Attended my First Appleseed, need rifle upgrades!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlzoiss

Plinker
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Ok, so after asking about which rifle last December, I finally went. It was great. I know why I need the Tech-SIGHTS now and they are ordered, but with my Ruger 10/22 I was having trouble loading the magazine (it was sticking if it wasn't held at the exact angle) and quickly releasing it. I see that many people upgrade the magazine release, but what would be the most logical and easiest option if my plans are only for Appleseed and not hunting, or anything else that I know of? I also read that many people upgrade the bolt release at the same time, would that make sense for me?

This is what I have: Ruger® 10/22® Distributor Exclusives Autoloading Rifle Model 1133

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Another option was taught to me by my buddy Indygunworks on here. Epoxy some rocks to the bottom of your mag, as well as a loop of 550 cord. That will make your mags either drop free, or easy to drop (using the 550 cord)

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    The aftermarket mag release is very nice to have. Another nice upgrade is the auto-bolt release with extended bolt lock tab(about $12) I did both for my wife's 10-22 and she absolutely loves them.
    Both items are easily installed by anyone with basic mechanical ability as well.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Another option was taught to me by my buddy Indygunworks on here. Epoxy some rocks to the bottom of your mag, as well as a loop of 550 cord. That will make your mags either drop free, or easy to drop (using the 550 cord)

I didn't think of the rocks, but I duct taped some 550 cord to make a loop at the bottom of my Marlin 795 mags and it made it very easy to strip them out if they didn't drop free when I popped the mag release.

loony1

Master
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    We carry KIDD parts for you to upgrade your 10-22 any way you want, give us a call or a pm and I can give you pricing on anything you are looking for.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have been to several Appleseeds and I love going. I think that they like to tell people that you don't need a special, modified rifle to learn marksmanship. However, there are some things that I would recommend to everyone taking a 10/22 to Appleseed.

1. Extended mag release. I sanded off the sharp corners of my mags and they drop right out. You have to work on them a little bit.
    Edit - Hey, I just noticed that the picture of the rifle that you linked to has the extended mag release on it already. You got it.
    2. Auto Bolt Release mod. You can buy the modified part or easily modify your stock bolt release. See internet for instructions.
    3. The triggers on 10/22 rifles purchased recently are terrible. They have 8 to 9 lb pull. I installed a Power Custom Hammer and Sear kit. It is now a 2-3/4 trigger.
    4. Tech Sights are a great addition.

The easiest way to get the best set up is to buy the whole trigger group from Timney or Kidd. You just drop it in the receiver and put the pins in. Done. You may even find that the cost is pretty fair compared to buying bits and pieces that you have to put together.

I use the same rifle for squirrel hunting and it all works well.

If you do these mods you will be scoring much better the next time you go to Appleseed. Have fun.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Like it was said above. I take a small loop of 550 cord, put a rock on top of the knot, set it on the bottom of the mag and add 5 minute epoxy. The rocks weight always makes the mag drop free, but if for some reason it doesn't, all you have to do is give a quick tug on the loop and out it comes.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You won’t go wrong with KIDD parts all the way … Welcome to Kidd Innovative Design - Why Be Average? (830) 557-KIDD(5433)

As a minimum install:

1. Auto Bolt Release – Part No, 55
    2. Bolt Buffer – Part No. 12
    3. Magazine Release Levers - Interchangeable – Part No. 52

Other very nice parts to add:

1. 10/22 Trigger Kit – Part No. 95
    2. Weight Tuning Springs – Part No. 113
    3. 10/22 Bolt – Part No. 31
    4. Cocking Assembly – Part No. 51
    5. Receiver Pin Kit – Part No. 73
    6. Take Down Screw – Part No. 15

Add Tech Sights, GI web sling and sling swivels, a few extra magazines and you have easily spent 3x as much in aftermarket parts as the original rifle!

But the results are worth every penny.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Fair enough. I find it rather odd that ruger doesn't use a polypropylene buffer as standard anyways... they are definitely cheaper. (not the kid rubber wrapped metal pin ones but the straight plastic ones.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    We are doomed. There is no hope left if people are learning to "game" Appleseed rifles.

That isn't what its all about folks. Were you listening during the talks?

Having said that, I earned the patch with a Mossberg 44 bolt action rifle. it isn't the rifle, it is the RIFLEMAN... To learn to become a RIFLEMAN.

Please tell me you get it?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Got it!

No amount of modifications to a rifle will score enough points to earn anything if the person shooting the rifle doesn’t do their part. That requires learning from experienced instructors and practice.

However, I’m not sure I understand your opposition to upgrading/modifying a rifle to make it easier to operate (auto bolt release, magazine release), easier to shoot (trigger work, bolt work), and just a lot more fun to shoot.

People have been modifying their guns since the first gun was created.

People also have been missing targets since the first gun was created if they don’t apply the lessons learned from instruction such as Appleseed.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just food for thought, I built a NICE 10-22 for my first appleseed. It had all the bells and whistles. I could not score above 170-180 with it. The same day I switched to a scoped bolt action rifle with a good trigger and got my patch with room to spare.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Got it!

No amount of modifications to a rifle will score enough points to earn anything if the person shooting the rifle doesn’t do their part. That requires learning from experienced instructors and practice.

However, I’m not sure I understand your opposition to upgrading/modifying a rifle to make it easier to operate (auto bolt release, magazine release), easier to shoot (trigger work, bolt work), and just a lot more fun to shoot.

People have been modifying their guns since the first gun was created.

People also have been missing targets since the first gun was created if they don’t apply the lessons learned from instruction such as Appleseed.

My hero is Samuel Whittemore. He was a RIFLEMAN. I aspire to be like him when the chips are falling all around me. I don't know if I can. I hope I can. But I don't know if I can. I am untested.

If you missed that part in the oral's at Appleseed, I strongly urge you to do some research. Samuel Whittemore, 78 years old. Could he even see his front sight? I don't know.

I'm sure he modified his weapons to his liking and ease of use, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a RIFLEMAN.

Do you get it now?

It isn't about scores on a paper target.

Last edited:

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    You know, after I heard that story and the part about him possibly fathering more children after he should have died, all I could think about was...how old was his wife?!?

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Mlzoiss you were doing a great job on the line and you had the teachable attitude. that is the most important thing. What ol'huff and slough are getting at is that a lot of people show up with there 1k kidd race rifles and think that the rifle alone will do all the work for them. they don't actually listen to what the instructors are saying and showing them. they say well I got this 1000 dollar rifle I don't need to worry about my npoa or blah blah blah and they try to ride the out the rifles ability vs taking the time to learn the fundamentals and apply them.

The tech sights would be a great upgrade and are much needed over the stock sights IMO. that v and brass bead are horrible. You have never had the auto bolt release and you weren't struggling with the factory so there is no need for you to get it. your stock trigger is fine and you were doing well with it.

Your fine and your learning the fundamentals and that is what's important. Practice with what you have. Get the tech sights and just continue to practice dry firing and get to another appleseed when you can :)

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    I saw Frakenstein once. It was a 10-22 that I believe the market would have put about $2200 in to. The owner was convinced he could buy a 220.

I have a stock 10-22 with Tech Sights. It cost about $225. I pose this idea. Bring a race gun to one of my shoots. I'll shoot an AQT with my rifle and one with your race gun. You do the same. Average score wins. You win I'll buy your dinner. I win you gotta bring 3 people, one dude and 2 chicks, to an Appleseed that have never been before.

I believe in my skill as a Rifleman. The rifle doesnt matter. The people that are going to beat me know I'm right anyway. Then I just get to buy a Rifleman dinner.

Top Bottom