• Are you a union worker?

• Total voters

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    All you are doing is throwing out sterotypes. And to answer your question, please no do not go on stop before you type anymore about things you know nothing about.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    All you are doing is throwing out sterotypes. And to answer your question, please no do not go on stop before you type anymore about things you know nothing about.

Really I have worked in several unions (none were UAW, thank God). I have had friends and family on both sides of the UAW in several of the factories in the Midwest. I will say I will never belong to union again. I think I am qualified to make comments on Unions and the way they operate. As much as someone who probably has belonged to only one union shop.

I have yet to meet a union that is not crooked...

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know about that, but I do know for a fact at 17:00 they are out of the parking lot on their ways home everyday and no weekends or holidays... ;)

If you've never been around the union this something they do to people that go above and beyond in their job. If you do something out of your exact job description they will tell you you are taking a mans job. Sorry, I wondered if anyone would get it.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Really I have worked in several unions (none were UAW, thank God). I have had friends and family on both sides of the UAW in several of the factories in the Midwest. I will say I will never belong to union again. I think I am qualified to make comments on Unions and the way they operate. As much as someone who probably has belonged to only one union shop.

I have yet to meet a union that is not crooked...
    :+1:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you've never been around the union this something they do to people that go above and beyond in their job. If you do something out of your exact job description they will tell you you are taking a mans job. Sorry, I wondered if anyone would get it.

Oh I understood your humor just fine.

I was on a FTX with the Danes one time. We scheduled a range with them. Being Americans shooting big F'ning Rockets downrange we shot until all the rockets were expended. The Danes being Union left at 16:00, because it was a 45 min drive back to the parking lot. ;)

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Oh I understood your humor just fine.

I was on a FTX with the Danes one time. We scheduled a range with them. Being Americans shooting big F'ning Rockets downrange we shot until all the rockets were expended. The Danes being Union left at 16:00, because it was a 45 min drive back to the parking lot. ;)
    :lmfao: I would like to see them in a real combat situation; do they stop fighting and go back to base?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Don't know they do support us in Kuwait but I have never seen them north of the border...

I do know that both the British SAS and the Black Watch does do Tea Time at 16:00 everyday REGARDLESS of whether they are in a fight or not. Civilized then to do good man...

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    Because your office does wage disputes, might make you qualified to discuss wage disputes. But at no time were your post about wage disputes. You can have the last word, as this will be my last reply on the subject.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    At one point in time my union was very effective. Just like nearly every other large organization in this world they have become greedy and self serving. I've never been allowed to vote for ANYONE in the international union and they promote from within.Therefore I only pay dues and have no real say so about the decisions they make. Sounds like the Communist party you say? That's just how I view them at this point in time. I could go on and on but won't bore you with my:ranton:. As I've said before. At least the Communists had elections even though they only had one person running. :dunno:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Nope. Never.

Did have a friend who was in a union when he worked on power plants in Tennessee. He got in trouble for doing his work to quickly. Needed to stretch it out over several weeks according to his union.

Just passing on a little story...

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I went through the apprenticeship in a union. I'm glad I got out of that train robbery that turned into a train wreck when I did. The crap and stupidity and outright thievery I saw while in, then experienced after I started my own business years later, if written down, wouldn't sound believable.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Me? Only as management over a union group - IBEW Television Broadcast in another market. Some good, lots bad. It was interesting watching older Union gentlemen whom I respected - anti-abortion, conservative, devout Catholics - trouble over feeling necessary to vote Democrat to support their Union base when they abhorred the bulk of the tenets of the Democratic party and found it contrary to their religion.

Construction Union wages did put the roof over my head and food in my mouth as a youth. I can respect the Unions where "level" (apprentice, journeyman, etc.) could reasonably establish the knowledge and skill of the worker. I have conceptual problems with the Unions that establish no "level" of expertise or experience and whom the only requirement for full Union membership was successful acquisition of a job.

IBEW - whom I have intimate experience with - is a VERY different animal whether one is talking about a Local of actual electricians versus those non-electrician locals that tried to blanket in low-voltage (telecom / network lines) and TV/Radio communications / operations. As an example, IBEW Local 1 in St. Louis were the actual electricians. IBEW Local 4 in St Louis was anyone who got a job in broadcast and were then compelled to join - directors, photographers, on-air talent, audio operators, assignment desk - these people were NOT electricians nor were many even of a technical job description.

I digress...

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I'm Union and damn proud of it.

Been a dues paying member over 30 years and have never regretted a day.
    I work my 8 and get paid a fair wage that I helped established.

If I don't work, I don't get paid, I get replaced. Thats how it should be.

No seniority for me, I continue my education on my dime,
    when things slow down, if I'm the better employee, I continue to work.

I take breaks but its not written in my contract,

I belong to a National Organization, if I choose to go to Texas or another State provided there is work, a job is waiting for me.

If I need a drug free qualified welder for IPL, I can pick up the phone and have one within hours, no hassle, no excuses, no B.S.

As I have stated many times before on this site, the Unions set the pay scale for those that are not organized.

FORD Manufacturing still employees Union people, still produces a fine car
    and still making a profit.

The employees of GM & Chrysler did not wreck those Companies,
    our Government did with the sanctions and attached strings.

Then our Government pulled thousands of car franchises... for what???
    These Dealers sold cars, not sucked off the Manufactures.

You have your reasons, I have mine. That we can agree on.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    Union Ironworker for 17 years calluses and scars all over me, I eat like a horse and I'm not fat. If you're lazy (slugs we call them) or a whiner you are gone no two ways around it. Have they done much for me, I really don't know, I've never been unemployed, I did sign for my NUMBERED ballot in my first Union election...I guess I voted the right way. As far as having to vote democrat all of the time that's B.S. I've voted for brad Ellsworth because the letters I get from him are not form letters. Evan Bayh got my vote for govener other than that not one time since.

Top Bottom