• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I like to think I am a reasonable person. Two of my EDCs: CZ 2075 Rami B & Sig P365X with P365 Wilson Combat grip module. Both cycle well, are accurate and hold POA so far.

Edit: the Rami has factory sights which sight fine through the RDS and on the Sig can sight via a notch on the back of the sight. Both methods are as accurate as iron sights if I have RDS failure.
    View attachment 269360
    The sighting system on the Sig seems like a fine way to get around an RDS failure. How do your two EDCs stack up against one another? Do you have a preference?

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Red Dots are nice but here are some things to know.

1. Many modern pistols cut a notch in the top of the chamber as a way to identify if there is a round loaded. This causes gas and gunk to accumulate on most red dot lenses. You will really start to notice this after a magazine or 2. Is this impactful to a self-defense scenario? Probably not but maybe.

2. You won't notice your battery died. This can be mitigated but you'll have to pay attention.

3. Your shot-to-shot time may be faster but you will have to practice to get the dot where you want it on the draw. This means you may be slower to the first shot. Again, mitigate with training.

4. Most people seem to have better accuracy at longer ranges with red dots.

I have been shooting red dots on pistols for many years, and lately, I'm finding less advantage over iron sights. That may just be my aging eyes.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    The sighting system on the Sig seems like a fine way to get around an RDS failure. How do your two EDCs stack up against one another? Do you have a preference?
    Both have about 3” barrels and accuracy wise edge to the CZ. The sig is smaller and lighter and I tend to take it when I am lightly dressed and need something more concealable. The CZ is heavier and thicker so less felt recoil. I carry both with a 10 + 1, my spare sig mag is 12 rnds, the CZ 14. My favorite EDC is my CZ PCR (15+1) its a bigger pistol with a longer aight radius and has only iron sights and I shoot it well hitting torso sized targets out to 50 yds.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Red Dots are nice but here are some things to know.

1. Many modern pistols cut a notch in the top of the chamber as a way to identify if there is a round loaded. This causes gas and gunk to accumulate on most red dot lenses. You will really start to notice this after a magazine or 2. Is this impactful to a self-defense scenario? Probably not but maybe.

2. You won't notice your battery died. This can be mitigated but you'll have to pay attention.

3. Your shot-to-shot time may be faster but you will have to practice to get the dot where you want it on the draw. This means you may be slower to the first shot. Again, mitigate with training.

4. Most people seem to have better accuracy at longer ranges with red dots.

I have been shooting red dots on pistols for many years, and lately, I'm finding less advantage over iron sights. That may just be my aging eyes.
    1. Both my carry pistols have this notch and have shot several hundred rounds at a time with each without any significant clouding

2. I change batteries on a conservative schedule and check every time I pull one out of the safe. So far have never had a surprise battery failure, with both my Holosuns and my one Sig Romeo 1

3. You need to practice with or without a red dot! I find my P365 did not require any Retraining, every time I raise it up the dot is right there but wish I had spent the extra to get the 507k for it as with my Rami I use the circle and dot reticle and find at close quarters I am quicker on target with the red dot. If that big circle is in the target a bullet is in the target.

4. With my short barreled pistols definitely true. Hopefully will never need but nice to know I can hit a head shot at 25+ yards

I find with aging eyes (66+) I have more trouble focusing on the front sight than I used to. Red dot helps and will likely be adding more to my pistols.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Much appreciated, guys. That was my initial thought (that he's wrong), but I wanted the input of others who, unlike me, actually have experience with red dots.

Fixer - the Hellcat Pro is one of the 3 pistols I'm seriously considering for my next one. I want red dot capable with the ability to co-witness with the iron sites, so that if I experience an issue with the electronics I'm not out of the fight. How do you like Hellcat?
    So far I am really liking it. I like that it is thin and compact but not to small for my hand. I wasn't interested in the Hellcat line until they came out with the Pro. It has been my EDC since I got it. The wife has a Glock 43X that I like but we had to change the mag release and buy the SA Mags to get to 15 rounds. The Hellcat does that right out of the box.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    So far I am really liking it. I like that it is thin and compact but not to small for my hand. I wasn't interested in the Hellcat line until they came out with the Pro. It has been my EDC since I got it. The wife has a Glock 43X that I like but we had to change the mag release and buy the SA Mags to get to 15 rounds. The Hellcat does that right out of the box.
    Thank you. I'm really leaning toward the Hellcat Pro, but I may have to rent one of those and a Sig 365XL to test side by side.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Thank you. I'm really leaning toward the Hellcat Pro, but I may have to rent one of those and a Sig 365XL to test side by side.
    I usually shoot at Midwest Shooting Center in Ft Wayne. I believe they have both of those guns. I have not shot the 365. I had an M17 and didn't care for the trigger at all. We put a ghost trigger bar in the 43X which improved it quite a bit. I do not plans to modify the Hellcat. I was back and forth on the red dot because I really like the factory sights they use on them.

Top Bottom