• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    pointing guns at vehicles, pointing guns at the road up to the range in the parking lot, or, Heaven forbid, pointing guns at shooters on the line

This makes me nervous, :cool: why would you point your gun at any of these items when logic says point the gun in a safe direction? The ground would seem to be a safer location to point your gun - not in the directions listed above?:yesway:

If a buddy asks to let him see your gun and you show it to him - don't you unload it first for "safety" and where do you point it? If your home and you unload your gun what do you point it at? :dunno: neighbors, kids, cars, thin wall?

Not to thread jack but along the same line...
    Has anyone actually seen an RO or gun shop employee ask to see a carried gun to verify that it wasn't loaded when brought to a range or store? They all have signs that say that and I've seen people carry and never get checked? I know people have asked and been told to unload - but they initiated the conversation in my view... Just curious 1500 show is an exception..

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This makes me nervous, :cool: why would you point your gun at any of these items when logic says point the gun in a safe direction? The ground would seem to be a safer location to point your gun - not in the directions listed above?

Yeah, makes me nervous too! That's why it would be optimal, if you are to have a "cold range", to have a fiddle area (a big table with arrows on it like at Thunder Ranch or Shootrite) in front of a big dirt pile so you don't have muzzles a-go-go.:D

Aside: I understand cold ranges are to combat the uneducated/untrained gun owners, but is it not contradictory to have these same uneducated/untrained jacking with guns in unsafe areas? Am I alone in thinking this is simply wrong???

If you "just unload in the parking lot" as people are instructed to at Atterbury, then you have the potential for individuals pointing their guns all over God's Green Earth including into the backs of the shooters at Atterbury.

Pointing at the gun at the ground, especially on ricochet-prone asphalt at Atterbury, may be safer than pointing it at a vehicle or the road, or the backs of shooters on the firing line, but bullets can and do ricochet and find things soft and fleshy.

If a buddy asks to let him see your gun and you show it to him - don't you unload it first for "safety" and where do you point it?

No, I don't play gun show, unless we are at the range and there is a big pile of dirt to point it at. My dad beat this into my thick head--never show off guns outside the range. Whenever someone wants to play gun show in the parking lot or living room, it's best to keep hands in pockets and nod and then whistle at the guy's gun.:D

If your home and you unload your gun what do you point it at?

At home one should optimally have a clearing sandbag or clearing barrel in your armoury.

Sorry, guys, sensitive topic for me. I've had my AD during loading (with a shotgun).

I shudder at how blase (some) gun owners are about loading and unloading. *steps off soap box*:twocents:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Man, This is great news! Of course, any thing can be improved and I am heartened by the constructive discussions. I am looking foreward to shooting at Atterbury soon, and perhaps seeing a familiar face or two. Thanks for the good New Years news, Buzz.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    Much to the chagrin of you Atterbury haters the range will be open on the weekends beginning January 2nd. The range will be staffed by property personal and volunteers until a new concessionaire is contracted to run the range. The hours will be 9-5 on Saturdays and 12-5 on Sundays. The rates and safety rules will remain the same. Cash or checks only at this time. No debit or credit cards. No merchandise will be available at this time. If you want a clean SAFE and reasonably priced place to shoot give the range a try. Existing annual passes will be honored.
    thanks for the update. will you be involved?

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    This is GREAT NEWS!! I live very close to Atterbury and when I am not shooting in my own backyard, I'm over at Atterbury.. Thanks Buzz for keeping us up to date and I look forward to talking with you again the next time I'm there.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I have not been to atterbury since before 9/11, my friend frank how was a ffl dealer use to go all the time, he had a fetage about full-auto weapons, from burp-guns to ar-15's, valmets to ak47's, back then all it was some piles of dirt and some 2x4's that was the range and we always took a pile of brass home with us :rockwoot:one time a county mounte showed up and almost left when we started the auto's up, I think we kinda scared him, franks went and brought him over expained class III weapons to him showed him the books that they have to maintane (permits and federal junk) and let him shoot some and I think he left with a different point of view, you know most of these guys are NOT taught a lot about guns laws:ar15:, I wish frank were still alive, we'd go and shoot and the new and impoved range, glad to hear it will remain open:yesway:

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Glad to hear it. Hope to get there soon. Although, I prefer to shoot at a couple of other places, my Wife prefers Atterbury and I am thankful to have that option open again.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Ok I am all for safe and informed shooting. I am sure there is some way for everyone to feel safe and welcome at this very nice range. Just by the attitude of every side of this I can see why this range has failed.

Is it possible to have good customer service and a safe place to enjoy our hobby? Apparently the customers have talked with their wallets. Maybe taking a step back and figuring how to encourage customers to feel welcome.

It is obvious that the reputation of this amazing range is tarnished. I am not sure why it has taken so long for a new vendor to come in. Knowing the government the way I do, it is because new ones are lined up to take it over. If I were the new vendor I would seriously look at current staff and seek to improve their customer service skills.

Let everyone take a step back and lets improve it. We did pay for it. It is a shame because I am sure it is already on the chopping block if it does not succeed again.

immortallyinsane

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been going to Atterbury for years. Sometimes by myself, my kids, wife and even groups of friends. The staff there has always been nice and professional. I have seen a few incidents were patrons were asked to leave, but they were always acting in an unsafe manor or shooting the baffles. I myself have even been politely asked to tone it down due to rapid fire right after I bought my GSG5. That of course, was my mistake.

I hope everything works out, I will continue to shoot there.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Sounds like many aspects or Attebury have changed over the years. I personally quit going there many years ago after dealing with a drunk who couldn't safely handle his guns. Never found shooting relaxing when others are careless. I am sure range officers help. The Attebury irresponsible's from years ago helped me to just build my own range.

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    I have to agree, sometimes the range officers were a little more abrasive than one would like. I also like the fact that I felt pretty safe shooting there. I'll take safety over friendliness any day. If you take the time to get to know them, you’ll find they are a great group of guys!
    I’m probably a perfect example of why we need those guys. A couple of years ago when I was in my 20’s(maybe a few more) I remember going to atterbury with my .22 marlin and I didn’t have a clue about range procedures. I doubt that I ever cleared my rifle before heading down range. Thank god nothing happened, and I’ve come a long way since then, but you need guys like Buzz to teach you the ropes. Not everyone was brought up with firearms.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Buzz: My continued refusal to be a returning patron had nothing to do with the operations of the range being "too safe".

The range website advertised, I believe, $7 for the first hour, and then $5 for subsequent hours. Imagine my surprise when I was told $20 for only one hour! When I questioned this price that was contrary to the website, the response I received was, "If you don't like it, don't shoot here." I took his advise and never returned.

I received no response when I filed a formal complaint to the property manager, as well as the state DNR director, of this incident. However, when I relayed my experience to friends and family who've also given business to the range, they informed me of their discontent as well, citing a number of other issues.

I viewed a cell phone video, surrepticiously recorded last summer, of an Atterbury Range Safety Officer physically handling a patron's firearm, when the magazine was visibly out and the action, face up, was locked open. When the owner complained, the RSO forcibly slammed the firearm to the shooting bench. Then too, a report was filed with the state, with no disposition from the parties reported.

I have always been of the opinion, that RSOs should be the most even tempered and fair minded individuals, in their capacity as such. Manners, do, in fact, matter. There are methods of enforcing rules and laws, without overly-alienating the individuals of whom one is charged to enforcing. One also does not have to abandon simple manners and social courtesies learned in Kindergarten, in order to make a point.

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan: "One can disagree, without being disagreeable." I pray that the new concessionare will keep these customer service issues in mind, when he or she decides who will become, or remain, a RSO.
    If they tried to charge you more than $7 to shoot for one hour I agree with you. The most that was ever charged since it has been open was $7 for the first hour and $5 each additoonal hour. A refundable $5 deposit was required. Under 15 years of age the price was cut in half. You could also pay $25 to shoot all day. You need to give it a try when the new vender takes over.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Ok I am all for safe and informed shooting. I am sure there is some way for everyone to feel safe and welcome at this very nice range. Just by the attitude of every side of this I can see why this range has failed.

Is it possible to have good customer service and a safe place to enjoy our hobby? Apparently the customers have talked with their wallets. Maybe taking a step back and figuring how to encourage customers to feel welcome.

It is obvious that the reputation of this amazing range is tarnished. I am not sure why it has taken so long for a new vendor to come in. Knowing the government the way I do, it is because new ones are lined up to take it over. If I were the new vendor I would seriously look at current staff and seek to improve their customer service skills.

Let everyone take a step back and lets improve it. We did pay for it. It is a shame because I am sure it is already on the chopping block if it does not succeed again.
    Have you shot there? Were you verbally abused by one or more of those nasty mean power hungry RSO'S at Atterbury? Just curious. Thanks

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have to agree, sometimes the range officers were a little more abrasive than one would like. I also like the fact that I felt pretty safe shooting there. I'll take safety over friendliness any day. If you take the time to get to know them, you’ll find they are a great group of guys!
    I’m probably a perfect example of why we need those guys. A couple of years ago when I was in my 20’s(maybe a few more) I remember going to atterbury with my .22 marlin and I didn’t have a clue about range procedures. I doubt that I ever cleared my rifle before heading down range. Thank god nothing happened, and I’ve come a long way since then, but you need guys like Buzz to teach you the ropes. Not everyone was brought up with firearms.
    If I have 20-60 shooters on the range (which is about 75 yards long) and I see someone mishandle a firearm at the other end of the range, I don't have time to walk down to that person and give him a kiss on the cheek and ask him politely, if he would be offended if I asked him not to point that loaded 30-06 at the person next to him. I get on the P.A. and TELL you to point the gun downrange. If that offends anyone that's to bad. You have led a sheltered life. At least you didn't shoot the person next to you. The no holstered or concealed handgun rule is a DNR rule for that range. You read and sign that you understand before you shoot.. No Exceptions. The bottom line is all of those rules are there for a reason. If you do violate a posted rule and get called out for it just wave and get on with your shooting. Thanks Buzz

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    So when exactly is the range going to be open. I loved going there last year and would like to go again this weekend. Is there any possibility?

Top Bottom