• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    My plan is to try to run one of these classes next year. Question I have is, are people allowed to attend these classes as just an observer? I would like to observe what one is really like, and to gain information on exactly what equipment I would need to get between now and then.

I HATE going into anything blind.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    You want to run the class as in teach it, or host another instructor? If its the former, and you are qualified, shouldn't you already know what you will need?

More importantly, why not just attend the class and learn first hand? The best instructors and teachers I have worked with are perpetual students. You would probably learn more than you think. Are you looking for someone to let you observe for free?

Or, you just want to attend a course? If that's the case: read some reviews, pick a course you feel fits what you want to learn and jump in. If you go as an observer, you'll wish you could participate. It sounds intimidating, but my experience has been that most classes are comfortable and fun and you'll be fine just jumping in to it.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My plan is to try to run one of these classes next year. Question I have is, are people allowed to attend these classes as just an observer? I would like to observe what one is really like, and to gain information on exactly what equipment I would need to get between now and then.

I HATE going into anything blind.

I am sure for full price you would be allowed to observe. Every class has a required equipment list.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    I am sure for full price you would be allowed to observe. Every class has a required equipment list.

No I wouldn't expect to be allowed to observe for free.:rolleyes: My intention would NOT be OR is not to somehow "learn" without paying. Just like to see what others are in fact using as far as equipment other than obviously an AR before I bought mine.

Just kind of thinking out loud I guess as far as wondering about just observing one before I signed up for one. Guess not.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Dude,
    just sign up for a class. Read the suggested gear list, read some reviews online with a grain of salt. Relax. Go. Learn. Expect to make mistakes (that is part of learning). ;) Correct the mistakes and drive on.

Who cares what anyone else is using. Just because someone else is using X or Y doesn't necessarily make it right for you and your intended purpose.

Don't worry about going in "blind." I know people who have attended multiple courses that still go in "blind."

• Louis Awerbuck is coming in August to Boone County. He is the most competent and low stress instructor I have ever seen. Yavapai Firearms Academy

• Ken Campbell also runs pistol and rifle courses that are very low stress and supportive. Training Announcements

• Pat Rogers is running a beginning rifle class in July. Don't expect a group hug with Pat. :): Expect to get some solid info and skills. :yesway:E.A.G. Tactical

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    No I wouldn't expect to be allowed to observe for free.:rolleyes: My intention would NOT be OR is not to somehow "learn" without paying. Just like to see what others are in fact using as far as equipment other than obviously an AR before I bought mine.

Just kind of thinking out loud I guess as far as wondering about just observing one before I signed up for one. Guess not.

I don't think anyone was trying to give you a hard time. I wont say that no one would let you watch, but you'd probably have to pay the entry fee. It's hard to watch a class and not learn what's being taught. If you're gonna pay, you might as well jump in there and get the full experience. Get around online and look for some After Action Reports (AARs) and course reviews. There are tons of them on this site and others for most of the courses you'll find around here.

As far as equipment, most instructors provide a gear list. But you'll find the whole spectrum of different people at most classes. Everything from guys with bare-bones commie rifles and magazines stuck in pockets to the guy with a $3000 rifle with $1000 red dot and more vests, MOLLE and Cammo than you'd find in a whole company in Iraq. It just depends on the goals, means, and attitudes of the students. You also find that the students with less gear often perform better. Not always though.

Anyway, if you're interested in taking a class, definitely take the recommendations here, read some reviews, ask questions of the instructors before you fork over the cash, ask questions here about people's experiences. You'll get the info you need. And definitely take a class. Training is fun, and much more important than gear.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Buy the Magpul Carbine I or II DVDs. That should give you a good idea of what to expect for about $30.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I always bring an "ammo boy" with me to any classes. I don't like a sore thumb, it throws off my shooting. Some of my ammo boys have gone on to great shooting careers. :):

Seriously, every class I have taken was to learn something new. Just jump on in and have fun. You WILL have fun...Watching is not an option.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OP when you say run, are you saying as an instructor, teaching tactics, or as a business venture with someone else running the show?

Anyways, they'll never let a "potential" competitor watch one of their classes for free.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    OP when you say run, are you saying as an instructor, teaching tactics, or as a business venture with someone else running the show?

Anyways, they'll never let a "potential" competitor watch one of their classes for free.

Ow wow, I just assumed he meant he was going to "attend" one next year. never looked at it from that angle. That would be a little strange.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ow wow, I just assumed he meant he was going to "attend" one next year. never looked at it from that angle. That would be a little strange.

Lol, now I'm reading it your way. That's why I'm asking for clarification. But hey, I knew a guy who attended a Krav class for a few weeks, and then opened up his own "dojo," indicating that he "taught" the art (he did know other stuff though).

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Bad choice of words on my part. I should have typed attend/take.

I have watched the 1st Magpul Carbine DVD, and didn't know if all classes are about the same. Thanks to cedartop for the link, that is the kind of info I am looking for. Do all carbine classes require a sidearm, or are some just with a carbine?

Another question I have, are they ANY places near Indy that sell chest rigs, mag carriers, etc...?:xmad: I have been looking at the Ten Speed M4 chest rig. I want something simple and light weight. It would be nice to actually look/try on stuff opposed to just seeing it online.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Do all carbine classes require a sidearm, or are some just with a carbine?

I can't speak for the other classes. In ours we won't turn you away if you don't have a handgun, but you will miss out on some of the instruction, mainly transitions. This is an important skill if your carbine malfunctions or runs dry during close encounters. It is demonstrably faster to transition to a sidearm then reload or clear a malfunction in the carbine.

Top Bottom