• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Would you rather drive a dodge truck built in Mexico or a Nissan Titan built in Tenesee? I'd say the plant in TN is helping alot more Americans than the profits from the Dodge coming back to Detroit are....

I buy US when ever the product is of similar quality and even when it is somewhat more costly, but I refuse to buy an inferior product simply for the fact it is made in America.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I'll take the Dodge any day. Majority of parts on the Dodge are made in U.S. employing hundreds, most paying taxes and spending in local community across U.S.

While they may be partially assembled in Mexico, (no Taxes)

Nearly the same amount of employees assemble the Titon truck in
    Tennessee using nearly all Japanese parts.
    Oh ya, almost forgot, Tennessee is a NO INCOME TAX State.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll take the Dodge any day. Majority of parts on the Dodge are made in U.S. employing hundreds, most paying taxes and spending in local community across U.S.

While they may be partially assembled in Mexico, (no Taxes)

Nearly the same amount of employees assemble the Titon truck in
    Tennessee using nearly all Japanese parts.
    Oh ya, almost forgot, Tennessee is a NO INCOME TAX State.
    If the Titan doesn't work for you then instead substitute In Toyota Tundra and Princeton,IN/San Antonio,TX instead. The Tundra is made HERE in Indiana (you know there are plenty of taxes here) and is ranked as the Fifth "most domestic" vehicle made in the US (based on mfg. location, PARTS CONTENT, and sales. So now, do you still think the Dodge Ram is the "patriotic" way to go???

The Cars.com American-Made Index - Cars.com

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I bought a Ford truck just to say I support America when I got to work my friend said let me show you something. He open the hood and showed me on the engine were it said made in Mexico. I bought my wife a Toyota that was made in Princeton Indiana the Toyota had twice the warranty as the Ford and every time I have had a problem with my truck I have not received any help on the warranty plan. Yes I would like to buy all American products but they must meet the same standard as the other companies or it just does not make any sense to through money away. Yes we are in trouble but we have our selves and some of our own people to blame. I will stop now because if I keep going I only make myself mad talking about it.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Tennessee is a NO INCOME TAX State.

and memphis is the 2nd most violent city in america beyond being as destitute as detroit, it is just a nasty crime ridden filth hole. well except the BBQ

BTW my sister lives in memphis this is how I know these things. come to think of it last time she called me she was telling me about her co-worker who got arrested at work for shooting a cop. I'll pay my taxes.:ranton:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My 6 year old Mitsubishi Outlander runs better than my 4 year old Chevy Cobalt. Unfortunately, to me, "Made in America" is an indication of potential sub-par quality, based on the track record of the many product failures I've encountered.

I take pride in my work. A lot of non-union friends of mine do as well. I've never met a union employee who really gave a rat's ass about their product or service. Though they vehemently profess to care while discussing the value of unions, listening to them talk about their day-to-day duties gives me the impression that Wal-Mart employees are more dedicated & quality conscientous. The union members I've met are folks who are quite happy to be a cog in the machine & don't care if they skip a tooth or not, so long as they continue getting 2x or 3x the compensation their non-union counterparts do.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Just so everyone is aware. Of the total operating budget of the gentle giant GM 8.5% of their cost goes to pay UAW employees. I know that a lot of people here probably did not know that or don't believe that, but it is the truth. Don't believe the hype. If it wasn't for the UAW this country would not be as good off as it is. I am not a UAW member, I have no UAW members in my family, I am just saying that when a greedy exec. makes more in bonuses than an entire plant of UAW workers make in one year people should question that. I know that people are going to have their feelings hurt because of this reply and they will also get mad, but if I could get a job like they have I would take it in a heartbeat. The more they make the more they will spend and that helps everyone.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just so everyone is aware. Of the total operating budget of the gentle giant GM 8.5% of their cost goes to pay UAW employees. I know that a lot of people here probably did not know that or don't believe that, but it is the truth. Don't believe the hype. If it wasn't for the UAW this country would not be as good off as it is. I am not a UAW member, I have no UAW members in my family, I am just saying that when a greedy exec. makes more in bonuses than an entire plant of UAW workers make in one year people should question that. I know that people are going to have their feelings hurt because of this reply and they will also get mad, but if I could get a job like they have I would take it in a heartbeat. The more they make the more they will spend and that helps everyone.

Yet another reason to not support the failing business model of "American" auto makers. I suppose I'm un-American because I haven't supported "American" recording studios or record labels either...eh? I've not purchased music or movies (on vhs/dvd/bluray) in over 10 years.

I vote with my dollars. I try to shop locally as much as my modest budget allows. I'm trying to train my wife to stay out of Wal-Mart & instead to go to regional or local retailers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No feelings hurt here. And even if the behavior of the 'greedy" execs is wrong, it doesn't justify the wrongs of the UAW. Wrong is still wrong..No justification at all. As for the the unions making this country better, i will say in the early days, they did, but in the last 30 years, not so...see my earlier post in this thread. You don't get rewarded when your product is subpar to the competition. Having the safety net and the protection of the union does not inspire ingenuity, creativity, advancement and excellance. IT BREEDS MEDIOCRITY, nothing less. Mediocrity is far far from excellant, in fact it's the enemy of excellence, and therefore has been a nemesis of this country, for a long time. Actually the 8.5% number is irrellevant to the poor, antiquated work habit of the UAW. As for them making things better, as you say, they were wanting to do away with private ballot union voting..Hmmmmmm??? why would we want to do away with a basic patriotic right that has significant precedant?????Apparently they want to know who votes against them. Hmmmmmmm??? And i'm sure that some who would want to vote against them would vote with them in fear of harassment.....Well that looks like a good and easy way to get votes.....THANK GOD FEDERAL EXPRESS HAD THE MORAL FIBER TO TELL CONGRESS THAT IF THAT LAW PASSED, THEY WOULD PULL THE CONTRACT ON ALL 27 JUMBO JETS AND PUT ALOT OF UNION WORKERS OUT OF WORK...PRAISES TO FEDERAL EXPRESS.... Now i'll cut some slack to the fact that you may be unaware of these union practices, but if it is common knowledge to you, then your idea of "unions making this country better" is very suspect.

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    I own two Ford vehicles. Parts made in Canada, assembled in Mexico.

But, they didn't take any bail out money that I'm aware of. They still wont lend you any money, though. When I had to have my steering colum rebuilt they asked me if I wanted a Ford Credit card, so I wasn't just hit with a 1200 bill. Denied. Pay half down - Denied. Pay three quarters down - Denied. Pay all but $50 - Denied. Whatever.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    My dad works for GM. Them going bankrupt and getting rid of all the UAW contracts and starting over would be pretty much the best thing that could happen.

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    As for them making things better, as you say, they were wanting to do away with private ballot union voting..Hmmmmmm??? why would we want to do away with a basic patriotic right that has significant precedant?????Apparently they want to know who votes against them. Hmmmmmmm??? And i'm sure that some who would want to vote against them would vote with them in fear of harassment.....Well that looks like a good and easy way to get votes....

I am not sure what you are referring to about "do away with private ballot union voting"?

Employee Free Choice Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    No feelings hurt here. And even if the behavior of the 'greedy" execs is wrong, it doesn't justify the wrongs of the UAW. Wrong is still wrong..No justification at all. As for the the unions making this country better, i will say in the early days, they did, but in the last 30 years, not so...see my earlier post in this thread. You don't get rewarded when your product is subpar to the competition. Having the safety net and the protection of the union does not inspire ingenuity, creativity, advancement and excellance. IT BREEDS MEDIOCRITY, nothing less. Mediocrity is far far from excellant, in fact it's the enemy of excellence, and therefore has been a nemesis of this country, for a long time. Actually the 8.5% number is irrellevant to the poor, antiquated work habit of the UAW. As for them making things better, as you say, they were wanting to do away with private ballot union voting..Hmmmmmm??? why would we want to do away with a basic patriotic right that has significant precedant?????Apparently they want to know who votes against them. Hmmmmmmm??? And i'm sure that some who would want to vote against them would vote with them in fear of harassment.....Well that looks like a good and easy way to get votes.....THANK GOD FEDERAL EXPRESS HAD THE MORAL FIBER TO TELL CONGRESS THAT IF THAT LAW PASSED, THEY WOULD PULL THE CONTRACT ON ALL 27 JUMBO JETS AND PUT ALOT OF UNION WORKERS OUT OF WORK...PRAISES TO FEDERAL EXPRESS.... Now i'll cut some slack to the fact that you may be unaware of these union practices, but if it is common knowledge to you, then your idea of "unions making this country better" is very suspect.
    I guess you are just wealthy:dunno: Did you ever stop to think that a UAW or union member might want to buy one of your "big wheel" houses that you have listed in WRTWSP??

Top Bottom