• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I ask, are WE the minority in this country?

Before you just pop off, think about it....

Im not asking whos right and whos wrong here... so dont let that be your answer.

Dont quote me statistics on gun ownership because its bigger than that. We have proven that someone can own several guns, and still not agree with a single fundamental belief that you have, or possess an ounce of common sense.

Im talking about true conservative beliefs... No one has them anymore.

Im afraid the days of us having any sway, are getting fewer and fewer, and we are becoming more and more like the crazy old man down the street, to most Americans.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having many friends/acquaintances that are serious liberal Democrats to the point of party involvement and office holders it has always seemed so off key to me that their core beliefs are so conservative. How they raise family and conduct themselves in life. To sit and have good conversation with them leaves me puzzled how the arrive at the political points they embrace. Many own firearms but are not open about it.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    ive had a ton of thought on this lately.

my feeling is, the libertarian movement is the way to go. traditional conservatives are fighting a HELL of a battle. as far as social movement, the big issues are gay marriage and abortion.

that, is something that is up to someones personal belief. as a libertarian, raising your children as you see fit, will it really harm you? if youre a hardcore christian, will state acceptance of something that doesnt fit your personal policy really impact you?

the old adage -let god sort em out- comes to mind. if you believe youre awash with sinners, then do as you feel is right per your family. let everyone else be.we dont need govt telling me what is acceptable and what is not, according to your faith or mine.

let people do as they please until it interferes with your family. if you think your neighbors are going to hell, well ****in let em.

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    Not the minority. Just too busy working and trying to provide. I know that it feels that way with the over-saturation of progressives which seem to rule the media. When they want credibility they pretend to represent the majority. At the same time, when they're feigning altruism, they pretend to be a small huddled mass of nobility that's fighting the ignorant herd.

We are not a minority. We are a busy, quiet, fractured majority. I would like to see this change.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    YES, WE are the minority. Depends on what you call a majority. I think that when you add up all the "other" minorities, then WE, are. The working, the "gun owners", tax payers, "thinkers". I am afraid to say much else, but I think you can see where I am going .....

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    .... that you are not equipped to answer; makes you seem an Ass-Hat smart-aleck. Do those terms fit you?

It's a rhetorical question. You'll find self-proclaimed "conservatives" may have a wide variety of views. In fact, conservatism has been shifting for centuries. Is "true" conservatism the classic liberalism of Edmund Burke...or something else? Is it something rooted in philosophy or Christianity?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I didnt ask about your question, I have no doubt that you think Im an ass hat smart aleck for posting this question.. I fgiured a good deal of people wouldnt be open minded enough to handle it.. I was asking you what about my asking the question, leads you to belive Im an asshat smart aleck...

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I guess we can all be considered a minority in one way or another. However, with respect to gun issues, I would say that the majority of US citizens are supportive of gun rights. With that being said, many do not know how the laws work with respect to responsible gun owners. I had someone tell me that he had no idea that you could not just have an AR delivered to your house. He thought you could.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    No! I don't think America is that watered down just yet. I think there are many more "traditional values" type Americans than people would admit. The media, and anyone else who has a loud voice has screamed so loudly against "traditional values" that some are afraid to admit it publicly that they are, indeed, "traditional value" embracing Americans.

Hopefully, my assessment is correct, and if it comes down to it, Americans will stand up for what they believe in.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I didnt ask about your question, I have no doubt that you think Im an ass hat smart aleck for posting this question.. I fgiured a good deal of people wouldnt be open minded enough to handle it.. I was asking you what about my asking the question, leads you to belive Im an asshat smart aleck...

Are you talking to me? I have no problem with your question. I think it's pretty thought provoking actually. I would immediately respond, of course! But then, I'm not a "true" conservative by anyone's definition.

I think it's always been politically problematic to be "true" or pure anything as far as attachment to idealism. The troubles that the GOP is experiencing right now exemplify this. What exactly does a Wall St. neo-con have in common with a tea partier? That the tea partiers slightly favor the neo-con's version of economic manipulation to the other parties slightly different economic manipulation? If it weren't for a two party system, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to try to lump ourselves into groups, it might make more sense to discuss issues on their relative merits. As it is, both of our parties are in somewhat of an identity crisis. The Dems favor certain civil liberties and a certain brand of authoritarianism. The GOP favors other certain civil liberties and a slightly different brand of authoritarianism. But there is a great deal of overlap that seems to go largely unacknowledged thanks to our tendency to polarize things on linear scales.

True, classic liberalism conservatives? Yeah, I'd say that would be a minority.

:cheers:

GGF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I had this conversation with a friend of mine, he's 59 and I'm 51, both conservative Republican old white men. He made the same observation you have, politically we have become the minority in this country.
    Here in Indiana we probably are the majority but we live in a "fly over" state and the east & west coast does not have the same demographics, political stance or work ethics we do.
    And guns are not our biggest problem, healthcare, crushing national debt and government spending will affect your ability to make a living - as in being able to keep a little of the money you work for, long after this AWB foolishness is put to rest.

Don't think we're in the minority?
    Did you notice that a little more was withheld from your paycheck the first of the year? The working minority will have to pay more and more to the non-working majority. They're just gettin' started.

Instead of all the news about guns every day, I'd like to have some of the talking heads tell us how we're going to pay our bills in this country.

GGF

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No! I don't think America is that watered down just yet. I think there are many more "traditional values" type Americans than people would admit. The media, and anyone else who has a loud voice has screamed so loudly against "traditional values" that some are afraid to admit it publicly that they are, indeed, "traditional value" embracing Americans.

Hopefully, my assessment is correct, and if it comes down to it, Americans will stand up for what they believe in.

I think you are close on this. We are just tired of being shouted down and sound bite stereo typed. Hard to be heard over all the noise.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    It's a rhetorical question. You'll find self-proclaimed "conservatives" may have a wide variety of views. In fact, conservatism has been shifting for centuries. Is "true" conservatism the classic liberalism of Edmund Burke...or something else? Is it something rooted in philosophy or Christianity?

Edmund Burke a classic liberal?

Naaa.....

Now, Locke on the other hand....

Of course, others have argued that Jesus is the best example of liberty.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Are you talking to me? I have no problem with your question. I think it's pretty thought provoking actually. I would immediately respond, of course! But then, I'm not a "true" conservative by anyone's definition.

I think it's always been politically problematic to be "true" or pure anything as far as attachment to idealism. The troubles that the GOP is experiencing right now exemplify this. What exactly does a Wall St. neo-con have in common with a tea partier? That the tea partiers slightly favor the neo-con's version of economic manipulation to the other parties slightly different economic manipulation? If it weren't for a two party system, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to try to lump ourselves into groups, it might make more sense to discuss issues on their relative merits. As it is, both of our parties are in somewhat of an identity crisis. The Dems favor certain civil liberties and a certain brand of authoritarianism. The GOP favors other certain civil liberties and a slightly different brand of authoritarianism. But there is a great deal of overlap that seems to go largely unacknowledged thanks to our tendency to polarize things on linear scales.

True, classic liberalism conservatives? Yeah, I'd say that would be a minority.

:cheers:

Sorry, thought you were trying to be obtuse.. Ive been getting alot of that lately.

I had this conversation with a friend of mine, he's 59 and I'm 51, both conservative Republican old white men. He made the same observation you have, politically we have become the minority in this country.
    Here in Indiana we probably are the majority but we live in a "fly over" state and the east & west coast does not have the same demographics, political stance or work ethics we do.
    And guns are not our biggest problem, healthcare, crushing national debt and government spending will affect your ability to make a living - as in being able to keep a little of the money you work for, long after this AWB foolishness is put to rest.

Don't think we're in the minority?
    Did you notice that a little more was withheld from your paycheck the first of the year? The working minority will have to pay more and more to the non-working majority. They're just gettin' started.

Instead of all the news about guns every day, I'd like to have some of the talking heads tell us how we're going to pay our bills in this country.

GGF

I have always felt like the east and west coasts have "accurately represented" America, by ignoring the rest of us. But, because of that, in the urban areas, even here, they seem to share the mentality of the coasts... scary.

Top Bottom