• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I call "discrimination!" I couldn't find any 'white' men's toe shoes!

And what about those people with 6 toes?! Or amputees with only 4 toes? Or people with club feet? Or that guy we all know 'over there' that we all 'know' actually has cloven hooves?!

DISCRIMINATION, I say!

I demand that the NBA immediately ban ALL toe shoes from ever being worn in any NBA stadium or related location and the company immediately divest themself of all toe shoes!

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Does anyone remember when you trained in issued clothing and boots? None of this designer workout suits and nike sneaker business.

Oh yeah! Basic training at Ft Lost In The Woods, Misery, September and October, 1965... Combat boots and fatigues for ALL training, including the PT tests. Those boots really got heavy by the time one finished the one mile run! They did let us take our fatigue shirts off to run tho.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    We very seldom PT'd in boots. We bought our own running shoes, but had issued shorts and t-shirts. Oh, and a sweatsuit for the winter. Gray with "ARMY" across the chest. I recall it was made from an incredibly absorbent material, that if you ran in the rain would capture enough water to weigh approximately 45 pounds.

Well said!

Despite the absorption factor, it was still too thin to protect against those cold predawn mornings. I remember violent shivers during PT formation and while stretching.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    dont know if it was stated in previous posts, Lems Primal 2 shoe accomodates the foot with a (as it should be) comfortable & wide toebox to allow for foot splay, cost as much as another running shoe, minimalist and very very comfortable (feel like slippers!). These would be a shoe for those seeking an alternative to the toe shoes.

Also, a reviewer I seen had stated the Lems shoes hold up better than the 5 fingers, which I can verify that the 5 fingers fabric (on my Speed's atleast) separates from the sole itself. The Lems shoes also breathe very very well, so no more sweaty feet like those with 5 fingers experience... not to mention toe socks keep your feet pretty cold.

I wear mine with wool socks and a wicking layer sock, feel amazing in cold weather. I'd recommend to military seeking a 5-finger alternative to get the Lems Primal 2, and to anyone seeking a shoe designed for the shape of the foot, rather the other way around. Posting this because I've done the 5-finger, minimalist, then barefoot thing for years because I couldn't find any shoe designed to accommodate the natural shape of the foot. My job requires me to wear boots 10 hours a day, so no more running barefoot through the woods for me :(, but with the Lems shoes, I have a LOT more sock options than the 5-fingers will allow.... and I can wear my beloved wool socks :).

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Or maybe the Army is on to something:

FiveFingers Maker Will Pay Millions To Suckers Who Bought Its Shoes

Vibram Settles Class Action Lawsuit | Runner's World & Running Times

Science takes time, and since the advent of Christopher McDougall's best-selling Born to Run (a book based mainly on anecdote that sparked the minimalist footwear revolution), science has discovered that barefoot running can really **** you up.

"This study showed that increases in bone marrow edema [the precursor to a stress fracture] are more common in subjects who were transitioning to the [Vibram FiveFingers]," concluded this 2013 study.

Vibram USA, the company that makes FiveFingers running shoes, has agreed to settle a lawsuit that alleged the company made false and unsubstantiated claims about the health benefits of its glove-like footwear.

For the second part of the settlement, Vibram has agreed to discontinue to make any claims that FiveFingers footwear is effective in strengthening muscles or reducing injury in its marketing and advertising campaigns, unless the company discovers new scientific evidence that proves it.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Or maybe the Army is on to something:

FiveFingers Maker Will Pay Millions To Suckers Who Bought Its Shoes

Vibram Settles Class Action Lawsuit | Runner's World & Running Times

Science takes time, and since the advent of Christopher McDougall's best-selling Born to Run (a book based mainly on anecdote that sparked the minimalist footwear revolution), science has discovered that barefoot running can really **** you up.

"This study showed that increases in bone marrow edema [the precursor to a stress fracture] are more common in subjects who were transitioning to the [Vibram FiveFingers]," concluded this 2013 study.

Vibram USA, the company that makes FiveFingers running shoes, has agreed to settle a lawsuit that alleged the company made false and unsubstantiated claims about the health benefits of its glove-like footwear.

For the second part of the settlement, Vibram has agreed to discontinue to make any claims that FiveFingers footwear is effective in strengthening muscles or reducing injury in its marketing and advertising campaigns, unless the company discovers new scientific evidence that proves it.

Idk, sounds like the claim they made regarding health benefits could not be substantiated with empirical data.they lied and exaggerated their product but that doesn't mean it isn't better for some. They were dumb in their advertising ats why they're paying $3.75mm to consumers. I can speak from my experience that, although these shoes are fugly, my feet do not hurt at all after a workout and I've been using them for about 2 years now. I'll not be trying to collect my $94 from this suit.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    After transitioning: Minimalist shoes or none at all. I absolutely cannot stand my work boots because of the elevated heel, and the thick inflexible sole. Since I'm not used to those boots and that style of shoe (been minimalist/barefoot for 4+ years now) it's a hazard for me to walk up/down a flight of stairs with some thick elevated 90-degree heel stickin out, so I gotta watch myself everytime. I'm kinda waiting to roll my ankle because I have that thick rubber board strapped to my foot via a quite nice all-leather upper (Rocky boots bought at Gander Mountain, has a very nice roomy toebox, more-so than every other boot I've tried), but then I know I wont because I've strengthened my ankle muscles to run barefoot/minimalist shoes on very uneven terrain. My feet and muscles are stronger than ever before, I also have FAR MORE BALANCE than I can remember at any point in my life.

During Transitioning: Achilles tendonitis, which I exacerbated even more by taking chia seeds to test the validity of "gives you endurance" (ya, well it works, you just dont get tired/exhausted) and it flared up eventually to partial calcaneous Achilles rupture. I didn't go to a doctor for an "official" diagnosis; it was the fact that I could barely walk and my heels popped-followed by short pain-and more pain associated with trying to walk that led me to that conclusion. Took me 2+ years to fully get over it, and even now I'm worried because I'm wearing my work boots w/the elevated heel (which will be resoled because they're that awesome).

The short: Transitioning-take your freaking time. After Transitioning-you just wont go back, and the claims are true. Also, running forefoot impact... there is no pain. It's actually comfortable, and if you have any questions, look how a little kid (7yr old or so) runs, forefoot every time.

Also, I recommend Lems for shoes, and Rocky for boots, and wool socks with a wicking sock (just because they're too comfy), for any other minimalist wearers out there.

Top Bottom