• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just got an alert on my Citizen app saying that AT&T service is down in multiple states, with customers unable to complete calls between other mobile carriers. Some areas of the U.S. are reporting iisues with contacting 911. Verizon is reporting issues in the northeast and midwest as well.

Anyone having problems?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I noticed Verizon took extremely long to text a photo at about 1:30 pm today. 5g full bars and 3.8 gbps download speeds. Upload I did not note and I was uploading the photo. Went thru but not before boss texted back to send the picture.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Yes. Multiple outbound calls took a long time to "connect" and start ringing. I chalked it up to network congestion - like trying to get onto westbound I465 from N. Meridian this afternoon. Just like the roads, if one major road or intersection gets shut down, everything gets diverted. If traffic was already heavy, the problem spreads crazy fast. Also just like the roads, it could be construction (equipment or configuration changes gone sideways), or an accident (something failed), or just too much traffic all at once .................. or it could be a hack.

We'll never know unless they want to tell us. If they want to tell us, I don't trust what they're saying anyway!

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    If you know what the OSI model is, ignore this.

If people had any idea of everything that happens all along the way, in between heartbeats, when they click to go to a website, make a call, or send a text; it would blow their mind that that any of this $ht ever works!

That it's as reliable as it is is nothing short of amazing. It's so complex, that it doesn't really take much to muck it up bad, which makes it an easy target for both bad actors and Murphy's Law. So we make it more complex to safeguard against those two, and.... so the cycle of doom continues.

... and everyone takes it for granted, like it's indoor plumbing, HVAC, and electrical power. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

If people had any idea of everything that happens all along the way, in between heartbeats, when they click to go to a website, make a call, or send a text; it would blow their mind that that any of this $ht ever works!

That it's as reliable as it is is nothing short of amazing. It's so complex, that it doesn't really take much to muck it up bad, which makes it an easy target for both bad actors and Murphy's Law. So we make it more complex to safeguard against those two, and.... so the cycle of doom continues.

... and everyone takes it for granted, like it's indoor plumbing, HVAC, and electrical power. :)
    I'm sure you're right! When I was a programmer, our customers would say things like, "Can't you guys just push a button and change this?" They have no idea. And I was a COBOL programmer, so I imagine my mind would be blown by what you're talking about!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    There is life beyond electronic networks.
    Zeiner Diodes, Capacitors, Points, Solid Core Spark Plug Wires, Drag Pipes,
    Green 50W oil, Valve Train Noise and a headlight that is mandatory that it is on when the engine is running.
    Its the more better stereo, one can have.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Zeiner Diodes, Capacitors, Points, Solid Core Spark Plug Wires, Drag Pipes,
    Green 50W oil, Valve Train Noise and a headlight that is mandatory that it is on when the engine is running.
    Its the more better stereo, one can have.
    Raise your hand if you’ve ever used the cellophane wrapper from a pack of cigarettes to set the points on an old-fashioned distributor. Bonus points for those who have been zapped doing same.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Raise your hand if you’ve ever used the cellophane wrapper from a pack of cigarettes to set the points on an old-fashioned distributor. Bonus points for those who have been zapped doing same.
    LOL, Ive used the cardboard from a pack of matches before.
    As a kid I picked up a Vortex small block magneto off of my dads workbench.
    About the time he told me to put that down, I grunted down on the drive gear and turned it. Fire flew from 2-4 plug wires and bit me and I tossed that mag across his shop.
    And yes, I took a beating and had to work off a cap and rotor.
    50 some years later, I'm still a bit gun shy about checking for spark.

When I was going through the three things to get this old Triumph running it would not fire on ether, I hooked up one of the spark plug lights to check for spark. With the no battery capacitor system it only needs a few volts to fire the plugs. I could see nothing flashing with that inline bulb and I mumbled to myself and then laughed about how mad my father got and grabbed that plug and kicked it over.
    It have me a few mild tingles like a pezzo grill igniter, I went not bad.
    After a good look through the firing system, I saw it had both plug wires had been spliced and after replacing them I thought briefly about checking for spark again. And the right side of my brain went,,, ahhhhh yea lets not do the again stupid.

Tossed in some ether and it banged to life.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass

1717602661428.png

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    My cricket(AT&T) phones are working. Asked my daughter in southbend and she hadn't a problem.

On another note...my Mediacom internet has been out since 5pm yesterday. They say a cut fiber optic cable

Internet back up about 3pm

Last edited:
    Top Bottom