• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    I don't buy the economy bs... what about all the people who just went out and bought firearms due to obama? Are you telling me that they haven't been out looking for a place to shoot this summer? I think the bottom line for Atterbury is with its location, not enough people are willing to drive out there to pay a good bit of money for a very limited shooting experience. There are a lot of clubs and groups that have shooting locations from the north side of indy all the way to b-town and most of them have much more reasonable annual dues and what appears to be pretty decent facilities not to mention activities such as shooting matches and other competitions. If it were back to the $2 per hour there and the RO's were just a slight bit more relaxed their business problems would all be solved in my opinion.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Shotgun Range limiting hours as well

Went to shoot some skeet yesterday afternoon, and was sad to see that the shotgun range is cutting back on hours also. I assume this will cause the folks who run it to have to find other jobs altogether, which is a shame because they were a big part of why I enjoy going there. For the trap/skeet range anyway, Mark said it was just the low number of people shooting there. Yesterday afternoon there were a total of 6 people from 5:15-7 PM. Cummins cutting way back and Toyota and NTN only working 3 days a week certainly isn't helping anything. Hopefully once everything picks back up around here they can get it back going 6 days a week again.

+1 on St. Louis, MO public ranges only running $3/hour. They aren't quite as nice as Atterbury's facilities, but nothing to complain about. I went there quite a bit when I was still in the warzone of St. Louis :)

TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    I eagerly waited for the new Atterbury to open because I heard it was going to be nice. Then, they posted the cost to shoot and never checked them out again. Yes, I remember when it was a pile of dirt and free of charge, I went there many times. Nowadays, I pay $6.50 per visit and shoot all day at a well-run outdoor range with very friendly ROs.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don't buy the economy bs... what about all the people who just went out and bought firearms due to obama? Are you telling me that they haven't been out looking for a place to shoot this summer? I think the bottom line for Atterbury is with its location, not enough people are willing to drive out there to pay a good bit of money for a very limited shooting experience. There are a lot of clubs and groups that have shooting locations from the north side of indy all the way to b-town and most of them have much more reasonable annual dues and what appears to be pretty decent facilities not to mention activities such as shooting matches and other competitions. If it were back to the $2 per hour there and the RO's were just a slight bit more relaxed their business problems would all be solved in my opinion.

The RO's might be a slight bit more relaxed if it wasn't for all the people who just went out and bought firearms due to obama that don't know diddly about firearm safety or that the range rules apply to everyone and yes that does include you on lane 17!!!:draw:

Look2thewest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Evansville
    I havent been to atterbury in a long time but ive been to some DNR ranges and i agree theres lot of people out there with no clue. It is scary as **** all the rule breaking and barrel sweeps i saw.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I was at Atterbury this morning, and there were about 20 people there shooting. I asked one of the RO's how will the closing effect their Wednesday shooting league. He said (I didn't get his name) that he would donate his time so that the league would not fold. Say what you want about the RO's, but I give this guy a:+1:.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Say what you want about the RO's at the new range, but remember the old range and the condition of the shelter roofs. Those roofs looked like swiss cheese. If the RO's weren't at the new one, what would the baffles look like? There is always some dumb dumb going to shoot everything up and show off!

If you look at the concrete baffles at atterbury you will notice that people have already shot them numerous times. Even at the 100 yard range which I still can not understand how you can do that.

Back in southwestern Indiana there is a gun store and I was talking to the owner who also runs a shooting range out back. He had some people of another nationality go shooting. He went out later and found some holes in his roof. Those are the people that scare me.

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    If you look at the concrete baffles at atterbury you will notice that people have already shot them numerous times. Even at the 100 yard range which I still can not understand how you can do that.

Back in southwestern Indiana there is a gun store and I was talking to the owner who also runs a shooting range out back. He had some people of another nationality go shooting. He went out later and found some holes in his roof. Those are the people that scare me.

Not to be an *** but what does their nationality have anything to due with the fact that they sucked at shooting or were newbies to firearms? I have worked at a range for a very short period of time and I have seen plenty of pure american bred idiots that have shot everything on the other end of the firing line.

As far as atterbury RO's go, I like them a lot as people and have had lengthy discussions with them and it has to be a hard job but when you have stupid rules like you have to leave your drinks behind the cold line because the lead can get into them or some other garbage it just feels too restrictive. :noway: I'm all for being safe but for some reason I think me not washing my hands or face until an hour or so after blasting 300 rounds downrange is giving me much more exposure to lead or GSR than the opening of my sealed bottle of water sitting next to all my gear and taking a drink. just my :twocents:, I'll stick to the free ranges.

PunchPunch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Made the switch to WW already anyway

My own cost cutting measure. I can't hit crap at 100yds with open sights anyway :n00b:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I agree there are some people, that should never touch a gun. However before they rebuilt it, my father and I went quit a bit. If you wanted to go down range, you made sure it was clear with everyone. I never once felt unsafe. No matter with range officers, or not something can happen. Sorry, but $7.00 for 40 minutes of actual firing time. I hope it turns back, into another huge dirt pile. Then maybe it will go back to being free. Or the Military will take it back over. By the way the guy running it, owned a gun shop in Whiteland. The ATF shut him down. Maybe that says something about his buisness practices. :n00b:

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    att

I agree there are some people, that should never touch a gun. However before they rebuilt it, my father and I went quit a bit. If you wanted to go down range, you made sure it was clear with everyone. I never once felt unsafe. No matter with range officers, or not something can happen. Sorry, but $7.00 for 40 minutes of actual firing time. I hope it turns back, into another huge dirt pile. Then maybe it will go back to being free. Or the Military will take it back over. By the way the guy running it, owned a gun shop in Whiteland. The ATF shut him down. Maybe that says something about his buisness practices. :n00b:
    one of the guys working there, not running it owned a gunshop in whiteland.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Atterbury Contact Info

I understand the frustration of other members of this group. Especially those who cannot visit Fri-Sun.

I really don't know whether posting this information will help or hurt. Hopefully it helps, but that will be up those who use it and how they choose to do so. I would expect that if enough INGO members contact Mr. Mason, it might set the wheels in motion quickly on a solution. Maybe there is a win/win solution somewhere to be found...:dunno:

Info for the private company "Atterbury Shooting Range" can be found in the link below. Notice Ron Mason is listed as the owner in the lower-left of the page.

Atterbury Shooting Range - Edinburgh, Indiana (IN) | Company Profile

Ron Mason's email address is ron2131@aol.com per the link located on this site: Indiana Shooting Ranges

:ingo:

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    They have to pay decent wages to the employees don't they? None of them are doing it for free. Look at it like this.

This is the problem, not finding true gun lovers to actually volunteer, or work part-time for min. wage, which includes free shooting anytime. I finally went to this range after the remodel. I went to the dirt mound range a few times years ago. Seriously, all these guys did was just sit in a window booth for the most part. Yes they are necessary, but the skills that jobs takes, I just don't see it paying over min. wage.

Then again, this is the kind of society we have built. No more _free_ or _volunteer_ labor doing something you love. Instead, always be getting paid, with benefits, etc.. I don't think the prices are that bad, but given what I have to pay in gas to get there (from the east side of Indy), it isn't something I would do on a monthly basis.

I am sure the current price of ammo, guns, gas, etc. is hurting them just as much as everyone else.

I'm not sure what it costs to run the range either, but the last time I was in there the lights were on. So was the AC. They are carrying a significant amount of ammo, cleaning supplies, targets, eye/ear protection in their inventory. Add that to the wages from my previous post and top it off with what they are paying in a lease payment to the DNR and I doubt it's exactly cheap.

This is part of the problem. Have the AC at minimum, when I was there, I recall it being pretty comfortable. Anything they are not selling needs to go. Not selling doesn't mean only things that are not selling, but anything that they don't move a lot of. How many folks here purchase anything there? When I went, I took my own hearing protection, eye protection, targets, and ammo. I would tend to think their ammo would be more costly than Walmart, Meijer, or Dick's. It sounds like they took a shooting range and turned it into a retail establishment of sorts.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I remember seeing ammo for sale at the range and the prices were crazy.

I don't have a problem with a business making profit but trying to retire after selling one box of ammo is a joke.

And they wonder why they are on the brink of closing down.

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    By the way the guy running it, owned a gun shop in Whiteland. The ATF shut him down. Maybe that says something about his buisness practices. :n00b:

Dave just works there. Did you ever happen to go into his shop in Whiteland? I seriously doubt he was shut down. When you get shut down, you get shut down. He told me that line of BS for several years. He prices were outrageous and his inventory was seriously dated.

As for the range. I went one time, and never returned. I miss the dirt.

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Dave just works there. Did you ever happen to go into his shop in Whiteland? I seriously doubt he was shut down. When you get shut down, you get shut down. He told me that line of BS for several years. He prices were outrageous and his inventory was seriously dated.

As for the range. I went one time, and never returned. I miss the dirt.

My reply would look the same.

Only time I went in there was for co2 for Pball guns, he was the cheapest around, and filled them up.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I remember seeing ammo for sale at the range and the prices were crazy.

I don't have a problem with a business making profit but trying to retire after selling one box of ammo is a joke.

And they wonder why they are on the brink of closing down.
    posted prices on ammo this AM--45ACP=23.99 9MM=15.99 380=19.99 40=19.99

38=18.99 308=19.99 30-06=22.99

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom