meal. Getting your dirty water and putting it in a container is great n all, but you gotta make it potable unless you're immune system is acclimated to drinking from that source as-is (something to consider doing). Get set up to get your water and make it potable asap. A hand pump filter and an in-line filter is a great way to do just that.

On-topic: Seriously ditch the canteen idea, just doesn't seem practical from a "I've used them in the Marines" standpoint. Everyone in the military is moving to the Camelbak systems for a good reason: a far better way to transport & carry water, be it running, training, hiking, or general wear.

I have a platypus 3L big-zip on the way (along with a Camelbak 3L Omega military one) that I'll use with my in-line filter. Quick to fill up, clear so I can see inside (I wanna see/monitor whats in it), and it's the bladder I'll be using to hold dirty water to pass through my in-line to my other bladder. If need be, I can use it like any other, and I can fill it up and go (has a handle). Grab-and-go style water grabbing, less time I'm spending getting water and being visible. With gear like that in a SHTF situation, you dont want people seeing and knowing you have that stuff unless you like being a target; especially for all these people with their SASS .308 rifles.

A hand-pump filter would also be a good thing to have, especially if you plan on filling up multiple bladders like you stated you prefer, or even trade for that service (with friends/friendly company of course). It's also good to have another quick-to-filter-water system available as a backup. I plan to get one next!.... I swear my money is made of flashpaper... or fictional computerized e-credits.

I'd advise considering your preps from a practical use-every-day standpoint more than anything else; something I'm having to do for everything myself.... it never stops! @_@ I also realize I'm probably a bit late to chime in with my :twocents:

I've got my camebak in the mail yesterday. I haven't taken the tags off yet. I'm doing a video review on my YT channel. When buying the bladder i notice there are a lot of cheap knock off bladders. Also the ad says they are new, but have no tags or anything like that.

3L = 99oz. almost 30 oz shy of 1 gl of water. I play on carryng a metal canteen to boil water in. Many people talk about SHTF and what they would do. But many dont even know how to skin a squirrel or gut a fish.

I few weeks back I was shooting my bow and it was 95 outside. No clouds, just the hot sun. After 40min I felt dizzy and sick to my stomach. I had gone through my water botttle in less than 15min. I was a good 35min hike from my apartment. on the way back i felt sick. People don't understand the importance of water.

The other reason i went with the camelbak was because i can boil water and pour it into the camebak. Then i can drop the camelbak on a stream,river,lake and have the water cool the boling hot water. I've done this with my canteen. I hate drinking hot water in a hot day.

thx all. Keep an eye out for my video review.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've got my camebak in the mail yesterday. I haven't taken the tags off yet. I'm doing a video review on my YT channel. When buying the bladder i notice there are a lot of cheap knock off bladders. Also the ad says they are new, but have no tags or anything like that.

3L = 99oz. almost 30 oz shy of 1 gl of water. I play on carryng a metal canteen to boil water in. Many people talk about SHTF and what they would do. But many dont even know how to skin a squirrel or gut a fish.

I few weeks back I was shooting my bow and it was 95 outside. No clouds, just the hot sun. After 40min I felt dizzy and sick to my stomach. I had gone through my water botttle in less than 15min. I was a good 35min hike from my apartment. on the way back i felt sick. People don't understand the importance of water.

The other reason i went with the camelbak was because i can boil water and pour it into the camebak. Then i can drop the camelbak on a stream,river,lake and have the water cool the boling hot water. I've done this with my canteen. I hate drinking hot water in a hot day.

thx all. Keep an eye out for my video review.

Hah thats true, most dont know how to do so. I imagine the 'primal instinct' will kick in in desperate enough times. I questioned my skinning abilities one day. I practiced my skinning on a chipmunk that my cat killed but didn't eat, oddly enough... came out perfect! Last time I gut a fish, it was a few months ago on a bluegill.... so many bones :(. Your account of the heat sounds like a nice wake up call on hydration. I myself dont drink anything that dehydrates me in the first place, aside daily tea, which I have water to go with afterwards (or it's purely herbal, like nettle tea). If you drink lots of coffe, gatorade, or soda/pop, no way you'd be ready for a hot day. I had a similar event happen in the Marines while on a platoon run, cept the ground literally started spinning and coming up at me.... water got paramount after that!

What's your YT channel? And what bow do you shoot? I've prepped by learning how to make & shoot a recurve, along with making my own arrows (surprisingly easy to do) from scratch.

tbone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    gosport area
    id go with a good filter system & or bleach,there is lots of water around if you can treat it or boil it,you couls drink swim pool water

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom