• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I don't know about yall, but I'm kinda turned off by all the ad whoring they've been doing...Avatar the game, Avatar the Windows 7 theme, Avatar the Soda...its irritating, and it really makes me want to see the movie LESS.

Yeah, looks cool...but I'm sick of seeing cut scenes in Pepsi commercials, and having it pop up SOMEWHERE in almost every search I do on the Interwebs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I agree that it was a political statement, but I think the statement had more to do with property rights -- you can't just take stuff from people just because you think you have a more important use for it. There was very little capitalism expressed in the movie, and the "military" was essentially a mercenary army. Not exactly the honor & duty types.

What, like money? Because that would go against everything Hollywood has been preaching for the last 20 years or so.:D

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I agree that it was a political statement, but I think the statement had more to do with property rights -- you can't just take stuff from people just because you think you have a more important use for it. There was very little capitalism expressed in the movie, and the "military" was essentially a mercenary army. Not exactly the honor & duty types.

Yeah but you know darn good and well what Cameron was doing. The movie had great special effects no doubt, but you were being indoctrinated while watching it. IT made me want to puke...

Property rights? Nope this was about Greed at all costs, the Corporations etc. Same crap we hear everyday with a nice feel good touchy plot to it.

We are not barbarians etc.....the movie was making a political view cool.

Simple

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yeah but you know darn good and well what Cameron was doing. The movie had great special effects no doubt, but you were being indoctrinated while watching it. IT made me want to puke...

Property rights? Nope this was about Greed at all costs, the Corporations etc. Same crap we hear everyday with a nice feel good touchy plot to it.

We are not barbarians etc.....the movie was making a political view cool.

Simple

If that's what Cameron intended, he missed the mark. The corporation in question was, for all intents and purposes, a State. It declared dominion over an arbitrary geographical area, and proceeded to use violence to enforce its rule. It acted like a government, not a corporation.

Essentially, I agree with this guy's assessment:

Avatar is Great and Libertarian - Stephan Kinsella - Mises Economics Blog

Even though Cameron called it a corporation, and called what it was doing "capitalism", that doesn't mean he was right. If a guy tells you that he hates oranges, but spends the whole conversation describing apples, his error is not in hating oranges. His error is not knowing what they are.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I Think it was more along the lines of the American Indian, the plot line was about a tribe, they spoke what to me sounded like native Indian, We took the land from them for our gain, They have one great spirit, I think they won the rite to keep their land in this movie, Just my take on it!!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I Think it was more along the lines of the American Indian, the plot line was about a tribe, they spoke what to me sounded like native Indian, We took the land from them for our gain, They have one great spirit, I think they won the rite to keep their land in this movie, Just my take on it!!

I haven't seen it yet, but this is more what I had heard about it as well. Kinda turned me off to seeing it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just got back from seeing it with my brother and sister-in-law. Infriggincredible.

I encourage you to go see it, and if you do so, spring for the IMAX 3D. That's the ONLY way to do the SFX justice, IMO.

I normally have difficulty suspending my disbelief at the movies. Not this time.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I would watch it again. It is a long one!

I would watch it again, too... in fact, I will be doing so next week with akaindy and GunInfected1. :yesway:

By far the longest 3D movie I've been to; I had a headache coming out of the theater. I was also disappointed to discover that I was not, in fact, a 10-foot-tall blue dude with a tail.

:):

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I would watch it again, too... in fact, I will be doing so next week with akaindy and GunInfected1. :yesway:

By far the longest 3D movie I've been to; I had a headache coming out of the theater. I was also disappointed to discover that I was not, in fact, a 10-foot-tall blue dude with a tail.

:):

I felt okay until I got home. You know that feeling you get when you fly somewhere? I sort of had that going on. My poor wife though... she said she had to alternate every 10 minutes or so between taking off her 3D glasses and watching the movie with blurry lines or watching the movie with the glasses on and making herself feel like her stomach was doing barrel rolls. She was a trooper and stayed the whole movie.

:yesway:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I saw it in IMAX 3D today at the Hamilton 16. After it was over, I immediately dubbed it: "Pocahontas in Space," with a dose of Custer's Last Stand thrown in.

Top Bottom