• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    ATF arrests shop owner | The Journal Gazette, Fort Wayne, Ind.

Michael Zennie

The Journal Gazette

A Bluffton pawnshop owner is facing federal charges he sold firearms to people who aren’t legally allowed to own them and that he falsified documents.

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives arrested 46-year-old Timothy Bryant of Bluffton on Friday after they began investigating him in March, ATF spokeswoman Kim Riddell said.

Bryant, owner of Parlor City Pawn Shop in Bluffton, had a federal license allowing him to sell firearms, Riddell said. But investigators believe he sold guns to people who can’t own firearms and that he faked documents.

Bryant is charged with falsifying documents and selling firearms to prohibited persons.

The investigation included an undercover agent and a cooperating source, Riddell said.

Riddell would not say how many guns Bryant sold illegally, what kind he sold or to what types of offenders. She did say he sold the guns illegally more than once, however.

mzennie@jg.net

I am not sure exactly what to say about this story, other than that I hope that it is not true.

I have never been to that place of business but I have thought of stopping in to see what inventory they had on hand, I just never seemed to have the time to make the stop as I traveled past.

I'll try to keep my eye on this story for any updates and such.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Actually, if the story IS true... Then good on the ATF for pinching him.

We, as a "gun culture" need to abide by the LAW.

An interesting note, however: If he sold firearms to those legally prohibited from possessing firearms, how, then, are those folks not also prosecuted? Unless it was some kind of "sting" operation?

-J-

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I was recently solicited online to sell a gun to a person from another state without using an FFL. I am wondering if it was an undercover operation. I spent a week telling this guy that I could not avoid using an FFL in the various ways he was suggesting. Now I still have the weapon and he had "car repairs" that prevented him from finalizing the deal....

Buckaroo

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was recently solicited online to sell a gun to a person from another state without using an FFL. I am wondering if it was an undercover operation. I spent a week telling this guy that I could not avoid using an FFL in the various ways he was suggesting. Now I still have the weapon and he had "car repairs" that prevented him from finalizing the deal....

Buckaroo

I would have been interested to see what could transpire if you got a local/national investigative reporter in on this. Next time let me know, I know an ABC 20/20 Producer. They might like to do a show called "To catch a Gun criminal" or something. We can at least ask the producer if they'd be interested in helping put an apparent criminal behind bars with a sting.

Myrk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I did not see a story about a local shop here being closed, but according to another gun shop the ATF closed it down. I have been in there many times, learned some simple things, put a high rise scope mount on, things like that. Has anyone heard the real story about Boom and Bang shop? ( New Haven )

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Actually, if the story IS true... Then good on the ATF for pinching him.

We, as a "gun culture" need to abide by the LAW.

An interesting note, however: If he sold firearms to those legally prohibited from possessing firearms, how, then, are those folks not also prosecuted? Unless it was some kind of "sting" operation?

-J-

I do agree with you. Problem is, though, we are required here to trust the BATF, and that is simply impossible. They have a record of lying under oath to get warrants, lying under oath during criminal trials, executing unarmed American citizens accused of no crime while they are breast feeding their babies, of lying to the press to cover illegal activities, of entrapping suspects, and all manner of other thuggish activity. BATF agents are either liars, or the kind of people so morally bankrupt that they willingly associate with known liars and murderers, willingly work side by side with them, and willingly back their actions in court. No BATF agent is a loyal American, none of them believe in the Constitution based on their own record. So, here's hoping if this guy IS convicted, it isn't solely on the word of BATF.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I did not see a story about a local shop here being closed, but according to another gun shop the ATF closed it down. I have been in there many times, learned some simple things, put a high rise scope mount on, things like that. Has anyone heard the real story about Boom and Bang shop? ( New Haven )

Per Shooters in New Haven he was selling to the wrong people and not keeping track of his sales in his book. And from what I understand it's not the first time he has been in trouble with the ATF. I was only in there once and he had a lot of guns for a little shop!

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Should have seen all the ATF agents and their nice new cars. They had the gate closed and a guard at the gate while they arrested the owner.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

Buckaroo

I think in your case though....Indiana Resident FTF to Indiana Resident in the state of Indiana it has to be proven that you were knowingly selling a firearm to a person(s) illegal....i.e. felon

I actually think the law is more relaxed than that. I think it just has to happen in Indiana and not by two Indiana Residents but just one. (don't quote me on this)

Maybe a Mod can pull the law out of their hat for me.

Most people ask for LTCH for FTF for this reason.

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    This has nothing to do with a LTCH, as it is not required by law to privately sell firearms.

The shop was breaking the law.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Per Shooters in New Haven he was selling to the wrong people and not keeping track of his sales in his book. And from what I understand it's not the first time he has been in trouble with the ATF. I was only in there once and he had a lot of guns for a little shop!

Back in 1998 - 2000, I was in a small gun shop in New Haven and think that it was in a strip mall close probably to the HI Express or similar. Ist time customer and the owner was complaining to me that he was being harassed by the ATF. Been too long so I do not remember the shop name. Could this be the same one?

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Back in 1998 - 2000, I was in a small gun shop in New Haven and think that it was in a strip mall close probably to the HI Express or similar. Ist time customer and the owner was complaining to me that he was being harassed by the ATF. Been too long so I do not remember the shop name. Could this be the same one?

That would be it!

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    This has nothing to do with a LTCH, as it is not required by law to privately sell firearms.

The shop was breaking the law.

Noooo, but this is exactly why most of us won't sell to someone without an LTCH. If the buyer has an LTCH, the feds will have a tough time proving we "knowingly" sold to someone that we shouldn't have. It's called CYA.

As for this guy, I'm sure he didn't want to make money... he just wanted to sell guns. :draw:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I do agree with you. Problem is, though, we are required here to trust the BATF, and that is simply impossible. They have a record of lying under oath to get warrants, lying under oath during criminal trials, executing unarmed American citizens accused of no crime while they are breast feeding their babies, of lying to the press to cover illegal activities, of entrapping suspects, and all manner of other thuggish activity. BATF agents are either liars, or the kind of people so morally bankrupt that they willingly associate with known liars and murderers, willingly work side by side with them, and willingly back their actions in court. No BATF agent is a loyal American, none of them believe in the Constitution based on their own record. So, here's hoping if this guy IS convicted, it isn't solely on the word of BATF.

Are you serious?!?!?!? ALL ATF Agents are the way you speak of.......yeah right, and all gun owners not involved in law enforcement are cool aid drinking tin foil hat wearing nut jobs......sounds pretty stupid doesn't it? Are there probably ATF Agents or any other type of cops that have lied to get what they want? Sure, just like I know first hand that there are LTCH holders that LIED to get approved for the LTCH.

Way to go......turn another thread into a cop bashing thread. Maybe what INGO needs is a dedicated room for all the cop-haters to go and spew whatever they want and we can come read it when we need some good sh**er reading material or a good laugh.

To the OP and the other's contributing to the discussion.......sorry for the thread jack.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    C'mon, really?????? I have FAMILY as well as friends in the ATF and DEA. They are none of those things you describe. It is easy to label people for whom you do not know as criminals and morally bankrupt. Once again I see the hypocrocy here. Many fellow gun owners have no problem stereotyping other groups but get angry when an "outside" group labels gunowners as backwoods, uneducated, hillbillies. Stereotypes do not work for ANYONE, regardless if you like them or not. Focus on known individuals rather than faceless groups.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    C'mon, really?????? I have FAMILY as well as friends in the ATF and DEA. They are none of those things you describe. It is easy to label people for whom you do not know as criminals and morally bankrupt. Once again I see the hypocrocy here. Many fellow gun owners have no problem stereotyping other groups but get angry when an "outside" group labels gunowners as backwoods, uneducated, hillbillies. Stereotypes do not work for ANYONE, regardless if you like them or not. Focus on known individuals rather than faceless groups.

I have BATF agents on a professional level. Knowing them, and then studying what they've done is what formed my opinion of them. Sorry, but I would disown a family member that chose to join a group of people so fond of anti-Constitutional actions, and known for their outright thuggery. They are every thing I said they are. I know you and FPD are cops, and will defend any cops no matter what actions they take. The only hypocrisy I see is someone wearing a badge, someone supposedly dedicated to enforceing the law and protecting people who support the murders and perjury that BATF engages in. You say focus on known individuals... I did, and the disgust only grew. Sorry bout your family, sorry people who wear badges support the lawlessness of their fellow law enforcement "professionals." Reckon we both know you'll never be invited to dinner. Isn't that a terrible loss? :rolleyes:

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    If your from the area, like I am, you will KNOW that the law enforcement officers conducted themselves professionally and worked hard for their money on this one. Please read the Bluffton News Banner article about this topic from yesterday.

I know there are good cops and their are bad cops and their are plenty of examples of abuse of power, however in this particular case this is not one of them. I am glad that the ATF conducted an investigation and as the result of that investigation felons and restricted people have less of a chance of getting weapons in my area. I live in the area with my family and for obvious reasons don't want criminals to have access to weapons.

Let me mention this before anyone else does. This shop was some of my local competition, very minor and nothing we really ever noticed, but still competition. Competition is good, but if someone feels the need to break the law while competing then don't cry in your cheerios when you get busted.

With all that said, let me mention that we are still innocent in this county until proven guilty.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have BATF agents on a professional level. Knowing them, and then studying what they've done is what formed my opinion of them. Sorry, but I would disown a family member that chose to join a group of people so fond of anti-Constitutional actions, and known for their outright thuggery. They are every thing I said they are. I know you and FPD are cops, and will defend any cops no matter what actions they take. The only hypocrisy I see is someone wearing a badge, someone supposedly dedicated to enforceing the law and protecting people who support the murders and perjury that BATF engages in. You say focus on known individuals... I did, and the disgust only grew. Sorry bout your family, sorry people who wear badges support the lawlessness of their fellow law enforcement "professionals." Reckon we both know you'll never be invited to dinner. Isn't that a terrible loss? :rolleyes:

If someone does something wrong, cop or not, then I have no problem pointing it out to them and have done so on many occaisions. In fact, I have even put a cop in jail, but I did let him change out of uniform before I locked him up. Any comments on that one oh great wise one???? It is people like you that give the honest gunowners the reputaion that we are all nutjobs and why they all look at you with crazy eyes when you OC. It may be your right to do, but it's the actions of you and people like you that make them all freak out about it. Feel free to go back and look at my prior posts, I have stated many times that I did not agree with the actions of the officer being talked about. If you can not see that then maybe you should go change your tinfoil and have another cold glass of coolaid. I would love to aurgue this more with you, but frankly you are not worth the effort.

Top Bottom