• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Start saving your pennies. There's one in Evansville April 21st - a single estate with over 400 guns. I plan on starting a thread closer to that time.

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I have never been to a gun auction so I have to ask what is probably going to be a dumb question. Are they like farm auctions, where everything goes cheap or sky high?

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    If you go to a gun auction, know what your looking for and only take what you are willing to spend. You probably won't buy a gun, but you can find good deals on other gun related items. Most people are either waiting to for the guns or are out of money after the guns are sold. Also watch for a buyers fee. They can be as much as 10%. That can be a BIG surprise when it comes time to settle up.

gundoggermax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    If you go to a gun auction, know what your looking for and only take what you are willing to spend. You probably won't buy a gun, but you can find good deals on other gun related items. Most people are either waiting to for the guns or are out of money after the guns are sold. Also watch for a buyers fee. They can be as much as 10%. That can be a BIG surprise when it comes time to settle up.

There is a huge auction in rock island Illinois which has a lot of collector guns. They had a pilot on tv at one point maybe it is a series now I have no idea. I was looking at their buyers fee and it was somewhere around 15% with cash and 17.5% with credit card. Thats can be a huge price increase in the cost of the gun

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Attend the auctions that only list a few guns. The heavily advertised auctions that are loaded with guns. Hopeful buyers in turn come with heavily loaded wallets.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Start saving your pennies. There's one in Evansville April 21st - a single estate with over 400 guns. I plan on starting a thread closer to that time.

Please let me know by PM when you start the thread. I think that I know the estate. If it is the person I am thinking of there were over 400 guns and they were in pretty good shape. He would buy 2 and put one up for his collection.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    As mentioned previously, attend auctions where they have a few guns. I find a lot of times estate auctions are the best. You might get a good deal on an old deer rifle, shotgun or maybe a pistol. Very easily could you end up with a garage full of 16GA shotguns.

You do need to be armed with what a fair market value for something is and don't get caught in a bidding war, unless you really want it. Yesterday what should have been a $400 used trailer went for $800, brand new that size with the ramp goes for around $600.

When going for guns check the auction to see if they list what the FFL transfer fee is. Oddly I've only seen that posted on one auction in Lebenon.

They aren't for everyone, you have to be disciplined in your bidding. Lots of times you'll go home empty handed. I'm always amazed by what some people will spend on items I perceive to be junk.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Having just returned from the Rock Island auction I feel qualified to respond. Gun auctions are just like all auctions, if you are the only person there interested in a particular item then bargins are possible. In my particular case I always assume that whatever I am wanting to purchase one thousand or so others also want! With Proxibid and online bidding in general it is really difficult to get real "steals" very much in this day and age. Pickers place a bid on almost any item online and the bidding begins there. It used to be that at auction, if you were lucky, the bid started at zero but not anymore. The RIA is different in that they have many large lots of moderately priced guns and only place for bid single items which are on the high end. This means that for dealers many lots can go for relative cheap because you are buying four or five at a time. :)

gunluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    There is a gun auction in Eaton Ohio twice a year. Guns sell for retail plus. I think it goes with the economy. Antique guns are like gold a great investment.

Top Bottom