• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I was just wondering with Spring here and Summer on the way, if anyone here goes to these things? Do you just show up? Is it easy? Great deals? Is it worth the time and what is involved? Yada yada

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I guess it depends on what your looking to buy. In my experience guns at these auctions always seem to go for way more than what I'd be willing to pay.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I enjoy going to auctions and you can get deals if you put the time in. Like anything else, sometimes folks bid things up to the point of incredulity. Some things like upholstered furniture, basic appliances and household goods can be had for cheap. And specialty items such as firearms or yard equipment can often be had at a bargain if you are lucky.

A good household auction can be fun. Try to get there an hour or so before it starts to scope out what you want. Look stuff over carefully. Estimate your max and stick to it. Remember, most auctions held at a house or such are cash or check only. Gun wise, if it is an auction of a household on site the "seller" is typically the owner, not the auction company. So it is often considered a person to person sale and no 4473. I have found if there are only a couple firearms, there is little competition for them. I bought a great condition Browning A-Bolt in 300 Savage for less than $250 a few years ago.

So yeah, it can be a great way to spend a Saturday morning. Beats cutting grass.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The last one I went to had almost everything going for a song. The auctioneer team was not exactly holding out for top dollar--they seemed to be just wanting to get things done.

I ended up getting about $300 worth of stuff for $26. Micrometers, dial indicator, machinist's tools of that nature. (browne &sharpe, Starrett, etc-- no junk).

It's sobering to go to an estate sale. I can't help but imagine all of my crap being auctioned off for pennies on the dollar.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I am an auction addict. Lol. There are some great deals to be had, but a lot depends on the crowd. Just last Sunday, I saw a nearly new freezer that retails at $1,000, sell for $350. But, at the same sale, I saw someone pay $25 for a box that had 2 Hammers and 3 screwdrivers in it. I try to avoid the ones that charge a buyer's premium. ( usually %10 over bid price) And don't forget you have to pay sales tax. I use Find Live & Online Auctions for Antiques, Art, Cars & More at AuctionZip.com to keep up with what auctions are coming up. You can search their calendar for events by distance from your zip code.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I love auctions! As said already, know what things are worth before you go if you are looking for something specific. Register when you get there and get a bidders number so if you decide you want to bid on something, you are prepared to do so. Keep track of what you buy and what you paid for it so when you go to settle up, you can make sure you are being charged correctly.

Check things out ahead of the start time and pay attention to where the auctioneer is on the line up or you can easily miss the item you were watching. I keep my hands in my pocket and try not to nod at anyone or scratch my ear so I don't buy something I don't want! LOL!

We've gotten some great deals. I'm still using the electric-start Toro push mower (self propelled too) that we got for $5. I think the only thing we've done is put in a new spark plug and we've had it for 10 to 15 years easily.

Hand tools go high at the Amish auctions. That had me shaking my head when they were paying same as new prices for old pitchforks and such that had broken handles.

We try very hard to only bid on the things we went for so we don't drag home a bunch of stuff we have no real use for. I have been known to buy things that I could resell on Ebay and make a few $$ on.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    if you missed the last one in Royal Center you missed some great deals on guns and ammo....

it can be hit and miss depending on the time of year, what kind of firearms being offered, etc...

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I enjoy auctions, would go to the auction barn couple times a month. I especially enjoyed the $1 boxes, they would keep sticking stuff in it till it sold.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Auctions can be good and bad, but I see it the same as hunting, you can't get the big buck if you're not spending time in the woods.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I don't do a lot of auctions but the ones I did go to left with some steals. About a month ago went to one to see if I could get reloading stuff for a song. No luck in that dept. I quit trying when I saw a full can of vintage Bullseye sell for twenty bucks. However I scored big in the fishing section, got two brand new IM6 bass pro 8' 6 ultra lights for seven bucks each. Scored four of my all time favorite Shimano Bantam 100's for the same. My dad and I walked out of there with a lot of goods for very little money. I think it's hit or miss sometimes.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    love the dollar boxes. once got a 6 foot macrame giraffe for the wife and an etch o sketch and ball in a cup for the kids. 2 yrs later there in the same box in the shed:dunno:

DSC01845.JPG

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Last one I went to I scored an awesome pistol for about 60% of street, but ammunition was going above retail. Got a few tools, runout indicator, calipers, no big deal, nice Kennedy machinists toolbox (Yes. Yes I do need three.) I've picked up some real bargains over the years, like a Pexto 136 for $400. Just have to know your stuff and what it's worth and not let yourself get caught up in a war over something. There are more of them, you'll find one.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Ditto to what others have said. The one thing I will add is that the secret to finding deals is not to be looking for anything specific. If you see a particular gun that you want and go to an auction expecting to get a good deal on that gun then you will likely leave disappointed. If you go with the attitude of picking up whatever happens to be a good deal then you have a good chance of finding something. Some people are not happy with that because they only want specific guns, so auctions don't really work well for them.

Top Bottom