• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    This needs to be nipped in the bud with the 911 operator. Questions like, "ma'am is the gun unholstered?" or "sir is the gun being pointed at someone?" or "ma'am have any shots been fired" could do us all a big favor and keep the police working on real crime and the citizens rights left intact.

It doesn't matter, a cop sill needs to go. It may be perfectly legal for me to play my drums at 2 pm, but if a neighbor calls the police have to show up.

Imo, all videos like this do is give ammo to those who want more laws.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The fact that they got a camera in hand. They are just waiting for cops to show up so they can school them. Just OC like a normal person and go about your business like a normal person. Almost all these vids, the guy is doing nothing, just wandering around waiting for the cops to show up.

tlcmbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Woodburn, In.
    It doesn't matter, a cop sill needs to go. It may be perfectly legal for me to play my drums at 2 pm, but if a neighbor calls the police have to show up.

Imo, all videos like this do is give ammo to those who want more laws.

This was the point I was trying to make. Why give the antis more reason to take our guns away? Yes we have the right but we can't change the publics opinion if we go looking for trouble. A better way may be have an open carry event and invite the media, police and even the public to attend. Then have speakers and a presentation to educate rather than intimidate. Again let me say this because so many of you seem to only read what you want to read, " we have a right to open carry" let's just try to educate in a way that helps our cause in a more productive way.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Hmmm I actually thought it was pretty stupid myself. I am all in favor of people legally carrying at all times. But IMO with that comes the responsibility and common sense of cooperating when questioned about it. I don't know the laws where that happened and don't care too but to stand there acting like some civil rights lawyer is childish to say the least. Show that you are legal and be down the road. This guy no doubt wanted some attention. And that is what he got.

I have said it many times before, all thiese nija wannabes running around showing off thier guns will some day bite us all in the butt. When it becomes more of a problem then you may very well see laws restricting/banning the open display of a firearm. We all know how the libs work. Keeping your iron out of view. Don't be a turd. Many....most people don't want to see your flipping gun. It does not make you look all big and bad. It makes you look goffy IMO.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Don't much care for these "nards" baiting cops. Good for the cop for dealing with him without being drawn into the trap.

No baiting, no trap, the officer seemingly drew himself into taking inappropriate actions against a citizen that was not under suspicion of any criminal activity for some reason.

Perhaps he simply forgot the limitations of his authority because most people willingly waive their rights to comply with whatever he feels like doing or asking for. :dunno:

I hope he now has a better understanding as a result of this non-threatening educational experience with an informed citizen. :yesway:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ..." we have a right to open carry" let's just try to educate in a way that helps our cause in a more productive way.

The only person in that video that needed educated got just that, and he brought it on himself.

That educational opportunity would not likely have happened in a large group, if he'd been concealing, or by waiving his rights at every request, so what exactly are you suggesting the citizen should have done differently in order to educate?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    . If you open carry you also need to respect the fears of some of the public. Sure it is our right but, if you are legal, why not just show your LTCH and other ID to the officer. He is doing his job and you will be a better example of a armed citizen. When you act like that guy you make all gun owners look like a$& holes. How are we going to educate the public if we come across as hot heads.

I completely disagree with you. The cop was in the process of an illegal stop and seizure. With that considered he kept a pretty level head. I don't know what state this was in but what do you show cops if your in a constitutional carry state.

o a police officer responds to a call, man with a gun, and he can't even ask questions to determine you are legal to carry?

As the man in the video clearly stated with Deberry Vs. US no the officer had no legal right to stop him and since he had no legal right to do a terry stop that makes the seizure illegal as well.not a lawyer though

Keeping your iron out of view. Don't be a turd. Many....most people don't want to see your flipping gun. It does not make you look all big and bad. It makes you look goffy IMO.

No, just no.appeasement doesnt work. Ask the french about it.:patriot:

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I dont think OC'ers try to look big and bad. IMO we OC to prevent any crimes against us. While i do not agree walking around trying to provoke LEOs to stopping you for the sake of youtube it does prove that a large number of people including LEOs are willing to infringe upon your rights thru ignorance and fear.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...This guy no doubt wanted some attention. And that is what he got.

The cop?

I have said it many times before, all thiese nija wannabes running around showing off thier guns will some day bite us all in the butt. When it becomes more of a problem then you may very well see laws restricting/banning the open display of a firearm. We all know how the libs work. Keeping your iron out of view. Don't be a turd. Many....most people don't want to see your flipping gun. It does not make you look all big and bad. It makes you look goffy IMO.

You've been spouting this same anti-OC drivel since day one. Your consistent but unrealized fear mongering and personal disdain are duly noted

...and dismissed. :cool:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I don't like the pretense because the only point is for this guy to make a video. He could have educated the officer without the use of YouTube.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    The IV Ammendment

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Indiana law
    Open Carry? IC 35-47-2-3 May carry openly with license.

Are we not Innocent until proven guilty?
    ----------------------------------------------

This is happening because there is a problem. Guys like this are doing this as a form of protest (1st Ammendment) to the current methods of operation by law enforcement. Its purpose is to show that 1. Law enforcement does overstep its boundary in regards to citizens rights in relation to law and 2. It should be a clue to law enforcement to take it upon themselves to change their methods and 3. It would behoove you as a citizen to know the law.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I don't like the pretense because the only point is for this guy to make a video.

Yet when police use bait cars, impersonate prostitutes, etc. their only pretense is gathering evidence of unlawful activity, right?

He could have educated the officer without the use of YouTube.

Sure, but with the use of YouTube he can educate far more officers and citizens alike. Not a bad thing unless you're just embarrassed by the officer's mistakes and think it shouldn't be a learning experience for everyone.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I do have a big problem with a lot of these OC crusaders who are very clearly trying to unnerve people w/odd looking behavior, not just carrying about their daily business but actively attention whoring. That said it doesn't look like that's what this guy was doing and he handled himself well. I think this is a great video.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I do have a big problem with a lot of these OC crusaders who are very clearly trying to unnerve people w/odd looking behavior, not just carrying about their daily business but actively attention whoring. That said it doesn't look like that's what this guy was doing and he handled himself well. I think this is a great video.

You are introducing into evidence that which you can't substantiate. You are using your own preconceived fantasy to support the unsupportable. Therefore your contribution here is worthless.

:yesway::yesway: to the actor, his means and methods !

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I agree, why are so many people on this site so anti police. I open carry once in awhile and have no problem with a police officer asking me questions. Since 9/11 we have been told to call and report anything we believe is suspicious. I think the guy in the video was a jerk. If you open carry you also need to respect the fears of some of the public. Sure it is our right but, if you are legal, why not just show your LTCH and other ID to the officer. He is doing his job and you will be a better example of a armed citizen. When you act like that guy you make all gun owners look like a$& holes. How are we going to educate the public if we come across as hot heads.

It's no mystery to me:

http://youtu.be/nBiJB8YuDBQ?t=21m35s

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You are introducing into evidence that which you can't substantiate. You are using your own preconceived fantasy to support the unsupportable. Therefore your contribution here is worthless.

:yesway::yesway: to the actor, his means and methods !

Huh? I wasn't talking about this guy, I actually said this guy seemed to handle himself alright. Even if he were out looking for a stop, he was still very respectful to the officer. My problem is with the morons who go out there and do things that are just plain stupid to do and then get mouthy with the police immediately before the cop even has a chance to be civil and cool about it.

For instance, this idiot who starts off by telling the cop where to park:

LiveLeak.com - Police officers are now being trained how to deal with open carry activists

The carrier comes off looking like a moron, the cop is 100% professional and correct on the law, the carrier is downright disrespectful and clearly doesn't understand the legalities of what the officer was doing. +1 Cop | -50 Moron

I have zero issue with people who open carry and get hassled going about their normal business being assertive about their rights. I do think people who go out looking for trouble and not even knowing what they're talking about make us all look bad and do nothing but damage open carry.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have zero issue with people who open carry and get hassled going about their normal business being assertive about their rights. I do think people who go out looking for trouble and not even knowing what they're talking about make us all look bad and do nothing but damage open carry.

Nicely said.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    So a police officer responds to a call, man with a gun, and he can't even ask questions to determine you are legal to carry? How is he supposed to know? If you follow that logic then you would have to wait for the bad guy to shoot at you before you can defend yourself.By the way the guys gun was not seized, it was given back to him. I said before, yes we are legal to OC but we must also understand that the public probably does not know. When was the last time you saw a news story about OC? We may be within our rights to OC but we can be reasonable and cooperative and be a good example of a gun owner, and not come off as jerks. This can only help our cause.

so how long does it have to be taken away from you to be "seized"? a few minutes? a couple days?, a year? as long as you get it back it wasn't seized?

Top Bottom