• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I was planning on going out to Atterbury with a friend this saturday, and since this is my first outdoor range, just had a general question. I will be bringing my M&P 15-22 and plan on shooting paper targets, and was wondering if they have stands for me to put them on, or if I need to purchase my own stand for them?

I know this may be a dumb question...but I just want to be sure before I get out there and find I need something that I dont have.

rcjack86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Indianapolis/Lafayette
    From my experience, personal weapons are not allowed on Camp Atterbury. They state that on the big signs on the guard shack up front. Please correct me if this is wrong. They also do random vehicle searches.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    They have Pistol ranges, rifle at 50 and 100 yards and I think up on the hill a shotgun range, never fired up there.

I've also not been to the range since the new management took over but alot of Ingoers have and the comments seem good.

It's a really nice range, clean, safe but I don't have any idea what the cost is now.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    :yesway: The range at Atterbury is a very nice range, with good facilities. They can even sell you adhesive targets if you forget your staple gun and tape. They also seem to have a range of ammo for sale at reasonable prices. The folks there are good people, ready to help. Just some of the reasons my wife and I shoot there.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Backstops are provided. All you need is targets and something to attach them with. Also, make sure to have ear and eye protection. It is also a cold range. So no holstered weapons allowed. On the pistol side is 7.5, 15, and 25 yards. They also have 50 and 100 for rifles or shotguns (slugs only). It's $6 per hour per lane. It is a very nice range. Buzz, one of the range officers is a member. He is a very nice and knowledgeable guy. He will have a NRA shirt on. Make sure to say hi and introduce yourself. I'm usualy there every week. Usualy on Sundays though.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    All your questions seem to be answered so I'll just add that Atterbury is a GREAT place to shoot. (It's just so far away for me)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My kids and I have been to Johnson County Park to shoot about a half dozen times since they got new management. They are wonderful folks, this is the safest range I have ever been to. We enjoy it immensely.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Sweet deal. Seems like a good place to shoot and is not too far away from me. Anyone explain the rules? Read through the site and it seems like you have to wait for times to shoot and stuff. I'm guessing that has something to do with standing targets and people wanting to change them out often, but was not sure about it. Seems kind of frustrating to have to go through phases of shooting.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    It's pretty simple. You check in, and if the line is cold, you post your target. When the line goes hot, it is hot for 20 minutes. Post enough targets on your stand to shoot for 20 minutes. When the line goes cold, there's a ~10 minute period to go down range and change your target.

In an hour of shooting time, you'll get 40 minutes or more of hot time.

I was a little annoyed when i first read it, but it works.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If you're the kind of shooter that doesn't like taking direction from a RO or doesn't want a RO looking at and potentially handling your weapons, ASC isn't for you - but if you're willing to follow some basic safety rules and instruction from RO's, you'll have a good time.

I only shoot my bolt guns there - and I remove my bolt and insert a chamber flag when i step away from the bench. My stuff isn't high dollar but I don't enjoy other people grubbing on it - that pretty much keeps me covered.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Wait what? You mean people at the range can come and handle your guns? Like other shooters or just people who run the place? Not a major issue just did not know that. I'd be ok with it cause I'm pretty social with people about my guns and the guns they have. As long as noone decides to klepto my gun I'm good :)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Wait what? You mean people at the range can come and handle your guns? Like other shooters or just people who run the place? Not a major issue just did not know that. I'd be ok with it cause I'm pretty social with people about my guns and the guns they have. As long as noone decides to klepto my gun I'm good :)

Just the ROs verify that each firearm is unloaded before they allow you to change targets. It is strict, but I would rather that when I am surrounded by shooters I don't know.

I've since joined up with the Martinsville club. $85 a year, is much more reasonable and I can go prone on a mat easier, when that was a hassle at Atterbury.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Ok. That's pretty sweet. Definitely would not want to be shot in the back by some jack not paying attention. Hmmmm Martinsville is closer to me than Atterbury wonder if it would be worth looking into...

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have shot at Atterbury several times and like the structured shooting event. When you dont know the other shooters and there are so many lanes structure (rules) is necessary.
    I think it is very reasonably price at only $6/hour. Shoot up a lot of ammo in a couple hours!!
    Dont forget a stapler to attach the targets. I went once without one because I had self sticking targets and it blew in a rain storm that got the target holders wet and then the targets would not stay attached, now I just staple them all!

Top Bottom