INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Why I gave up my guns

A former firearm enthusiast explains his personal epiphany

Blanchfield is a Ph.D. candidate and Woodruff Scholar in comparative literature at Emory University in Atlanta.

Horse ****. A work of pure fiction. :noway:

It has every talking point for banning guns in it. Didn't miss a one.
    This guys only experience with a gun is what he sees on TV.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Horse ****. A work of pure fiction. :noway:

It has every talking point for banning guns in it. Didn't miss a one.
    This guys only experience with a gun is what he sees on TV.

If it is real this guy was obviously not prepared. He fell victim to his own adrenaline and lack of training.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    So this dude gave up his guns because reality came to his house
    and kicked him in the berries. His reaction to this visit was to disarm, so that
    next time reality visits he won't have to participate for as long.

That's what I read. Sure, if reality comes to my house, I will possibly perform
    just as the writer, and deposit dinner prematurely.
    I wouldn't be any more afraid though. I know reality is scary, it is the primary
    symptom of life. I'm not going to willingly give up and bend over for next time.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The guy kept his "protection" so far away that if someone was in the house, they would be closer to it than him? And with all the practice that should go into owning a self defense weapon, he couldn't load it? And then when he finally gets one chambered, he does like on TV and pumps it one more time, ejecting his only means of defense?

In my worst nightmare I couldn't write such a fabrication of "reality". Why don't I think this is a real story but something written by an anti?

Last edited:

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    I got rid of all my guns a long time ago.... the prices people were willing to pay were just too hard to refuse.

I did keep a little .22 for squirrels and varmits. It's a lever action.

joale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    If this is a real story...he was ill-prepared. Have the gun loaded but not chambered...then just rack it in when needed. If that doesn't scare him off...you'd be ready.

I agree with the posts above....this story is garbage. Someone with that much experience would know how to be prepared...I.e. not have to get the ammo out of the box as the intruder is trying to break in.

Also...a TV is not worth a life. If he has to figure that out while he was aiming a loaded gun at someone...he probably shouldn't have one anyway.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    A gun is a tool, not a security blanket. Having a gun no more makes me an adequate defender of my home and family than having a hammer makes me a carpenter. Practice, training, and experience make a person both.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    No one that knows guns as well as he says would rack the pump and eject the shell. This story was invented to give credit to the Brady Bunch's lie of guns killing more people than they protect in the home.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Was hard to read because I had to continue wiping the sh*t of my shoes I was stepping in while reading it. Guess he would felt more like a man if the burglar would of not been scared off and ended up killing him or his GF. But I'm sure all would of been just fine seeing how this whole story was thought up by a anti-gun liberal who had to make sure the list of talking points handed to him by his master was implied. It's really hard to have meaningfully debates with liars and fools!:ugh:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Comparative Literature? What the frap is that? Telling total BS stories with way too many words?

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    My experience is admittadly limited, but I was wondering what model pump action shotgun allows you to keep pumping it without manipulating a small, inconveniently located control?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The author says in the end "The choice before us now is...", and then goes on to a bunch of psycho babble, ignoring the REAL choice we have as free people.

The REAL CHOICE before us is simply that as free INDIVIDUALS, we EACH have the right to make up our own mind whether we choose to own a firearm or not.

The author chose not to own a firearm, and that's HIS choice.

But he has NO right to make my choice for me.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    this is a comment from the article

You're absolutely correct to give up your guns. You obviously don't have the intestinal fortitude to use it when necessary. You're the guy that becomes a victim by his own weapon.i applaud the fact that you realized that you're. Not a gun person. And that's fine, but don't project your fears onto others. I don't demand that you arm yourself, so don't demand that I disarm. Now we all know to never be caught in a dark ally with you, you're no help at all.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Yeah, this story has got to be :poop:. A gun enthusiast who keeps his home defense gun unloaded in a closet? Never heard of an "enthusiast" who does that. I do believe him when he says he was living in a fantasy world though. Because you HAVE to be in a fantasy to think that just owning a firearm will make you a hero, especially when you're as ill-prepared as he was. It also pisses me off when people bring up the argument that standing up with a gun for your right to live in peace increases your chance of being killed. To me, somethings are worth those risks. Everyone's SO afraid to die, that they'll bend over every way possible to avoid putting themselves in harms way, even if it means leaving your fate at the mercy of a criminal. The way I look at it, is the day I can't stand up for myself, is the day I die anyway. This country's freedom wasn't given to us by bending over at the waist. The stone cold reality is that our society is becoming more dangerous and hostile with each passing year, and if you don't have a way to protect yourself, then you're leaving your fate up to whoever crosses your path. Living with my fingers crossed is no way I want to live my life.

Top Bottom