Are our gun rights currently being infringed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you think that the 2A rights are currently being infringed?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Price of NFA items is not an infringements of anyones right to own them ...

I think it is.It's just like having to pay a $5000 fee in order to vote in my opinion.
    You would still have the right to vote, but just a few people could afford to do so.
    What if they add a tax on ammo and you now have a $200 tax on each box of ammo you buy, wouldn't that be infringement as well or just a simple tax that doesn't anything to do with the infringement upon our rights? :dunno:

Taxes on NFA items is just a legal way to infringe gun rights, they can still say that any civilian can buy those, when it fact it's any civilian that can spend $25 000 on a single rifle, so not many people.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I think it is.It's just like having to pay a $5000 fee in order to vote in my opinion.
    You would still have the right to vote, but just a few people could afford to do so.
    What if they add a tax on ammo and you now have a $200 tax on each box of ammo you buy, wouldn't that be infringement as well or just a simple tax that doesn't anything to do with the infringement upon our rights? :dunno:

Taxes on NFA items is just a legal way to infringe gun rights, they can still say that any civilian can buy those, when it fact it's any civilian that can spend $25 000 on a single rifle, so not many people.

I can sell you a machine gun for a dollar, the price is pure capitalism. Supply and demand.

The only infringment is that the supply is frozen thus driving up cost. And the tax. Oh and the registry.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Im not sure what legally makes a knife a switchblade.

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.

On assisted opening knives you press on a part of a blade, not a "button, device containing gas, or other device in the handle" so they are legal.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I can sell you a machine gun for a dollar, the price is pure capitalism. Supply and demand.

The only infringment is that the supply is frozen thus driving up cost. And the tax. Oh and the registry.

For one dollar a piece I take two Sir! :D

I agree that the price is pure capitalism but it's not like Glock dont build any Glock 18 anymore, for example, making the supply go down and the demand up.
    It's the government that makes it illegal to buy a gun made after 1986 (I think, not sure on the date) like the Glock 18.
    Therefore it's clearly an infringement on our rights and not just pure capitalism.
    The government is responsable for the cost going up since as soon as they make it legal again the price would drop like crazy.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.

On assisted opening knives you press on a part of a blade, not a "button, device containing gas, or other device in the handle" so they are legal.

Damn, I thought that only OTF knives were illegal not ALL automatic knives, that's messed up. :n00b:
    I do own, and display proudly :D , a few switch blades.
    Not in Indiana thought, totally legal where they are stored, I also have some "throwing stars" to go with them, only because it's cool to own things that are illegal in Indiana outside of Indiana. :cool:
    Just like going to Holland to smoke weed or going to Nevada for legal prostitution you know. :laugh:
    Not that I never been to Nevada. ;)

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    *To exclude those with a criminal record who actually abide by the laws and are thus rendered defenseless for the rest of their lives (often for a non-violent crime with no ill intent at all.)

I know a guy fits this description. Just can't think of his name right now.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The irony of somebody asking a gun forum if the 2nd amendment is being infringed upon, it humors me.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The irony of somebody asking a gun forum if the 2nd amendment is being infringed upon, it humors me.

I wanted to ask another forum but im not sure they even heard of the second amendment, I thought it would be simplier asking you guys. :):

I was just curious, not all gun owners think that the 2A is infringed in any way.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Glad I am not the one guy who is laughing (while crying a little inside) at some of the responses... ;)
    I wanted to ask another forum but im not sure they even heard of the second amendment, I thought it would be simplier asking you guys. :):

I was just curious, not all gun owners think that the 2A is infringed in any way.
    I would have voted for the 2nd Amendment has been infringed upon even greatly, but not any worse or more so than the rest of the first 10... :popcorn:

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yes, it's being violated. Why can't I walk into the local hardware store and buy a full auto? Wasn't it our Founders intent for the people to have access to the same type of arms as our military so that we could mount a proper defense against a tyrannical government? Imagine if the Militia were limited to spears during the Revolutionary War! I also don't think it's right that a person with a criminal past can't have the means to defend themselves. This being the case, then their debt to society is never fully paid. If they've committed a crime that is THAT dangerous that they are that much of a threat, why are they not still in prison? For instance, if I drop my kids off at school, while armed, I am a law-abiding citizen as long as I stay in the vehicle. Take one step outside the vehicle, now I'm a felon that if caught, charged and convicted, has been determined to be a threat for life and unable to carry a firearm. Geography shouldn't make me a criminal, my actions should be the determining factor. If someone commits a crime while armed, factor that into their sentence, but once they get out, they should have the same Natural rights that God gave the rest of us. My :twocents:.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yes, it's being violated. Why can't I walk into the local hardware store and buy a full auto? Wasn't it our Founders intent for the people to have access to the same type of arms as our military so that we could mount a proper defense against a tyrannical government? Imagine if the Militia were limited to spears during the Revolutionary War! I also don't think it's right that a person with a criminal past can't have the means to defend themselves. This being the case, then their debt to society is never fully paid. If they've committed a crime that is THAT dangerous that they are that much of a threat, why are they not still in prison? For instance, if I drop my kids off at school, while armed, I am a law-abiding citizen as long as I stay in the vehicle. Take one step outside the vehicle, now I'm a felon that if caught, charged and convicted, has been determined to be a threat for life and unable to carry a firearm. Geography shouldn't make me a criminal, my actions should be the determining factor. If someone commits a crime while armed, factor that into their sentence, but once they get out, they should have the same Natural rights that God gave the rest of us. My :twocents:.

Good point, you dont have to do something bad to become a felon, just something illegal.
    And then you lose your right to own and use firearms.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

This is a very open ended ammendment - the term keep is not explicitly defined nor is bear - I am no constitutional lawyer but IMHO this language can be interpreted in many ways and unfortunately is...:rolleyes:
    Staying to the original thought process of Mr Jefferson et al I suppose they were contemplating the arms of their times - muskets, pistols, swords, knives, cannons, etc. Now in thier intent the term "bear" likely means carry. If so, arms would be limited to those you can carry/shoulder thereby ruling cannons out;). Unless of course the term "keep" can cover the owning of such things as cannons and/or tanks. If so I want a bloody Abrams!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

in all seriousness it drives me crazy that i need special permission and have to pay $$ for said permission to buy a silencer!!!!

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Can I buy a brand new FNH P90??? INFRINGED!

Can I buy an Uzi or Krink with a factory length barrel without having to jump through hoops??? INFRINGED!

I can go on, but it is obvious where I am going.

About "the right of the people", did the founders consider the person's age when writing that? It is for that reason we define adult versus minor, and if so, is a minor part of "the people"?

And people who know me know that my personal, perfect play toy would be an A10 Warthog (Thunderbolt II to purists) with active but unused weapon hard points. Except that little noisemaker in the nose!!! That would be fully functional.

Top Bottom