• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Went out to Atterbury today for the first time. Usually go to Ceraland here in Columbus but got down there and their range is 'closed indefinitely'. :noway: Not sure why...I keep hoping they'll sink some money in it.

Anyway, though, went to atterbury and while they were busy, got in and shot for a half hour as we got there late. Was pretty happy with the experience as I'd heard bad things about it. Screwed up a couple times as I'm not used to such a structured environment... but overall, they didn't freak or anything about it.

SO, as its 5 minutes from the house and relatively reasonably priced, I think I'll be going more often. :rockwoot:

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I really like Atterbury. The new management is very strict but that's one of the things I like about the place. It's the only public range I'll use.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    I am a big fan, I used to go there when it was un managed and it was the wild, wild west sometimes with the guys in flannel getting a little wild

The Stig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Eastern Greene
    I've gone to Atterbury several times... started going back in the day long before the current structure/set up.

The current routine takes a little bit of time to get used to, but I like it and the facility. The ROs have to be strict IMO for safety... better than the alternative.

dcr465

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Been to the Range a few times. RO was strict but also helpful. I have enjoyed each visit!!!

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I have always had a good time there. I have seen others get yelled at but generally I wanted to yell at them too. Last time the guy next to us swept the line several times when going back to his table behind him. The third time the RO saw him he kicked him out. Got heated for a second but I was gladded they kicked him out.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Can someone please explain the 'setup' that makes things strict?

They really aren't "strict." Strict is being used here meaning "They will tell you quickly, and maybe loudly, that you are breaking the range rules." Basically there is a yellow line behind the shooting area. When you hear a buzzer and see the lights flashing, all firing stops. Magazines are removed, actions are locked back, cylinders are left pushed open, chambers facing up or in a way that the range officer can verify the gun is unloaded. Once they verify the guns on the tables are safe, they let people go forward to change targets if they need to. Everyone else stays behind the yellow line. No going to the table to sight in a gun, no going to reload a magazine, no going back for tape/stapler, etc. Basically, don't touch/go near the table where the guns are. No collecting any brass in front of the line during this time.

It does take some time getting used to, mostly not forgetting your tape/stapler, but all you have to do is get a range master and they will get it for you. Eventually you remember to have this stuff at the ready when it is needed.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Range operation & safety

What Indy is describing is a properly supervised range with safety rules & procedures in place. Having supervised firing ranges for decades as a professional instructor, you have rules and procedures. Plus the Range officer and safety officers have to be constantly vigilant. It is their responsibility to see that safe procedures are observed and adhered to. If you were in the military, then the way Atterbury runs their range will not be strange to you.
    It is the RO's and SO's responsibility to keep everybody safe on their range, and occasionally somebody's delicate sensibilities may be offended. But the goal is to send everybody home in the same physical condition that they arrived, and believe me, sometimes that can be a challenge.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's ran a lot like a Military range. During cease fire, you stand behind a yellow line and away from the benches. You do not touch any firearm when others are downrange. It's freaking common sense. Yet, some people want to ***** and moan about the rules.

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    I enjoy how serious they take it... I was up there before deer season and there was a guy that left a 223 round in the chamber that he had left on the table. Surely it was a brain fart but it was something that could have turned bad should someone have been back up at the table or the RO not checked behind. Safety is great, and it for me is a great place to take kids and other new shooters so they see how seriously others treat firearms (and that it isn't me always harping about safety and proper handling)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This is their website: Atterbury Shooting Complex

I've been there a bunch and it's a very well run complex. It's also run by people that support the shooting community and have had some of the best prices you can find on anything from handguns to primers. They do their best to support folks that like to shoot and are probably instrumental in bring new shooters into the fold. I've seen lots of folks down there with their brand new gun, shooting it for the first time. The ROs will do everything they can to explain sight pictures, safety rules and whatever else is needed to create a safe shooter.

We need more ranges like that around. I do most of my shooting at MCFG now days, but I sure appreciate the job the the Atterbury folks do in making a safe environment for new shooters. I do still go down there once in a while even though it's a lot farther for me because sometimes I like the pace of shooting there better.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Yah, I got 'yelled' at twice in a half hour. My friend with me had been there before and caught me on a couple things before I could get yelled at too. I'm used to 'wild west' ranges and didn't really think about it. I'll get used to it. One of the 'got yelled at' ones for me was going back to 'clean up' while others went out to collect targets. The other was I didn't lock the action open on my XD. Brain fart that I had to push the slide lock up. Was nervous about all the strict rules I guess...wasn't thinking clearly.

I'll definitely go back...just hope I am more relaxed next time.

Top Bottom