• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cben114

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Richmond
    Considering that the LEO did take the gun without cause I will side with the "perp". If a cop walked up and said I'm going to take away your gun while we talk even though you haven't done anything wrong, I wouldn't be happy, if he simply walked up and asked if I had a license to carry a gun, I would gladly show it to him. However something gives me the feeling that this guy would have had an issue with that to, and that is the kind of thing that makes us all look bad. The guy was out looking for trouble, and the cop should not have immediately seized the gun, it was handled the wrong way on both sides.

tlcmbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Woodburn, In.
    Considering that the LEO did take the gun without cause I will side with the "perp". If a cop walked up and said I'm going to take away your gun while we talk even though you haven't done anything wrong, I wouldn't be happy, if he simply walked up and asked if I had a license to carry a gun, I would gladly show it to him. However something gives me the feeling that this guy would have had an issue with that to, and that is the kind of thing that makes us all look bad. The guy was out looking for trouble, and the cop should not have immediately seized the gun, it was handled the wrong way on both sides.

I agree with you. I watched the video and did not see the officer take the gun. Am I missing something? I only saw that he had the gun, what I mean is was the perp being confrontational and the LEO took it for his safety? If an officer approaches me I will simply show my license. This guy makes these videos just to be someone big on YouTube. What's the big deal? So many on this site act like radicals. We have rights , but with that comes responsibility and common sense. I open carry sometimes but also know that in today's world some one may be frightened when they see the weapon. It's for this reason I cover up when I go to the bank. I can carry but I also choose to not go out of my way to freak others out.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...if he simply walked up and asked if I had a license to carry a gun, I would gladly show it to him. However something gives me the feeling that this guy would have had an issue with that to, and that is the kind of thing that makes us all look bad.

You seem to be confusing Indiana requirements with Maine requirements.

In Maine, no license is required to openly carry so asking for one would be odd.

The guy was out looking for trouble...
    :dunno: Did you see a video we haven't seen?

The video I watched began with the officer already there making contact.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Personally I see no problem with, as some call it, "baiting" officers. An officers job is to uphold and enforce the law. If a person carries out a LEGAL action to see if an officer will violate their oath or break the law themselves how is that person at fault when an officer does violate their oath or break the law?

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    If this was Maine then why even post it on INGO.

To learn what a stop should go like if you refuse to give up any of your rights.

The only difference is Maine does not have a license to open carry, (not sure if it's constitutional carry) and also I believe Indiana has a law that forces you to identify.

Otherwise the entire video is applicable. They cannot legally detain him without suspicion of a crime commited. Per DeBerry they also cannot stop him simply for him carrying a gun. He also in the second video invokes his right to remain silent, and right to an attorney.

To all the people who have claimed that he was baiting the police, even though it was irrelevant, he was not. He claims to have been stopped solely for open carrying two dozen times over five years, and decided to start recording them because of his rights being violated in past interactions. If I was stopped that many times, I would be a## about it too. (especially if it was by the same officers)

This was just a person recording an interaction so that he could prove that he was breaking no law, and that the officers repeatedly have stopped him for no reason, and violated his rights in doing so.

Here is the thread that he posts the original video, and his letter to the chief of police over it.

My yearly detainment in Portland.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    If he isnt breaking a law then he shouldnt be detained, we as a society are so scared of the sight of a gun because we have been conditioned to be afraid. Imagine if a police officer went up to someone dressed in gang colors in a known gang neighborhood and just said they need that person's info to make sure they arent felons, maybe this happens i dunno but i'm sure that person would cry racism! with so many wackos out there maybe we should be a little cautious but if he isnt breaking a law then he cant be stopped. crazy video though, good job for the cops not going crazy on him, i would personally think he is acting weird by not giving his name if he has nothing to hide.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I agree with you. I watched the video and did not see the officer take the gun. Am I missing something? I only saw that he had the gun, what I mean is was the perp being confrontational and the LEO took it for his safety? If an officer approaches me I will simply show my license. This guy makes these videos just to be someone big on YouTube. What's the big deal? So many on this site act like radicals. We have rights , but with that comes responsibility and common sense. I open carry sometimes but also know that in today's world some one may be frightened when they see the weapon. It's for this reason I cover up when I go to the bank. I can carry but I also choose to not go out of my way to freak others out.

So if you OC for comfort, or for any deterrent effect, you compromise your comfort or safety based on how strangers irrationally "feel"?

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    So if you OC for comfort, or for any deterrent effect, you compromise your comfort or safety based on how strangers irrationally "feel"?

This. ^

I open carry my glock because it's more comfortable. I'm not intentionally scaring anyone and haven't had any issues to note. But, I have had the opportunity to educate some folks on Indiana's license to carry that would not have otherwise known. It's not the reason I OC, but it's a good result of it.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    The cop was just doing his job. Just because you have the right to be an a--hole don't mean you have to be one. If he was legal what difference does it make to show your ID. He wasn't asking for him to register his gun.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

Yeah, I'm quite cool with OC if that's what you want to do...I'm just not walking into a bank w/a visible weapon unless I'm wearing a badge. Getting plugged by an overly nervous under trained rentacop is not on my agenda for the day.

gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    i was working at a store and saw a guy oc'ing. some store manager freaked and called the police. i asked the manager what transpired with dispatch. dispatch told them "it's legal in indiana as long as they have a permit." and that was that. no one hassled the guy or anything. thats why i love living in n. central indiana!

dt420

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    NW
    Now that I have read this whole thread i found there were a lot of great responses, but ATM clearly owned this topic. Thank you ATM!

I usually don't like the videos where the person is just trying to get police response, most of those videos have a guy walking down the road with his rifle. This guy was walking with his firearm holstered on his hip. How is that baiting?

Almost everyone on Ingo is a baiter if that is true. Some of us are even masters at it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Police should not be responding to calls without a suspected crime.

For those of you who are so upset that he "baited" the cops.... why is he able to bait the police without breaking any laws?

Answer: Because it has become commonplace to harass citizens without the suspicion of criminal activity.

The cop was just doing his job. Just because you have the right to be an a--hole don't mean you have to be one. If he was legal what difference does it make to show your ID. He wasn't asking for him to register his gun.

The officer was not "just doing his job".... what he was doing was illegal, and outside of the scope of his job. Keep in mind that in Maine, you may open carry without a license.... There was absolutely no suspicion of a crime, nor any reason for the officer to request identification in the first place... The difference is pointing out that the officer's conduct is unlawful, and that he is NOT doing his job properly....

Also keep in mind, that while this gentlemen may have intended to get a response, many people in Maine that wish to carry LEGALLY without a license likely get harassed in this manner. If enough officers and dispatchers get educated, and the response changes - he is doing them a favor. Law enforcement officers should have it in the back of their mind that if they do not follow the law, the citizen in question may be putting their actions in youtube...

Last edited:

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Gunner, if you read the first part there was a call he was responding to that call. If you were that cop and had to walk up to that man with a gun what would be your response be. The gun wasn't the problem the person was. All he had to do was to show ID then he would have been on his way. That cop didn't know who this guy was all he knew was that there was a call he may have just killed a cop or his wife or there may have been another call of a robbery two blocks away. Look at it from the cops side he has a wife and kids too and would like to get home to them after his shift. How much of your safety are you willing to risk. Now if he was asking to remove his right to carry that piece then I would be the first one to stand up for my 2nd Adm. rights but that wasn't the case.

Top Bottom