As many as 10 people reported shot at university, Huntsville, Ala.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Interesting points to this story:
    1) The shooter was female. That's unusual enough in itself.
    2) In the article I read, they quoted two female students. One heard screams. The other had petitioned the school to allow students with permits/licenses to carry, was turned down, and states very clearly that she is scared to be at school without her firearm.

Unlikely, but maybe now the school will listen to the second student.

Maybe. I think the tide might be turning just a little. I just read the same story (at least I think it was the same one)

The interesting part is WHERE I read it:
    c.gif

msnbc_ban.gif
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MSNBC.com[/FONT]

Professor charged in university shooting
    Reports: Female suspect had been denied tenure; 3 faculty members killed
    NBC, msnbc.com and news services
    updated 3:19 a.m. ET, Sat., Feb. 13, 2010

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - A biology professor was charged with murder late Friday in the shooting deaths of three colleagues at the campus.
    Amy Bishop, a Harvard University-trained neuroscientist, was reportedly upset over being denied tenure.
    Authorities say the researcher opened fire during an afternoon faculty meeting at the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus, killing the three colleagues and injuring three other school employees. Bishop has been charged with one count of capital murder, which means she could face the death penalty if convicted.
    Bishop, 42, was taken Friday night in handcuffs from a police precinct to the county jail and could be heard saying, "It didn't happen. There's no way .... they are still alive."
    Police said they were also interviewing a man as "a person of interest."
    The mayhem occurred in a third-floor conference room of the Shelby Center, a 200,000-square-foot science building on campus.
    University spokesman Ray Garner said Friday night the three killed were Gopi K. Podila, the chairman of the Department of Biological Sciences, and two other faculty members, Maria Ragland Davis and Adriel Johnson.
    Two others were in critical condition, and a third who was wounded was upgraded to fair condition. The injured were identified as department members Luis Cruz-Vera and Joseph Leahy and staffer Stephanie Monticello. Their specific conditions were not released.
    Sammie Lee Davis said his wife, Maria Ragland Davis, was a researcher who had tenure at the university. In a brief phone interview, he said he was told his wife was at a meeting to discuss the tenure status of another faculty member who got angry and started shooting.
    He said his wife had mentioned the shooter before, describing the woman as “not being able to deal with reality” and “not as good as she thought she was.”
    According to media reports, Bishop had been denied tenure Friday morning. She apparently returned to a campus faculty meeting in the afternoon and opened fire, university officials and witnesses told NBC station WAFF-TV.
    It was unclear how many people were inside the conference room at the time. Garner said the suspected shooter was apprehended outside the building without incident.
    Nick Lawton, the son of a biology professor at the school, said his father was not among the victims, but he did not know much more.
    Lawton, 25, was exercising when a friend phoned him to tell him about the shooting. He called his father, Robert Lawton, and found out that he was not hurt, then he let the rest of his family know.
    "All I know is that my father is OK," Nick Lawton told The Associated Press.
    'I'm scared'
    Erin Johnson, a sophomore and a student aide, told the Huntsville Times there was a biology faculty meeting under way when she heard screams coming from the room.
    University police secured the building and students were cleared from it. There was still a heavy police presence on campus Friday night, with police tape cordoning off the main entrance to the university.
    Gina Hammond, a UAH student, told WAFF that she lobbied the University of Alabama trustees to allow students with gun permits to carry their weapons on campus. She was turned down.
    “I’m scared to go back to school,” Hammond said. “However, if they were to allow me to carry my pistol on campus, I would not be as scared.
    “... I’m sorry that nobody in that room had a pistol to save at least one person’s life,” Hammond said.
    "This is a tragedy of immeasurable proportions and a terrible a blow to our community," said U.S. Rep. Parker Griffith, R-Ala., in whose district the shootings occurred. "Now is a time for thoughtful prayer for those affected."
    Cell research
    Bishop joined the UAH faculty in 2003. Her areas of research focused on the role of gases, especially nitrous oxide, on the central nervous system.

Her lab was working on the development of a "neural computer" that would use living neurons — taken either from stem cells or fish.
    She was also known for her work on cell growth.
    In June 2006, The Huntsville Times published a story involving Bishop and her husband, Jim Anderson, chief science officer of Cherokee Labsystems in Huntsville.
    Together, the two designed a portable cell incubator that eliminates many of the problems with cultivating tissues in the fragile environment of the Petri dish, according to the article.
    "It's great to actually see it hit the market, and the sooner the better," Bishop said in the story. "My colleagues think it will change the face of tissue culture. It will allow us, as researchers, to not live in the lab and control our tissue culture conditions, including the sensitive cultures including those like adult stem cells.
    "The conditions to differentiate those have to be exact, and the incubator will help that."
    Seed money
    The invention earned the couple $25,000 of seed money in a business competition.
    The Huntsville campus has about 7,500 students in northern Alabama, not far from the Tennessee line. The university is known for its scientific and engineering programs and often works closely with NASA.
    The space agency has a research center on the school's campus, where many scientists and engineers from NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center perform Earth and space science research and development.
    It's the second shooting in a week on an area campus. Last Friday, a 14-year-old student was killed in a middle school hallway in nearby Madison, allegedly by a fellow student.
    Mass shootings are rarely carried out by women, said Dr. Park Dietz, who is president of Threat Assessment Group Inc., a California-based violence prevention firm.
    A notable exception was the 1985 rampage by Sylvia Seegrist, who opened fire in a mall in Springfield, Pennsylvania, killing three. Dietz, who interviewed Seegrist after her arrest, said it was possible the suspect in Friday's shooting had a long-standing grudge against colleagues or superiors and felt complaints had not been dealt with fairly.
    The Secret Service has studied 41 attackers in 37 school shooting incidents. Of those, all were male.
    But there have been female school shooters. For example, in February 2008 a female student shot and killed two classmates and then herself at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge.
    © 2010 msnbc.com
    URL: Professor charged in university shooting - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2010 MSNBC.com
    Points to take away from this:

1. As Pami noted, female shooter. Most unusual.
    2. The shooting occurred during an afternoon meeting after the shooter was denied tenure that morning. She had gone home and come back in the interim. Ergo, premeditated.
    3. She was considered unstable even before this happened.
    4. Nonetheless, her violence appears to have been targeted at the head of the department and at others who had the tenure she wanted.
    5. Both students were quoted to say, "I'm scared", but one had the knowledge, probably the skill, but not the tool with which to solve the problem, if she was even there when it happened. She had found a way to manage, not be controlled by, her fear.
    6. Also of note, the student who was quoted to have petitioned for the removal of the restriction on the right to carry was female. Good for her!
    7. The article went on to discuss a different campus shooting as well, at a nearby middle school, wherein a 14 year old had been shot by a classmate. In both cases, those who obey the law are prohibited from being armed.... and those who do not use that fact to their advantage, because they don't care what the law says.
    I hope very much that Pami is right and that they DO start listening to the student who found a way to manage and master her fear, and [strike]allow[/strike]stop forbidding those who obey the law to do likewise.

Blessings,
    Bill

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Bill,

Good article, and I agree with all seven points with the exception of number two which may be taken out of context.
    Number two states that she went home and then came back which is when the shooting started. That part is fact, but it may lead someone to understand that she went home to retreive her handgun, which at this point is still speculation. She may have been carrying the whole time, and gone home for lunch, then losing touch with reality when something was said in the faculty meeting.

Unfortunatly for us, as law abiding citizens, we have been sold down the river by feel good legislation that has actually caused the situation of gun free zone shootings to become even more prevalent. We now advertise to the criminals that they can come to this location and NOT have to worry about being shot at while they are carrying out whatever criminal activity they are contemplating. This is not just applicable to shools and universities, but also shopping malls, stores and restaurants as well.

The gun involved was an inanimate object.
    The criminal was responsible for this act.

The problem is simple to understand for most of us, but somehow we have to be able to be able to express ourselves better to make our legisators understand the difference between gun control and criminal control. Obviously we have failed to do so.
    We will need to educated the educated so they can see how simple this really is to understand.

1) We need criminal control, NOT gun control.
    2.) We need to make our prison system such a horrible experience that nobody would ever want to take the chance on going back there a second time.
    3.) We need to make violent crime a top priority in prison sentencing rather than Federal drug possession limits.
    4.) We need to hold criminals responsible for knowing right from wrong without all the extenuating cercumstances we now let them get by with.
    5.) We need strong legislators who will stand up and say what they think, rather than taking the easy way out and not fighting for more "feel good legislation."

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Oops, accidentally submitted a dupe thread on this event, so I'm moving my comment over here.

Linky: full story from Telegraph. This one has some more details than earlier stories since it was written on the day after the murders took place.

How much longer will it be before people realize that colleges will be safer when citizens who may legally carry firearms everywhere else are permitted to also carry while on campus? WAKE UP, AMERICA!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    TV news this evening reported that this is not the first time she killed someone. They said that several years ago a firearm she was handling "accidently" went off killing I believe a relative. Police went to review it in light of this latest shooting but found her file missing. Believe it hapened in Boston. Will try to find a link.

She killed her brother! Found the link: Police: Ala. professor killed brother in 1986 - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    LA Times story

Comments

A certain comment made me laugh, others made me scared...
    We need gun control for liberals, they are to mentally unstable and if they cant mooch of the taxpayers anymore it will get worse
    wow, this is very shocking, and frightening news. it seems you will not be able to trust anyone even your peers who you think are intelligent. A middle aged family woman who is a professor pulls out a gat and kills, nobody would have ever suspected... I guess we need do a recall and start locking up people who have shot a gun at anyone in their past and have strict security in College Campuses through out the nation. This is just sad and my heart goes out to all of the victim's families.
    Now where are all the nuts who think that teachers in schools and professors in colleges should be allowed to bring handguns on campus? I am a former teacher and soon to be PhD going into an academic college career and I don't want a bunch of crackpots on campus being armed. I am also a US Army Vet (Military Police) and know how to be responsible and respect weapons. Just a month ago a graduate student shot and killed a well-respected professor at my alma matre, the Unversity of NY at Binghamton.

It is amazing how so many could be blind. I encourage you tor ead some of the comments on that page. The 2 that I quoted were about the only ones that wanted more gun control. Everyone else is pushing for campus carry. (as of right now)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    She killed her brother some years back. It may, or may not have been accidental. The anti-2A DA pulled some shenanigans and got the case buried.
    David Codrea covered it at the Gun Rights Examiner.
    Startling and outrageous information is emerging about the alleged University of Alabama in Huntsville shooter. It seems Amy Bishop shot and killed her brother in 1986.

From a statement by Braintree, MA police chief Paul Frazier:
    Officer Solimini recalled the incident as follows: He said he remembers that Ms. Bishop fired a round from a pump action shotgun into the wall of her bedroom. She had a fight with her brother and shot him, which caused his death. She fired a third round from the shotgun into the ceiling as she exited the home. She fled down the street with the shotgun in her hand. At one point she allegedly pointed the shotgun at a motor vehicle in an attempt to get the driver to stop.
    And then we learn this:
    Officer Solimini informed me that before the booking process was completed Ms. Bishop was released from custody without being charged.
    Why on earth would police do that? From TheBostonChannel.com:
    Braintree officers who remember the 1986 shooting said that former police Chief John Polio dismissed detectives from the case and ordered the department to release Amy Bishop after a telephone conversation with former district attorney William Delahunt, who is currently a U.S. congressman from Massachusetts...Polio told NewsCenter 5 he has no memory of telling officers to go home. He said there was an inquest by Delahunt’s office and that the district attorney found that the shooting did not warrant charges.
    Oh, really?
    More at the source. Seems the DA who called off the cops is rated a solid F- and is a darling of the Brady's and the left.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    schools are the best places to shoot up, no one else has a gun(this is sarcasm)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    More info just keeps leaking out about this woman. Apparently she's always been batshiat crazy. She made life a living hell in her old Boston neighbourhood.
    From Solomonia
    By now you've heard all about the University of Alabama shooter, Amy Bishop, the shooting rampage, the old murder she got away with (the "cover-up" and the connection to now retiring Congressman Bill Delahunt), the letter bomb she likely sent...
    Turns out I have a tenuous connection to this woman. You see she used to be the next door neighbor of a good friend of mine in Ipswich (a north shore Boston suburb) for a few years. At the time I used to hang out at his house quite a bit. This was one of those typical suburban neighborhoods with little traffic, lots of kids, smallish houses fairly close together without a lot of fences.
    I remember when the previous neighbor moved out it wasn't long before my friend started complaining. He had a deck in the back of his place that was effectively on the second floor making it very visible to the neighbor's yard and house. So one day I go over to find that he had erected a wooden privacy fence on the side of the deck facing their yard -- and only on that side. So I'm like, "Uhh...isn't that a little uncomfortable. I mean it's obvious you put that there just to block only those people." He tells me he does...not...care. He doesn't want to look at them, and he doesn't want them to look. He hates them, as does the entire neighborhood. Here are some slightly edited reminiscences I just received:
    They were there for 4 or 5 years and then moved to Alabama. When they left we all said "Those poor folks in Alabama"...

...She was such a trouble maker. I disengaged from them early on. I literally did not have any conversation or interaction with either her or her husband (also a nutball) for over 3 years. Nothing...
    ...She made a big stink about the kids playing basketball in the neighborhood. On the day they first moved into the house they drove their moving truck into the basketball post that was situated between our two driveways and under the streetlight. For years all the neighborhood kids played ball there (and so did some of the Dads). When they ran the post down we thought it was just a dumb-*** accident. We soon found out that they did it on purpose.
    One of the other neighbors put up a new hoop on his property and she complained about the kids. It was a protracted fight that involved multiple calls to the police. The end result was that the kids in the neighborhood couldn't play ball after 7pm at night. She also complained about street hockey, skate boarding, tag, etc., etc...
    Why move into a neighborhood if you don't want to hear kids playing??? That's the whole point of living in a neighborhood so kids have others to play with.
    What pissed me off was the loony venom and fury that accompanied her attacks. She alleged that the basketball players were smoking pot at night and causing other trouble. Totally untrue. Look at the newspaper, the Ipswich Police were in the Globe today calling her a "regular customer". She complained about everything.
    She nearly got into a fistfight one night with one of the Moms who was defending her son's right to play.
    She complained so much the ice cream truck stopped driving through our street. If the kids wanted ice cream they had to go over to the next street and stop the truck.
    Just this past Sunday morning as we were watching the news my son said, "Remember how she wouldn't let us have ice cream?" He was about 8 at the time and thought that it really sucked. All the kids knew that she was the cause.
    There were a couple of neighborhood block parties in the last 2 years that she and her family weren't invited to because she had caused too many issues with people there. I remember there were probably 100 people at one party and they were the only ones not there. Everybody hated them. At one point someone let the air out of her tires.
    The day they moved out I was getting home as their moving van pulled away and went up the street. I got out of my car and a bunch of the neighbors were outside and I yelled "Ding Dong the witch is dead!" and a cheer went up all around. Soon after the new people showed up to clean the house and move some things in and the whole street celebrated with a pizza party. We welcomed the new folks with open arms. It was like the sun finally came out again.
    There's a link in the comments section to another short piece at Ace Of Spades.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And here we go again. She'd been indicted for murdering her brother all those years ago. After the cops and the prosecutor all botched that case, someone decided that maybe she did commit murder. Sheesh.

via Boston Herald

Amy Bishop was indicted today for the murder of her brother, 18-year-old Seth Bishop, in their Braintree home in 1986.
    The indictment by a Norfolk grand jury was announced by District Attorney William Keating, who convened the grand jury.
    “We’re being the voice of Seth Bishop. We’re doing our job but there’s no satisfaction when it’s built upon tragedy upon tragedy,” Keating said.
    More at the source.

Top Bottom