are you allowed to carry on the job without a permit???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I got a buddy that dosent have his pink slip but says that if he's on the job, its OK to carry? I don't think its a good idea myself... thoughts, comments, LEGAL ADVICE???

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This IC allows you to carry at your fixed place of business without a license:

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    And this IC lets you transport a handgun to and from your fixed place of business without a license:

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:

*snip*

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

However, you are not permitted to deviate. No stopping for gas or groceries. Just get the license.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Depends on the job and the owner of the business. If you own a store and carry, you're technically carrying on your own property, which is generally recognized as legal. If you're an employee of said store and have the owner's permission, you're carrying on private property and probably still legal. If "the job" is tooling around in public in a pizza delivery car, then you probably need a license most places.

That's just the "rule of thumb", the specifics of which may vary from state to state, so don't take it as legal advice. I am not a lawyer. In all cases, it's generally better to just have the license.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    hes a property mgr. he deals with money and dropping it off at the bank

he says he just does what he wants lmao hes on here ... varasha

Last edited by a moderator:

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Doesn't sound like a "fixed place of business" to me, unless it's in his desk drawer at his office. The properties he manages aren't his place of business, nor is the bank. And in any event, even the "fixed place of business" exception means that when you're transporting the handgun to another allowed non-permit location, it has to be "unloaded and in a secure wrapper" -- which doesn't do you any good while you're in transit anyway.

So, one more vote for "just get the permit already."

EDIT: And unless you want to get your buddy in trouble, you might want to reconsider what you divulge about his actions -- and better yet, he should reconsider the actions themselves. Y'know what I'm saying?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

He can do what he wants. The police and prosecutor can do what they want. The Judge can do what he wants. Bubba, your friend's prison husband, can do what he wants. It's all good, you see.

Last edited:

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    He can do what he wants. The police and prosecutor can do what they want. The Judge can do what he wants. Bubba, your friend's prison husband, can do what he wants. It's all good, you see.

This is exactly what ive told him! I guess he's just a dumbass

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    And this IC lets you transport a handgun to and from your fixed place of business without a license:

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

However, you are not permitted to deviate. No stopping for gas or groceries. Just get the license.

:+1: (emphasis added)

BTW I've seen the text of the letter from the ISP, but I can't see how they get that interpretation from the code. It's a convoluted sentence to be sure (like many of our other codes) but...

Here's how I read it:

Any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper...

from the place of purchace to his dwelling -or-
    from the place of purchase to his fixed place of business -or-
    from his dwelling to a place of repair and back -or-
    from his fixed place of business to a place of repair and back -or-
    in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

(For me anyway) it doesn't say anywhere that a person you can transport it back and forth between his dwelling and fixed place of business.

IANAL, but this is definitely one section of the code that is in DIRE need of clarification.

And on that note, a person who is not barred from owning forearms should be able to unload it, lock it in the trunk or some other suitable container and take it anywhere in the state that he is legally allowed to have a gun without needing a carry license.

The way the law is written, an adult person who takes a handgun safety class is commiting a misdemeanor at least. :xmad: It is "on or about their person" is it not?

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    he keeps sayin that "its my second amendment right", and i keep tellin him hes a dumba**! this isnt the old west dude, get legal and quit messin around

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    he keeps sayin that "its my second amendment right", and i keep tellin him hes a dumba**! this isnt the old west dude, get legal and quit messin around

And I would agree with him, it is his 2cd amendment right, however what seperates most of us from the "thugs" can be boiled down to one word..........responsible. Part of being a responsible gun owner is to follow the laws set forth and in effect at that time. While some of those laws might be stupid and some say unconstitutional they are still the law. Violating them willingly and knowingly do nothing to forward our cause and in fact just gives more ammo to the anti's.

If you have explained all this to him and he still refuses to get the LTCH then eventually the 2cd amendment won't apply to him any longer and he won't have to worry about it any longer.

:patriot:

WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    hes a property mgr. he deals with money and dropping it off at the bank

Carrying on the property with the owners permission might be ok, but when he exits that properly he should have documentation on him (permit)

Top Bottom