• ...and so much more!
  • griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Auditing Shooting Rampage Statistics

Last week I posted a graphic on the Silver Circle Facebook page claiming the average number of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by police is 18.25, and the average number of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by civilians is 2.2. I based it on the 10 shootings I covered in last week’s Pop Friday post and I did the math myself.

The graphic was met with great enthusiasm and much skepticism. Leave it to Facebook users to demand an audit on a meme. So, I started over, only much more meticulous this time. I compiled and analyzed 93 shootings, and I am now prepared to present my findings, complete with a link to all the data. But here’s a spoiler… It’s not that different.

SC-gun-stat.jpg

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    well i dnt think i need to check ur sources. Ive always been under the impression cops arent really here to stop crime from happening, but more or less just to investigate. Not by any means putting down LE's, as i respect Most of them.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I assume that embeded in this is the hypothesis that that civilians can stop the shooting faster, and that an armed police response takes longer to assemble and respond?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    You fail! You forgot to show your work.

So what you're saying is?

:p

Good statistics, however the question for me is: Are we only counting innocents or bad guy as well?

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I am reminded of "when seconds count, the police are minutes away". I wonder if the "stopped by police" numbers are so high because if it is still going on when the police get there, it is truly an epic event where the shooter has an agenda?

Kw1P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I am reminded of "when seconds count, the police are minutes away". I wonder if the "stopped by police" numbers are so high because if it is still going on when the police get there, it is truly an epic event where the shooter has an agenda?

Very valid point

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    i was wondering about the numbers on that, seemed a little high when it first came out, but like you said, wasnt too far off. Would be even scarier if you put the number of people shot, not just those killed.

Dr Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Nice work !

Couple of quick ?s

Mass shootings means more than one victim ? What was your definition of mass shooting ?

were these mass shootings in USA or worldwide ?

How far back did you go ?

As other poster asked, does this include the bad guy/girl ?

Thanks for doing the research !

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Just like said before, I think this difference in numbers is due to the police have a response time versus some armed civilian who is there to react. None the less, I am most certainly for legally armed civilians...I'm one of them.

Top Bottom