• dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There are two reasons to ignore your debating opponent's point:

1. You have no rebuttal.
    2. You're an idiot who cannot grasp your opponent's point.

Criticism of the President: Go for it as vigorously as you like. Tradition dictates you don't do it on foreign soil, especially in a time of war.

PC vs Voicing your Opposition Through Action, Like Boycotts: PC is enforced by law or by the policy of a government institution, like a college campus. Boycotts are an exercise in individual choice, which equals freedom.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Congress has the power to declare war. The Constitution does not specify the procedure by which they must do so. Congress authorized both of Bush's wars, but not Clinton's or Obama's. There are no magic words that must be uttered. Congress has the power.
    Check your facts. The US has not declared war since WWII.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    There are two reasons to ignore your debating opponent's point:

1. You have no rebuttal.
    2. You're an idiot who cannot grasp your opponent's point.

Criticism of the President: Go for it as vigorously as you like. Tradition dictates you don't do it on foreign soil, especially in a time of war.

PC vs Voicing your Opposition Through Action, Like Boycotts: PC is enforced by law or by the policy of a government institution, like a college campus. Boycotts are an exercise in individual choice, which equals freedom.

We are not officially at war. Criticism of the president is fair game any time, any where. It's called 1st Amendment.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    If the Congress votes to authorize the President to go to war, how is that not a declaration of war.

War can only be declared if the US is under direct attack. War Powers Resolution. Please name one instance since WWII in which the US was under direct attack.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Please remove your dense-osity. The First Amendment allows it, tradition does not, their fans did not. It's called FREEDOM.
    Tradition isn't legally binding. Neither are their fans. And yes, it's called freedom. At least you have that part right.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    9/11 an organized group killed thousands of people in an attack on NYC. Maybe you heard about it.
    Yes, an organized group. Not a country. The Philippines have the highest concentration of al quaeda in the world. Why aren't we there blowing things up?

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    They can stay wherever they are as far as I am concerned---just a bunch of overly opinionated beral loudmouths. I could not name even one of the songs that they have sung.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I meant to say liberal loudmouths. I guess the I must have hit the insert key when I backed up to make a change in my post. I did not want anyone to give me a negative rep for spelling or grammar errors.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Tradition isn't legally binding. Neither are their fans. And yes, it's called freedom. At least you have that part right.

How the F did "legal" get into it? Who said the DC were illegal? They legally violated a tradition, their fans legally boycotted them. Hello, anyone in there?

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Check your facts. The US has not declared war since WWII.

We are not officially at war. Criticism of the president is fair game any time, any where. It's called 1st Amendment.

I am not sure how this turned to word games, but....YES...that's correct. No Declarations of War by Congress since WWII. Though other than a play on wording, the difference between a "Declaration of War" by Congress and a "Authorization" for military engagement (Lebanon, Vietnam War, Gulf War, War in Afghanistan, Iraq War) by Congress or UN Security Council Resolutions funded by Congress(Korean War, Bosnia, etc) seems a rather moot point to me. In all cases men and women of the military perform their assigned duties, and serve their country. They fight, sacrifice, and some come home in a flag draped casket. The families of these men and women back home do not care if it is or was declared or authorized. I don't care. My grandson in Afghanistan that has been wounded three times and still has two months left on this deployment doesn’t care...he knows he is in a War no matter how you want to massage it.

As far as the Dixie Chicks go...they dropped a turd in their soup and are still eating slop. And I'm glad. Do they have a right to say what they want...yes, of course.. the 1st Amendment says so. Does the Westboro Bapitist Church have the right to protest Military Funerals and say the vile things they do...yes again and I support the 1st Amendment that allows them to do so. Do I think it is OK or like it. Not on your life. That is the reason I will continue not to listen to the Chicks, or watch certain shows of various Hollyweirdos, and hope that the Good Lord allows the members of the Westboro Baptist church to burn in Hell for the pain and suffering they have caused military families.

Not meaning to be obtuse, or argumentative. Just my 1st Amendment :twocents:

Last edited:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I am not sure how this turned to word games, but....YES...that's correct. No Declarations of War by Congress since WWII. Though other than a play on wording, the difference between a "Declaration of War" by Congress and a "Authorization" for military engagement (Lebanon, Vietnam War, Gulf War, War in Afghanistan, Iraq War) by Congress or UN Security Council Resolutions funded by Congress(Korean War, Bosnia, etc) seems a rather moot point to me. In all cases men and women of the military perform their assigned duties, and serve their country. They fight, sacrifice, and some come home in a flag draped casket. The families of these men and women back home do not care if it is or was declared or authorized. I don't care. My grandson in Afghanistan that has been wounded three times and still has two months left on this deployment doesn’t care...he knows he is in a War no matter how you want to massage it.

As far as the Dixie Chicks go...they dropped a turd in their soup and are still eating slop. And I'm glad. Do they have a right to say what they want...yes, of course.. the 1st Amendment says so. Does the Westboro Bapitist Church have the right to protest Military Funerals and say the vile things they do...yes again and I support the 1st Amendment that allows them to do so. Do I think it is OK or like it. Not on your life. That is the reason I will continue not to listen to the Chicks, or watch certain shows of various Hollyweirdos, and hope that the Good Lord allows the members of the Westboro Baptist church to burn in Hell for the pain and suffering they have caused military families.

Not meaning to be obtuse, or argumentative. Just my 1st Amendment :twocents:

Exactly, great post.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    well since the GERMANS are the ones who declared war on us after the japanese attack at pearl harbor dont you think it just made sense that we defend ourselves?

Do I think so? Yes, but, apparently, not the poster who says:

War can only be declared if the US is under direct attack.
    The Germans had not directly attacked us, yet Congress issued a resolution declaring a state of war.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    War can only be declared if the US is under direct attack. War Powers Resolution. Please name one instance since WWII in which the US was under direct attack.

I would humbly submit that to the troops on foreign soil dodging bullets, it's very difficult to tell the difference between a declared war and a 'police action' or 'peacekeeping mission' or whatever other term is in vogue this week. And having spent time in several of those, I can tell you that it's only purely academically that I know I was not in a 'war'. They sure seemed like 'times of war' to me and to those around me.

I still don't get the purpose of this thread. Is it just to gauge the current temperature and see if there is still ill will toward them, or is it to try to sway people and tell them they're stupid for feeling that way? They are free to exercise their right to free speech, and consumers are free to listen to and buy whatever music they choose. It seems both of those things have happened, and all's well.

Top Bottom