• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    with your name is in the CAD etc. dispatch lets the responding officer now you have a LTCH on file...... he ask for his protection and situation awarness.......same thing happens if you get pulled over for a traffic stop ......basicly if they run your name they are informed of your LTCH ..........:twocents:
    Hmmm, this is curious. Since any line of questioning about guns is to cease the moment the officer is made aware you have a LTCH, isn't even asking out of bounds? I mean IF dispatch tells them you have the LTCH.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I wouldnt cal the police until the threat was "taken care of". IMO Police are a clean up crew to take pictures of and haul your dead body away after the BG has killed you and your family and stolen all your stuff...

First. If the cops can get there in time and take care of the problem, they might save you a LOT of heartache and money. Even in self-defence, you might have to prove it.

Second. If you call the cops 1st, and things go south, that will look better for your defense.

Third. Don't put claims like that out where anyone can see it. If YOU are now involved in a self-defense shooting, a lawyer could use that statement to sway a jury. Not saying it would work, but why give a lawyer more ammo to use at a trial?

If you think things like that don't happen, there are a few books out there to help. Grossman, and Ayoob are two right off the top of my head.

First, he was being sarcastic.

Second he was meaning the exact opposite of what you are thinking.

:n00b:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I have managed to avoid direct police contact completely since I started carrying.
    I will say this about these situations...... I don't mind if a LEO knows I have a LTCH, but it seems, on the surface anyway, after determining the presence of a LTCH and a gun, that roadside gun handling isn't called for, and actually reduces my safety and the officers safety. I would hope to hear "well just leave it where it is, and keep your hands off it.", instead of "hand it over".

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have managed to avoid direct police contact completely since I started carrying.
    I will say this about these situations...... I don't mind if a LEO knows I have a LTCH, but it seems, on the surface anyway, after determining the presence of a LTCH and a gun, that roadside gun handling isn't called for, and actually reduces my safety and the officers safety. I would hope to hear "well just leave it where it is, and keep your hands off it.", instead of "hand it over".

Know your rights and you won't have to "hope."

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    T_F is referring to either the washington or richards case which established that any line of questioning regarding firearms must stop as soon as the officer is made aware that you have a LTCH and they may NOT take possession of it either...unless of course you were stopped for something involving a gun...

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Seems as though Fort Wayne Police have that information readily available. If you are asked again, just tell them "there is nothing illegal in the vehicle".....or just inform them you are armed if that's what you wish to do.

I'm not one that would inform. But if I did choose to do so, I would simply hand the officer my LTCH along with my DL when he requested my DL. Yelling "I have a gun!" is not the way to go.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    T_F is referring to either the washington or richards case which established that any line of questioning regarding firearms must stop as soon as the officer is made aware that you have a LTCH and they may NOT take possession of it either...unless of course you were stopped for something involving a gun...

Richardson. Once you provide your valid LTCH (or now, once they run your DL # and it comes back with valid LTCH info), further questioning into firearms ceases.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Fort Wayne/Allen County made LTCH info available to LEOs since even before it went statewide a few months ago.
    They can determine you have an LTCH by running your name/info.
    I've been stopped twice in the last few months by 2 different agencies for being a "suspicious person" (once by IPFW Campus Police, and once by New Haven Police), and both times my LTCH info came back and they asked if I was armed.
    Ironically, both times were some of the very few times I wasn't carrying.

Lessons learned: apparently I'm suspicious by walking along minding my own business.

First off, why did you ID yourself in these situations?

Secondly, why did you not just continually ask, "Am I free to go?" What right did they have to detain you?

Thirdly, why weren't you armed? This question is meant to assess your situation and not meant to instigate anything.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Since getting my LTCH I've had to call the police a time or two both from home and from my car. Once they pull up the address or have time to check my name in their computer the next question always seems to be "are you armed?"

Have others found this to be true?

I figure there is a record of my LTCH in the computer that the officer on the phone checks as a matter of taking my call.
    Oh yeah, they know, and when they ask I just say "yes sir/mame, I am legally armed"!

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Hmmm, this is curious. Since any line of questioning about guns is to cease the moment the officer is made aware you have a LTCH, isn't even asking out of bounds? I mean IF dispatch tells them you have the LTCH.

One thing i would suggest to those who want to know more and listen with there own ears, buy i scanner and listen. You would learn a lot on how information is given and handled with LTCH in your area by the police.

if you do not want to buy a scanner a lot of countys offer live feed from Radio Reference you can listen from your computer:

Indiana Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    First off, why did you ID yourself in these situations?

Secondly, why did you not just continually ask, "Am I free to go?" What right did they have to detain you?

Thirdly, why weren't you armed? This question is meant to assess your situation and not meant to instigate anything.

1. I provided my ID because the officers asked for it. Yes, I'm aware I'm under no obligation to show it under the circumstances during the situations. With that being said, it just makes the whole interaction go more smoothly and quicker if I just simply hand them my DL and let them run the warrants check. In both situations they ran the warrants check gave me back my ID and cut me loose.

2. Why didn't I ask that? :dunno:

3. The first time (when stopped by IPFW PD) I wasn't armed as I was leaving a concert at the Allen County Memorial Coliseum and they do pat-downs of everyone to ensure there are no weapons at concerts. :rolleyes:
    The second time (New Haven PD) I was on my way home from work where I also can't be armed due to stupid corporate policies. I guess they're afraid some associate who is armed will snap on a customer ans blast them :):

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    One thing i would suggest to those who want to know more and listen with there own ears, buy i scanner and listen. You would learn a lot on how information is given and handled with LTCH in your area by the police.

if you do not want to buy a scanner a lot of countys offer live feed from Radio Reference you can listen from your computer:

Indiana Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com

If you have an android phone, go to the market and download Scanner Radio. It's free

Top Bottom