• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Watching sunday night football and they just announced that Arnold Palmer passed.
    IF true it's the end of an era. Arnie was Golf. Pure class act all the way.
    RIP and thanks for the fun.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I remember my Uncle buying my brother and I an Arnold Palmer indoor golf set. It had a 6 inch high player on the end of a golf club that would swing when you pulled a trigger on the handle. Brilliant fun and great memories! He was a fantastic ambassador for golf!

RIP Arnie!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Something I have been noticing is on Twitter....all these people offering condolences with #goldenbear :dunno: Am I missing something or do these people think Arnie was called the golden bear?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A stellar golfing career followed by decades of endorsements and designing some premiere golf courses, and he did all that while being probably the most beloved and respected golfer in history, a total class act all the way.
    We should all be so lucky to have a retirement like that.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You've got some folks that are confusing their Arizona Iced Teas.... The "Golden Bear" is Jack Nicklaus, a contemporary (and good-natured rival) of Mr. Palmer.

RIP Arnie, and thanks for giving my Dad a golfer to... well, idolize is too strong a word... to emulate for a bunch of years, and thanks for a great drink. :)

Dad... I hope you and the King have a great round. I know you've been waiting for today for your tee time.

Blessings,
    Bill

Something I have been noticing is on Twitter....all these people offering condolences with #goldenbear :dunno: Am I missing something or do these people think Arnie was called the golden bear?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Definitely a legend of the sport. He will be missed! But maybe now he'll be giving golf lessons in heaven... A little Arnie humor... :)

One day Moses and Jesus were playing golf. They were at the tee of a beautiful par 3, with a lake right in the middle of the fairway. Moses selects a 5 iron, tees-up his ball and swings. His ball sails very high and lands in the middle of the lake. He mutters to himself and tees-up a second ball, this time selecting a 4 iron. This shot was perfect; landing right in the middle of the green. Jesus pauses for a moment to ponder his club selection. "Hmmmm..... Arnold Palmer would use this," he says as he picks up a 5 iron.
    "But, Jesus. My 5 iron shot ended up in the lake. You should use a 4 iron!"
    "Nope. Arnie would use a 5," insisted Jesus.
    So, Jesus swings hard and alas his shot ends up in the middle of the lake too. Jesus strolls over to the lake and walks out on the water to retrieve his ball. As Jesus is walking on the water trying to locate his ball a foursome comes up to the tee, sees a man walking on the water and one of them exclaims, "Who does he think he is? Jesus Christ?"
    "No," explains Moses, "He is Jesus Christ. He thinks he's Arnold Palmer."

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    RIP Mr. Palmer. He was a great player, a great ambassador for the game and an even greater human being.
    The 19th tee is awaiting you.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    RIP for a great gentleman.

On an interesting piece of Indiana history and Arnold Palmer I have heard that he received his first paycheck as a golf pro here in Ft. Wayne at the Elks. He didn't win the tournament, but he did take home some $$$.

Regards,

Doug

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    RIP for a great gentleman.

On an interesting piece of Indiana history and Arnold Palmer I have heard that he received his first paycheck as a golf pro here in Ft. Wayne at the Elks. He didn't win the tournament, but he did take home some $$$.

Regards,

Doug

I'm going off a poor memory here BUT...I think I saw that piece on him recently. He and his wife were driving to the tournaments and sleeping in his car. That first paycheck allowed him to continue playing golf.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My FIL met him once. FIL was fly-fishing near Palmer's house/course/country club near Latrobe, PA. Chatted up a fellow fisherman, and they talked "fishing" on and off for most of the afternoon. When they were packing up, my FIL said "I never caught your name?", and then realized he had been fishing with Arnold Palmer. Said he was a real nice guy, and OK fisherman.

Top Bottom