Are Libertarians Racist? Salon thinks so.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Usually Libertarians are spared the "Racist", "Bigot", "Homophobe" jabs that are directed towards Republicans, I have seen here on INGO these kind of slurs directed towards Republicans while discussing the topic of gay marriage, the rise of Islamic Fascism, etc.....

But this is new...Libertarians have always been spared these kind of baseless accusations...Until now....So what changed? I think it is because for the first time a Republican with a Libertarian streak has a chance for the nomination...I am speaking of course of Rand Paul.....

To the Libertarians that are supporting Rand Paul for the (Republican) nomination (as I am as of now) I say to you that this is a good thing...When the opposition pulls out the race card for no reason other than they can, it is a good sign that you have a chance...

Entitlement doesn't bring out the race card among the opposition...Fear does...

Salon: Libertarians Seek to Preserve White Male Dominance

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Haha! Those douche bags don't have a clue.

Well, they do have a clue about manipulating weak minds by endless repetition of lies and misinformation, but clearly not about any reasonable representation of libertarianism or libertarians.

Maybe they're just mad because they hijacked the original label (liberal), but it didn't stop classical liberals from existing with a new label?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Salon has accused everybody else of racism, they've finally whittled down the target list enough that they're gotten around to Libertarians.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Salon has accused everybody else of racism, they've finally whittled down the target list enough that they're gotten around to Libertarians.

Historical Note of Interest:

(rhino) was a regular on the WeLL back in the early 1990s. The WeLL is now owned (for quite some time) by Salon.

And, you're all racists.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Haha! Those douche bags don't have a clue...

Yes they do. They know exactly what they are doing and I'm certain it will have the intended effect upon the intended audience.

Hint- the goal is not to objectively explain a discovered truth. It's to keep people who may find libertarianism and intriguing alternative to the government control that comes from liberalism, but who can't stomach calling themselves conservative, firmly in the liberal camp.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Historical Note of Interest:

(rhino) was a regular on the WeLL back in the early 1990s. The WeLL is now owned (for quite some time) by Salon.

And, you're all racists.

Pardon my ignorance Rhino but what does that mean???? I translate for Harleyrider50 so I am no slouch at translations but I am stumped??? Can you help a brother out...What's the "WeLL"?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Historically, but then the majority of those racists switched to the Republican party.

George Wallace was never a republican.
    Al Gore Sr was never a republican.
    Lester Maddox was never a republican.
    Robert Byrd was never a republican.
    Hillary Clinton has never been a republican.
    Joe Biden was never a republican.
    Harry Reid was never a republican.
    Nancy Pelosi was never a republican.
    The New Deal cared nothing for blacks...FDR was never a republican.

Looks like a lot of the old timey democrats became the Dixiecrat Party in 1948...from their platform:

We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race; the constitutional right to choose one's associates; to accept private employment without governmental interference, and to earn one's living in any lawful way. We oppose the elimination of segregation, the repeal of miscegenation statutes, the control of private employment by Federal bureaucrats called for by the misnamed civil rights program. We favor home-rule, local self-government and a minimum interference with individual rights....We call upon all Democrats and upon all other loyal Americans who are opposed to totalitarianism at home and abroad to unite with us in ignominiously defeating Harry S. Truman, Thomas E. Dewey and every other candidate for public office who would establish a Police Nation in the United States of America.

Oh yeah Strom Thurmond did become a republican...

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Usually Libertarians are spared the "Racist", "Bigot", "Homophobe" jabs that are directed towards Republicans, I have seen here on INGO these kind of slurs directed towards Republicans while discussing the topic of gay marriage, the rise of Islamic Fascism, etc.....

But this is new...Libertarians have always been spared these kind of baseless accusations...Until now....So what changed? I think it is because for the first time a Republican with a Libertarian streak has a chance for the nomination...I am speaking of course of Rand Paul.....

To the Libertarians that are supporting Rand Paul for the (Republican) nomination (as I am as of now) I say to you that this is a good thing...When the opposition pulls out the race card for no reason other than they can, it is a good sign that you have a chance...

Entitlement doesn't bring out the race card among the opposition...Fear does...

Salon: Libertarians Seek to Preserve White Male Dominance

To the left
    Libertarian = Tea party
    Tea party = racist.

They've been singing that same old tune since the Tea party came to be.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes they do. They know exactly what they are doing and I'm certain it will have the intended effect upon the intended audience.

Hint- the goal is not to objectively explain a discovered truth. It's to keep people who may find libertarianism and intriguing alternative to the government control that comes from liberalism, but who can't stomach calling themselves conservative, firmly in the liberal camp.

I stand corrected, sir.

Pardon my ignorance Rhino but what does that mean???? I translate for Harleyrider50 so I am no slouch at translations but I am stumped??? Can you help a brother out...What's the "WeLL"?

Originally WeLL = Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link. It was one of the big computer conferencing networks in the days after single line BBSs, but before the advent of commercial access to internet. Here is an article on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_WELL

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ah, gopher, telnet and BBSs (and MUDDs). :) The good old days....

Anywhoo, I think the title begs a different question, "Are Libertarians organized enough to justify a single label?"

In a sense, as implied upthread, the fact that "Libertarians" are being labeled anything other than "unorganized" is probably a good thing in terms of the movement's impact.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yep. I heard Rush Limbaugh espouse this theory years ago, in that you can always tell who the left is afraid of because that's who they attack. Rand ought to be feeling a little bit better about his prospects knowing his political enemies are now afraid he may have a chance now.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Rand Paul is not a Libertarian.

He opposes gay marriage, which is a political and philosophical impossibility for a Libertarian.

I agree completely with the first line, although quite a few Libertarians like him. He is and self identifies as a Repub. I don't think I've ever seen a quote where he calls himself a Libertarian.

The second line not so much, it is possible for a Libertarian to oppose gay marriage. And I can give you a couple of reasons why. First is to get govt out of marriage as much as possible, the second is Libertarians believe in equality for all. And no I don't mean equal actions result in equal outcomes( it doesn't). Or everyone should share everything and be equal). Gays (and any other sexual identity groups including heterosexual) have the exact same regulations as all. Only one man and one woman may be able to be married. Myself I like the idea of Heinlein's of a line marriage, I have mentioned it before to a group of liberals and you wouldn't (well maybe you would) believe the amount of hate I received. Or polygamous marriage. If deviating from the "norm" for one group is okay, why isn't it okay for the rest?

Historically, but then the majority of those racists switched to the Republican party.

Yes perhaps, but by how much of a majority? Here is a link for whites who profess a racist tendency.
    Are White Republicans More Racist Than White Democrats? | FiveThirtyEight
    But then figure in the minorities who are Repub and Dem. Most Blacks vote dem and those I've dealt with have tended to be racist, Hispanics not quite as much dem, but racisit? Hell yeah.

To the left
    Libertarian = Tea party
    Tea party = racist.

They've been singing that same old tune since the Tea party came to be.

I used to post on a very liberal blog a while back, and yes even small l libertarians were considered racists.

Same old song and dance. If you repeat it enough....it still isn't true.

Nope but a lot of people will consider it true. What's that old saying, if you tell a lie often enough.....

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I seem to remember a bunch of racism that has followed Rand Paul through the years. Haven't looked it up. Haven't really cared.
    He was always been that Libertarian guy with the alien dad that I see mentioned in the news on occasion.

So who is he, like a used car salesman or something? :dunno:

I was told never to trust anyone with two first names anyway.

Shoot, Kirk's been calling us racists for years. Why don't you guys call him out?

Because he's right. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom