• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    If you know what the OSI model is, ignore this.

If people had any idea of everything that happens all along the way, in between heartbeats, when they click to go to a website, make a call, or send a text; it would blow their mind that that any of this $ht ever works!

That it's as reliable as it is is nothing short of amazing. It's so complex, that it doesn't really take much to muck it up bad, which makes it an easy target for both bad actors and Murphy's Law. So we make it more complex to safeguard against those two, and.... so the cycle of doom continues.

... and everyone takes it for granted, like it's indoor plumbing, HVAC, and electrical power. :)
    Apropos of nothing, but when I started work as a C programmer at the old AT&T (*THE* phone company) in the 80s, I learned that over 100,000 lines of code were executed between the time you went off-hook and when you received dial tone.

Oh, and the only thing that I remember about the OSI model from the old CCNA certification classes is: Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away. :)

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I never used the cellophane, but I'm curious now, how many thicknesses it took to be close?

You would use it to find out if the points were closing. And my dad told me many times if that cellophane got stuck in there someone would beat their brains out wondering why they don’t have spark.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Apropos of nothing, but when I started work as a C programmer at the old AT&T (*THE* phone company) in the 80s, I learned that over 100,000 lines of code were executed between the time you went off-hook and when you received dial tone.

Oh, and the only thing that I remember about the OSI model from the old CCNA certification classes is: Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away. :)
    :) Wow, the suasage pizza bit brings back memories. IIRC if you say it backwards, All People Seem To Need Data Processing. That was the family friendly version at least.:cool:

• Haha
    Reactions: oze

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :) Wow, the suasage pizza bit brings back memories. IIRC if you say it backwards, All People Seem To Need Data Processing. That was the family friendly version at least.:cool:
    As a COBOL programmer, the only mnemonic I remember was for the different divisions of a COBOL program.
    I = Identification Division
    Enjoy = Environment Division
    Data = Data Division
    Processing = Procedure Division.

Yes, I'm old.

Top Bottom