• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    So I am truly confused about this. There is non-steel core 5.45x39, correct? If so, then why is everyone belly aching that they are banning the steel core version that clearly violates an existing law?

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    So I am truly confused about this. There is non-steel core 5.45x39, correct? If so, then why is everyone belly aching that they are banning the steel core version that clearly violates an existing law?

Because this is the cheap stuff that was being imported. A large part of the reason people were building/buying AK-74's was this cheap ammo, which is gone now.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yup. The 1080 round Russian surplus cans were all the 7n6. They've yo-yoed around in price from like $90 to $130 to $189, along with the general ammo market. But it's stayed cheaper than the new production stuff, which is right at $250 to $270 for 1000 rounds right now.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The reason I never bought an AK-74 was I knew the gravy train would have to end some day. I figured it would end when it finally sold out, not with this. Wonder if they'll go after steel core 7.62x54? I know it isn't a pistol round, but neither are 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 and they've outlawed importation of them.

And for years people said the AK-74 pistols wouldn't get it banned. Well look where that got us.

How long before they go after steel core 5.56x45 since there are a slew of AR pistols out now?

I bet there hasn't been a cop killed in this country with surplus 5.45. They're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    The reason I never bought an AK-74 was I knew the gravy train would have to end some day. I figured it would end when it finally sold out, not with this. Wonder if they'll go after steel core 7.62x54? I know it isn't a pistol round, but neither are 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 and they've outlawed importation of them.

And for years people said the AK-74 pistols wouldn't get it banned. Well look where that got us.

How long before they go after steel core 5.56x45 since there are a slew of AR pistols out now?

I bet there hasn't been a cop killed in this country with surplus 5.45. They're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
    nothing against leos but i think more of them are killed by idots with handguns then any rifle i would say thats a rare event

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    nothing against leos but i think more of them are killed by idots with handguns then any rifle i would say thats a rare event
    The statistics support this. The vast majority of LEO deaths via firearm are handguns. Criminals don't carry rifles. They are far too hard to conceal.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The reason I never bought an AK-74 was I knew the gravy train would have to end some day. I figured it would end when it finally sold out, not with this.

^Exactly^ I made a post about this 1 1/2 years ago and got slammed for even mentioning it. Well, look what happened. Yes, there is still 5.45 out there obviously but not at the bargain prices it was. I had a 74 3 years ago and it was nothing special. It didn't do anything better than any of my ARs. It was just cheaper to shoot.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

While rifles (all types) used in assaults/murders on LEO's have increased handguns are still the majority of the weapon used. However more LEO's are killed and or injured by bad drivers/vehicle crashes than anything else.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    What we need is an inexpensive AR and cheap .223 ammo. And an inexpensive .308 rifle.

Why buy the Russia stuff if we could our own stuff at a reasonable cost?
    What's stopping our own companies from making cheap items right now? If they could match the Russians' price I'd buy American in a heart beat. I think most people would. American made goods are generally higher quality, but they're two to four times the price. I'd pay a little more to buy American even.

Incubus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    West Central IN
    I saw it for 450 per crate at Knob Creek today. I also saw some "Colt" .223. It was right next to some silver bear .223. Colt must contract it's own ammo from Russia now. The boxes for it, Brown and Silver bear were all identical except for the stickers.:)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hope everyone is saving their unopened cans. Apparently, they are going for $10,000 for a can now. :laugh:

Steel Core AP Armor Piercing ak-74 russian surplus : Rifle Ammunition at GunBroker.com

Who would have thought that Obama would be selling ammo on gunbroker!?

"One sealed can of surplus Russian 5.45x39 steel core. Total rounds inside of the sealed can is 1080. No can opener included. Will ship ground to continental USA for a fixed price of $25.00 This is great ammo for an AK-74 pistol or AR pistol chambered for the round, but check ATF regs before using it. Banned from import by the BATFE because I said so. ( 545 5.45x39 545x39 ammo ammunition )" :):

Ohhhhh wait... Now I see why it's so expensive... "Steel Core AP Armor Piercing ak-74 russian surplus
    545 5.45x39 5.45 7n6 ak74 can armor piercing crate" <=== It must be the armor piercing crate... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom