• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Does anyone know of a good way to convert .avi files to .mp4? I have a 1TB hard drive full of movies and would like to convert them to mp4 files so I can load them onto my iPod & iPad. I tried downloading some freeware but of course it wanted to install a bunch of unwanted crap on my computer.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Got it downloaded, installed and I'm trying to convert my first movie. We'll see how it goes, hopefully it works ok but there's a pretty good chance I screwed something up. I know just enough to get myself in trouble most of the time.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    I liked and used Handbrake for a long time, but it seemed to take ages to convert on my PC, which was odd considering I've got a quad core system with 16GB of ram. I switched to Freemake VC and it coverts much faster, and seems to have some options that I never found on Handbrake, like the ability to add converted files to iTunes as they convert. But whatever works best for OP.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The conversion went well and I can watch the new file on the laptop but it wouldn't sync into my ipod, said it was because it couldn't be played. I couldn't get the ipod to sync properly at all last night and it's currently empty so I've obviously got some other problems going on but if anyone has converted movies specifically for an ipod, are there specific settings that must be used?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There are presets in Handbrake for different devices. I always use "Universal" and don't usually have issues on any device.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That's what I used as well, not sure what is going on. I'm currently backing up my iTunes to an external hard drive before wiping iTunes from the laptop and starting over, maybe that'll work.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I liked and used Handbrake for a long time, but it seemed to take ages to convert on my PC, which was odd considering I've got a quad core system with 16GB of ram. I switched to Freemake VC and it coverts much faster, and seems to have some options that I never found on Handbrake, like the ability to add converted files to iTunes as they convert. But whatever works best for OP.

I've been using Freemake too. I've been using it for over a year or so. Great free program.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Got iTunes working and everything loaded up on my iPod again but it still won't sync the movie I converted. I have no idea what to do from here so I'll probably call it a good idea that I couldn't make happen, lol. Thanks for the help though.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Just in the interest of offering options for how to skin the pesky feline, try vlc/videolan app. It will play many things that the iPod/ipad/android/etc might not like otherwise.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll actually be watching the movies through the Kenwood head unit in my truck. It'll allow music, movies and photos, I'm using an older ipod 30g with the control wheel on it so apps aren't an option unfortunately. Thanks for the advice though.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You can't have too many tablets and clearly you need both an Apple and and Android tablet.

Top Bottom