• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't think his base of power is large enough, lest he would already be seated on the SCOTUS. He only has power now due to his position, which (hopefully) is temporary, dependent on election results.
    Also, a solid R pickup, in the House and Senate, could prove very problematic for this snot nosed brat.

I was just thanking God (again) that this piece of :poop: didn't make it to SCOTUS. Would have been even worse than the DEI pick.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I’m not gonna hold my breath waiting for Republicans to actually initiate physical action, but could they actually send federal law enforcement of any kind, who are in the Executive Branch, to grab Garland? I’m pretty sure Slobbering Joe would be propped up long enough to tell federal LE to stand down.

Capitol Police maybe?

It would be a lot more fun if Congress called for a volunteer militia to organize and train to execute an arrest warrant. Pay for their training and equipment through the capital police budget or something.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The House can next take up an Inherent Contempt Resolution, which would empower the House Sergeant at Arms (or his deputy) to physically arrest Merrick Garland, take him into custody, and hold him for trial in a cell within the Capitol Building.

I’m not gonna hold my breath waiting for Republicans to actually initiate physical action, but could they actually send federal law enforcement of any kind, who are in the Executive Branch, to grab Garland? I’m pretty sure Slobbering Joe would be propped up long enough to tell federal LE to stand down.

Capitol Police maybe?

It would be a lot more fun if Congress called for a volunteer militia to organize and train to execute an arrest warrant. Pay for their training and equipment through the capital police budget or something.
    Answered in the first post…

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

Capitol Police maybe?

By my research it's been 90 plus years since an Inherent Contempt Resolution, and that one was in the U.S. Senate in the late 1920's. SCOTUS has ruled several times in the past that both houses are indeed empowered to issue and enforce contempt citations on their own. I believe the House Speaker has authority to call upon Capitol Police and Federal Marshals regarding security of the House and for related law enforcement to physically back up the Sergeant at Arms.

An armed standoff between DOJ/Garland and the House Sergeant at Arms (with Deputies) going to arrest him would go well beyond horrid optics for Biden and Garland. If the House passes an Inherent Contempt Resolution, SCOTUS Decisions and other case law since the adoption of the Constitution are unwaveringly on their side as having the authority to perform a Body Attachment (i.e. arrest him) and hold a Criminal Contempt Trial in the chamber. It's hardly been used since the Civil War as other statutes have provided for DOJ prosecution of Congressional Contempt Citations.

The House (and Senate) Sergeant at Arms isn't just a ceremonial duty and position. It ultimately has complete law enforcement authority to ensure safety, security and order, along with Federal LEO resources that can be called upon as needed.

Personally, I'm hoping the House has the balls to pass an Inherent Contempt Resolution and absolutely force the issue with Garland. DOJ has been getting away with Selective Prosecutions. Time for that to end.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Capitol Police maybe?

Capitol Police, is what I heard from the back of the house when I asked her.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    By my research it's been 90 plus years since an Inherent Contempt Resolution, and that one was in the U.S. Senate in the late 1920's. SCOTUS has ruled several times in the past that both houses are indeed empowered to issue and enforce contempt citations on their own. I believe the House Speaker has authority to call upon Capitol Police and Federal Marshals regarding security of the House and for related law enforcement to physically back up the Sergeant at Arms.

An armed standoff between DOJ/Garland and the House Sergeant at Arms (with Deputies) going to arrest him would go well beyond horrid optics for Biden and Garland. If the House passes an Inherent Contempt Resolution, SCOTUS Decisions and other case law since the adoption of the Constitution are unwaveringly on their side as having the authority to perform a Body Attachment (i.e. arrest him) and hold a Criminal Contempt Trial in the chamber. It's hardly been used since the Civil War as other statutes have provided for DOJ prosecution of Congressional Contempt Citations.

The House (and Senate) Sergeant at Arms isn't just a ceremonial duty and position. It ultimately has complete law enforcement authority to ensure safety, security and order, along with Federal LEO resources that can be called upon as needed.

Personally, I'm hoping the House has the balls to pass an Inherent Contempt Resolution and absolutely force the issue with Garland. DOJ has been getting away with Selective Prosecutions. Time for that to end.
    I hope you are right (and I have no doubt that you are right about the text and meaning of the rules) but given that Garland has reserved to himself the power to decide which of Congress‘s contempt citations are or are not legitimate, I have no doubt that he also thinks he can decide whether the fed LE will help the sergeant at arms or not.

The muzzle end of the selective prosecution is going to remain aimed squarely at Republicans unless Trump gets in and turns DOJ inside out.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I hope you are right (and I have no doubt that you are right about the text and meaning of the rules) but given that Garland has reserved to himself the power to decide which of Congress‘s contempt citations are or are not legitimate, I have no doubt that he also thinks he can decide whether the fed LE will help the sergeant at arms or not.

The muzzle end of the selective prosecution is going to remain aimed squarely at Republicans unless Trump gets in and turns DOJ inside out.
    Garland doesn't command or control the Capitol Police. Their Command, Control and Operations are under the Capitol Police Board. In other words, Garland and his minions cannot issue orders to them. They don't report to him or any of his Minions.

Capitol Police Board:
    • William McFarland, U.S. House of Representatives Sergeant at Arms (Chair)
    • Karen H. Gibson, United States Senate Sergeant at Arms (Member)
    • Joseph DiPietro, Acting Architect of the Capitol (Member)
    • J. Thomas Manger, Chief of Police (Ex-Officio Member)
    If the U.S. House Sergeant at Arms with the backing of the House Speaker orders them to assist in arresting and taking Garland into custody, they assist him in arresting Garland and taking them into custody.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I just wrote my Congressional Rep in very strong words urging an Inherent Contempt Resolution. Failure to do so would only prove House Republicans are abject yellow-bellied cowards, committing Misbehavior Before the Enemy, UCMJ Art. 99. The swamp critters must feel the heat to put an end to Biden's DOJ telling Congress to go pound sand.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Garland doesn't command or control the Capitol Police. Their Command, Control and Operations are under the Capitol Police Board. In other words, Garland and his minions cannot issue orders to them. They don't report to him or any of his Minions.

Capitol Police Board:
    • William McFarland, U.S. House of Representatives Sergeant at Arms (Chair)
    • Karen H. Gibson, United States Senate Sergeant at Arms (Member)
    • Joseph DiPietro, Acting Architect of the Capitol (Member)
    • J. Thomas Manger, Chief of Police (Ex-Officio Member)
    If the U.S. House Sergeant at Arms with the backing of the House Speaker orders them to assist in arresting and taking Garland into custody, they assist him in arresting Garland and taking them into custody.
    Again, I’m sure you’re right as far as it goes, but if Garland says “hell no, I won’t go,” the FBI/marshals/DHS police will fall inline and threaten to arrest any Capitol cops that show up. I don’t see the Capitol Police going to war over this. Not the guys who helped Fubar the 6 Jan events, and “investigate“ those Pakistani computer guys -remember them? Frankly, I expect they are hoping to change bosses in November.

There will be a flurry of legal challenges in the DC Courts and onto the Supreme Court about whether Congress really has the powers that the Constitution says it does, and everyone will just sit on their hands while it plays out, hoping to run out the clock to the election. it will be irrelevant that it’s plainly laid out in constitution, law, and history.

One thing the Democrats have been really good at entrenching loyalists throughout the supposedly non-partisan civil service, and I’m doubly sure of this applies to the capitol police.

I certainly hope I am wrong.

Top Bottom