• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Much to the chagrin of you Atterbury haters the range will be open on the weekends beginning January 2nd. The range will be staffed by property personal and volunteers until a new concessionaire is contracted to run the range. The hours will be 9-5 on Saturdays and 12-5 on Sundays. The rates and safety rules will remain the same. Cash or checks only at this time. No debit or credit cards. No merchandise will be available at this time. If you want a clean SAFE and reasonably priced place to shoot give the range a try. Existing annual passes will be honored.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    Will these days/times be consistent for awhile or would it be wise to call before coming over?

thanks,

AJB

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Much to the chagrin of you Atterbury haters the range will be open on the weekends beginning January 2nd. The range will be staffed by property personal and volunteers until a new concessionaire is contracted to run the range. The hours will be 9-5 on Saturdays and 12-5 on Sundays. The rates and safety rules will remain the same. Cash or checks only at this time. No debit or credit cards. No merchandise will be available at this time. If you want a clean SAFE and reasonably priced place to shoot give the range a try. Existing annual passes will be honored.

:laugh:

Buzz,
    You sound like a stand up dude. I hope that you get to continue your work under the new concessionaire.

I don't think anyone here hates the Atterbury range we just have some issues with the overall environment and prices. It is a nice range for sure.
    Obviously the customers/owners/tax payers have spoken with their wallets and that's why we have the situation we have right now.

Sorry to side track your post but you took the first shot with the "haters" line.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Good news for the non-haters

For those who like Atterbury, I'm glad to hear it isn't going under completely. Thanks to those who are working to keep it open. It would always be bad news to hear of a range closing (except Don's of course). However, if choosing to drive an hour farther to shoot elsewhere makes me a "hater" then where can I get the T-shirt? :D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't think anyone here hates the Atterbury range we just have some issues with the overall environment and prices. It is a nice range for sure.

I concur. I do not like the cold range stuff but realize that lowest common denominator controls. The one round a second I did not like but can live with.

My issue was being told to "unload my gun in the parking lot" using someone's vehicle as a backstop. Yikes!

YouTube - Lost in space robot DANGER WILL

Glad to know that Atterbury continues on. Hope thing turn around down there.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Great news, as far as I'm concerned. I received a pretty decent .38 Special for Christmas and am anxious to burn up some rounds! :D

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    :laugh:

Buzz,
    You sound like a stand up dude. I hope that you get to continue your work under the new concessionaire.

Obviously the customers/owners/tax payers have spoken with their wallets and that's why we have the situation we have right now.

Sorry to side track your post but you took the first shot with the "haters" line.
    Point well taken. I do think the Atterbury range takes more than its fair share of verbal abuse from a lot of mis-informed people. I have worked at the range for the last 6 years and have met thousands of shooters. Not one of them has come up to me and said I don't like it here because your range is to safe. Lots of people on this forum complain about the safety rules, mis-quote prices and policy and I suspect some of them have not visited the range in several years. Perhaps the new vender, when he is contracted has some new ideas on how to run the range and make a go of it. Thanks Buzz

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I concur. I do not like the cold range stuff but realize that lowest common denominator controls. The one round a second I did not like but can live with.

My issue was being told to "unload my gun in the parking lot" using someone's vehicle as a backstop. Yikes!

YouTube - Lost in space robot DANGER WILL

Glad to know that Atterbury continues on. Hope thing turn around down there.
    Perhaps we can talk to the DNR and get them to install a military style firearm clearing barrel at the entrance to the range house.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    The bid process is now open to everyone that would be intrested in being the contractor to run the range. If you are intrested or know someone that would be, they need to get in touch with Atterbury F&W ASAP to get the info. on the bid package. I believe that are needing the bids by the end of next week so they can review them and have the contract awarded to the new contractor so they can take over the operation of the range ASAP.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Perhaps we can talk to the DNR and get them to install a military style firearm clearing barrel at the entrance to the range house.

I made the suggestion the time I was there.

A big pile of dirt with a "fiddle table" in front of it or a sand-filled clearing barrel would work. Every single time you load or unload the weapon can discharge.

It was simply surreal at Atterbury. We had to unload and reload in the parking lot (when we arrived I noticed the cold range signs. I walked up to the fence and asked an RO where we could clear our weapon. He replied "just right there in the parking lot". I nearly fainted), the least safe place at Atterbury to jack with guns, all in the name of "safety". Kafkaesque to say the least!

I wandered off to the extreme left of the range to find a berm-like feature to load and unload into. However, a big tall dirt or sand berm would be optimal.

To me at least, for all the talk of "safety" at Atterbury to have people loading and unloading guns, pointing guns at vehicles, pointing guns at the road up to the range in the parking lot, or, Heaven forbid, pointing guns at shooters on the line is not safe at all. In fact, it makes no sense to me at all.:twocents:

Top Bottom