Are you supporting anti-2A establishments?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Here's the way I see it. If I were to avoid patronizing establishments that champion causes that go against my values I almost couldn't shop anywhere. These days corporations have their agendas on gay marriage, guns, abortion and all kinds of big issues, and most of the time they aren't in line with my values. How can one keep track of all this stuff and avoid all the places that contradict your values? If I am legally allowed to carry my gun into Panera, Chilis, Starbucks or any of these other places despite their request for no guns, though I don't go to them often, then I'm going to CC it there if that's what's convenient at the time or if someone gives me a gift card or something. Personally, I feel I couldn't be consistent boycotting every single place that holds to views that go against mine, so I'm not going to treat the gun issue any differently than any other issue. I certainly understand that many of you want to boycott them and such. To each his own. Now this may change next year when I move to Ohio. I'll have to be more careful about this kind of thing because no gun signs carry force of law. Though I hear that these types of places that have "requested" no guns in Ohio aren't posting signs, but are merely requesting that you not bring your gun, which does not prohibit you from entering.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If gun owners continue to give hard earned dollars to retailers that have no problem asking you to sacrifice your God given rights, the antis are winning, IMO. It tells other companies that it's OK to follow their lead. It makes Mad Mothers in Need of Action crow about their victories.

You may think it's perfectly fine to patronize them and it's not in me to tell you what to do. Do as you like. I will not compromise my values for convenience. Never.

Target lost me at denying Christmas years ago. Same with Home Depot. I just can't give businesses my hard earned dough that have values I consider in direct opposition to mine. Especially when I have so many other choices.

And to your post, rbMPSH12, please read here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...dly-bars-eateries-crop-up-across-america.html

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    My family and I will not patronize businesses that don't respect our rights... It's not that hard for these companies to tell the Mom's to go @#$% themselves. If a business wants to stay out of the discussion all they need to do is refuse to comment - period.

We just patronize their competitors...

For example, who needs Starbucks - McDonald's has almost all of their beverages now anyway and cheaper. I can shop at WalMart or Meijer instead of Target. Qdoba is just as good as Chipolte. Etc. When these places that were "Mom'd" start feeling the impact of their choices in their $$$, they may understand that their actions have consequences and rethink.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    If gun owners continue to give hard earned dollars to retailers that have no problem asking you to sacrifice your God given rights, the antis are winning, IMO. It tells other companies that it's OK to follow their lead. It makes Mad Mothers in Need of Action crow about their victories.

You may think it's perfectly fine to patronize them and it's not in me to tell you what to do. Do as you like. I will not compromise my values for convenience. Never.

Target lost me at denying Christmas years ago. Same with Home Depot. I just can't give businesses my hard earned dough that have values I consider in direct opposition to mine. Especially when I have so many other choices.

And to your post, rbMPSH12, please read here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...dly-bars-eateries-crop-up-across-america.html

Don't get me wrong, I try to spend my money at places that align with my views. However, I can't get EVERYTHING I need/want from those places usually.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    My family and I will not patronize businesses that don't respect our rights... It's not that hard for these companies to tell the Mom's to go @#$% themselves. If a business wants to stay out of the discussion all they need to do is refuse to comment - period.

For example, who needs Starbucks - McDonald's has almost all of their beverages now anyway and cheaper. I can shop at WalMart or Meijer instead of Target. Qdoba is just as good as Chipolte. Etc. When these places that were "Mom'd" start feeling the impact of their choices in their $$$, they may understand that their actions have consequences and rethink.

Qdoba is owned by Jack in the Box, is it not? They do not want you carrying in their locations.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    As an aside, here's Panera's response to my email to them expressing my disapproval and a sayonara.

I’m very sorry to hear you disagree with our policy. Within our company, we strive to create Panera Warmth, which means, among other things, creating bakery-cafe environments where customers and associates feel comfortable. Panera Bread respects the rights of gun owners, but we do believe asking that customers not bring their firearms inside our bakery-cafes is consistent with the bakery-cafe environment we are attempting to create.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us and share your comments.

Sincerely,
    Panera Bread

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Except there is absolutely NO infringement on your rights, even if every. single. business. in American denied you the privilege of carrying in their stores. When a LAW prohibits you from carrying, then you might have an argument. But you've never, ever had a right to carry on private property.

Would you feel the same if someone asked you to stop singing "Amazing Grace" in the restaurant?

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I'm all for symbolic stands, but if you're expecting these businesses to "notice" the loss of our business or care about it, I think you may be disappointed. At 10% of population with LTCH, Indiana is 1st or 2nd by percentage among all the states (Yay!). Many states are much lower. And we all know that many of that 10% don't carry regularly, but just have the LTCH because their spouse has one, or to keep a gun in their car, or whatever. Most of these businesses operate at a 3-4% profit margin, so if we ALL boycott them, we're only going to cost them aroung 0.1% to 0.3% loss of profits. They won't notice that enough to care.

The point is that economic pressure isn't going to work. IMO, we'll have much better luck with social pressures like emails and letters -being the squeaky wheel like the Moms themselves.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Except there is absolutely NO infringement on your rights, even if every. single. business. in American denied you the privilege of carrying in their stores. When a LAW prohibits you from carrying, then you might have an argument. But you've never, ever had a right to carry on private property.

Would you feel the same if someone asked you to stop singing "Amazing Grace" in the restaurant?

I never said that they were infringing on my rights. They are asking me to give them up and I won't do that. I simply choose not to give them any of my money. They have every right to do what they want. I agree with you, it's their property and they make the rules.

I'm all for symbolic stands, but if you're expecting these businesses to "notice" the loss of our business or care about it, I think you may be disappointed. At 10% of population with LTCH, Indiana is 1st or 2nd by percentage among all the states (Yay!). Many states are much lower. And we all know that many of that 10% don't carry regularly, but just have the LTCH because their spouse has one, or to keep a gun in their car, or whatever. Most of these businesses operate at a 3-4% profit margin, so if we ALL boycott them, we're only going to cost them aroung 0.1% to 0.3% loss of profits. They won't notice that enough to care.

The point is that economic pressure isn't going to work. IMO, we'll have much better luck with social pressures like emails and letters -being the squeaky wheel like the Moms themselves.

I'm not trying to make any economic impact on them. I'm listening to my conscience.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    As an aside, here's Panera's response to my email to them expressing my disapproval and a sayonara.

I’m very sorry to hear you disagree with our policy. Within our company, we strive to create Panera Warmth, which means, among other things, creating bakery-cafe environments where customers and associates feel comfortable. Panera Bread respects the rights of gun owners, but we do believe asking that customers not bring their firearms inside our bakery-cafes is consistent with the bakery-cafe environment we are attempting to create.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us and share your comments.

Sincerely,
    Panera Bread

So basically in their own words they are implying that guns create an uncomfortable environment so they don't want them there. Sounds anti-gun to me! ;)

Sandtiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2014
    Evansville

I can shop at WalMart or Meijer instead of Target.

Walmart's been mom'd too..Try buying an explicit CD there.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I was sitting here this morning reading about Panera Breads new policy asking gun owners to keep their guns away. Almost all of the replies were against their decision. I also noticed that most of the comments from gun owners stated they would just CC into Panera so they wouldn't know they had a gun on them. It surprises me that people would condemn an establishment and their anti-gun policy in one sentence but say they would continue to do business there in the next. I have seen this scenario played out many, many times whenever a business bans guns with the same CC comments on social media sites and gun sites like INGO also. So actually, isn't the victory going to the anti's if patrons have this "I don't agree with your decision but here's my money anyway" attitude?

I pay my taxes.....so yes, I support anti 2a organizations.

Top Bottom