Are "Montana Gold" 9mm bullets good to go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I haven't reloaded 9mm ammo since the '08 election and I find myself wanting to buy some reloading components. Normally my bullet of choice would be a hornady 124gr JHP. Since the days of finding those are a thing of the past I have come across the Montana Gold bullets at a premium on gunbroker. I'm not looking for lectures of panic buying, I'm trying to find out if these bullets are junk. These would be fired in glocks, and I would want them to be able to perform like any jacketed hollow point is meant to.

I appreciate any help, especially if you know I could find my beloved Hornadys.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't reload myself, but I've not read anything bad about MG.

I gather they're rather well regarded.

-J-

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks guys. Way back I bought a bunch of berry bullets thinking I was saving money and getting a good bullet and they turned out to be the worst bullets I'd ever shot. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing that all over again.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    What went wrong??

Thanks guys. Way back I bought a bunch of berry bullets thinking I was saving money and getting a good bullet and they turned out to be the worst bullets I'd ever shot. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing that all over again.

I've loaded+shot a "Few" Berry's Bullets with good results across the board. What made them the "worst bullets i'd ever shot"?? Bill.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've loaded+shot a "Few" Berry's Bullets with good results across the board. What made them the "worst bullets i'd ever shot"?? Bill.

Plated bullets don't go so well in full power 10mm loads in a glock barrel. Had I loaded them light for a .40 they probably would have been just fine.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would want them to be able to perform like any jacketed hollow point is meant to.

That'll be a problem. They aren't a JHP like an XTP. The jackets seperate from the lead. They aren't a self defense round or even a hunting round. They aren't meant to expand.

But they are an excellent bullet, weights are very consistent with very little deviation. I haven't used the 9mm bullets but have used 2500 of the 180 gr 40s&w JHP.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Point well taken.

Plated bullets don't go so well in full power 10mm loads in a glock barrel. Had I loaded them light for a .40 they probably would have been just fine.

I can see your point there. The last full power loads that I did for my G-20 were Nosler (200gr.) and Hornady XTP (180gr.)

FWIW: I would not run any non-premium bullet at 10MM performance levels.

Yea, any plated bullet is NOT made to work that hard.HA HA..Bill.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can see your point there. The last full power loads that I did for my G-20 were Nosler (200gr.) and Hornady XTP (180gr.)

Yea, any plated bullet is NOT made to work that hard.HA HA..Bill.

In fairness to berry's they did say on the website that the bullets shouldn't be pushed past a certain velocity, but I didn't see that warning on the gunbroker ad. In any case I fired a lot of rounds and had to really work on trigger control to hit steel plates less than 25 yards away. It was frustrating and aggrivating, but when I threw in a mag full of hornady 200gr jhp's I was right on target with every shot. Those berry's in a 10mm load just aren't a good match. At 45acp speeds I think it'd be a great round.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That'll be a problem. They aren't a JHP like an XTP. The jackets seperate from the lead. They aren't a self defense round or even a hunting round. They aren't meant to expand.

But they are an excellent bullet, weights are very consistent with very little deviation. I haven't used the 9mm bullets but have used 2500 of the 180 gr 40s&w JHP.

From what I've read there's a lot of seperation with these bullets when they're captured in the ballistic gel. I don't think that seperation is a bad thing for a bullet, but I can see why some guys don't like it. If they're otherwise ok, then I'll probably be buying some.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    That is the only bullet I use to reload now, the Montana Gold. I've found them cheap even at local gun shows. Online they are much cheaper. Every one of them has gone bang and came out of the barrel and hit where the sights were aligned when I pulled the trigger. So, I can't argue with what they do.

I personally would not use anything but factory loaded rounds for self-defense(carry) so I don't use them for that. As such, I don't care about how well they expand or don't expand. I use them as my steel and paper practice rounds.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That is the only bullet I use to reload now, the Montana Gold. I've found them cheap even at local gun shows. Online they are much cheaper. Every one of them has gone bang and came out of the barrel and hit where the sights were aligned when I pulled the trigger. So, I can't argue with what they do.

I personally would not use anything but factory loaded rounds for self-defense(carry) so I don't use them for that. As such, I don't care about how well they expand or don't expand. I use them as my steel and paper practice rounds.

That's basically what I'm talking about here. I use the hornady zombie rounds for my self defense, not because they are zombie but because they're the same as critical defense just cheaper.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Cheaper directly from MG, and free shipping. Good luck finding them in stock, though. I managed a few weeks ago when their order site was up and they had some in stock. Out again now.

Well made, very consistent. Not the cheapest but you get quality for your premium.

Cannondale

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I have found MG to be of high and consistent quality. When you buy them by the case, they are reasonably priced. I load 9mm and 357Sig with the 115gr JHP, 40S&W and 10mm with 155gr JHP and 45ACP with 185gr JHP. I have shot 1000s of the .355 and .400 with any issues. I just started reloading the 45ACP and don't expect any problems.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Cheaper directly from MG, and free shipping. Good luck finding them in stock, though. I managed a few weeks ago when their order site was up and they had some in stock. Out again now.

Well made, very consistent. Not the cheapest but you get quality for your premium.

Keep checking the site. Usually late evening is when I've been ordering mine. A friend has ordered a case every week for the last month, shows up every Saturday.

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    MG are very very good. I have used them for years in my 45. My XD does not care for the truncated 9mm 147s and thats when I found Precision Delta. Great bullets for a bit less. I wont go back to MG but still give MG the nod as the big dog for now. Bad part is Precision Delta is way back ordered. Buy what you like but give them a look. IF they had stock you can order sample packs.
    Precision Delta - Competition Ammunition

Top Bottom