Are all auto shotguns like the Beretta 391?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You cannot beat a 391 series Beretta. I have had a couple nice Remington trap semi autos, a very pretty 1100 trap and an 11-87 Premier trap. In my opinion, the Beretta shotguns were better shooters even if the wood was not as fancy as the Old Remington. Beretta's stock wedge system that allow you to fit the gun to your natural point of aim is not a gimic, it really helps. Not as good as having a custom stockmaker fit your gun to you, but it does not cost $500 extra either. I know that it is hard to understand this, but a properly fitted gun feels like it kicks less because there is a natural response to recoil according to your build just like there is a natural point of aim. Since the semi auto already spreads out the recoil energy over a longer period of time it shakes your shoulder less violently. Combine the Semi auto system with a properly fitted stock, and you get a very gentle shooter.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Do all semi-autos reduce recoil like that.................
    No they are not all equal or Beretta never would have made the A400. Plus I will bet you were not using 7/8oz loads. A400 with light loads is the pinnacle of recoil reduction.

The other day we were killing some time before heading out on a clays course. Three squads had just gone out ahead of us and one was filled with slow movers, old rich guys with double 20's that cost more than the UTV's we were riding in and all decked out in their grouse hunting gear. Opener was in 3 days. So we are talking guns and everyone is grabbing out there newest fun gun or something different gun. Most of these guns happened to be Benelli's.

Our squad had a 69 year old with an injured eye and replaced knee. A 62 year old with a sore hip. A 50 year old with a torn rotator cuff. A lovely lady with a torn ligament in her strong hand thumb. A 14 year old with a lot of shooting in his future. When we hit the course I noticed all 5 of us had Beretta's because no one wanted to eat more recoil then necessary that day. :)

The Benelli semis are inertia driven so will often be up to a full pound lighter. That equals more felt recoil. They can go 5000 rounds without cleaning but you may want to add weight to them for smoother swing and recoil reduction. The Beretta gas guns are more reliable with light loads but the Benelli can be made to run just as well and often do anyway. The Remington gas guns are soft shooters similar to Beretta (not the A400) but I have never had one that I truly trust to run over 200 rounds. They can and do but screw it, why bother. I still have one I love that is a Special Field but if I take out for clays I have to clean it before I take it hunting.

Everyone has some kind of recoil reduction stocks these days but it has hard to beat gas versus inertia and the Beretta Kickoff stock just makes it even better.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I shoot a 391 urika 2 every week about 50-150 rounds. love it.
    My kid has an a400 parallel target with the kick off system (spring dampened butt stock) that thing is the bomb. softest shooting 12 I've ever put my hands on. He shoots about 200 rounds every Wednesday with it. We use 1oz reloads.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I took the plunge and bought a used Beretta 390 Silver Mallard at Honey Creek Tackle. It looks very nice, almost too nice to drag into the woods! We can hardly wait to try it out. HCT gave me a great deal judging from the research I did prior.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I shoot a Remington 1100 on the trap range, bought it used @$440 out the door. I've put over 1K rounds through it this summer. The gas piston recoil system which is pretty much standard in a lot of semi's just need to be kept clean. Every 200 - 250 rounds works. Mine was built June 1995 The gun shoots better than me, but I will be 75 in December. The gun will still break 94/96 clays for me.

I'm looking at the Remington Versa Max, but can't find a demo or any comparison feed back as to the recoil of the 1100. Anybody out there own one?

sbond

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Franklin
    I have a 390, 391 and the A400- try it no recoil google it or youtube for details it was the fastest shooting 10 rds. 1.5 seconds but I think the new Winchester just claimed the fastest shooting auto.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just read this entire thread, and something struck me.
    Remington, Benelli, Beretta, and Winchester were all represented, but not Weatherby.

I have virtually no experience with auto-loading shotguns, but I own a Weatherby SA08 semi-auto 12ga.
    It was a gift.

I don't shoot trap or skeet, but I was wondering why no-one seems to use Weatherby's.

Anyone have any opinions of the Weatherby SA08?

SA-08 | Weatherby.com

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Gas autos kick less because:

They sometimes weigh more (1100 is a lb heavier than an 870..............and way back they were $100 more too ;)

And the cycling distributes the recoil over a longer period of time, therefore it is perceived to be less.

That "gas bleed off" doesn't do squat.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I ran 1100 magnums for trap (they'd cycle Superhandicap), doves ( again with heavier zippier loads) and geese (bismuth #2 in 3").
    Also ran an 1100 Trap (loved that thing, alas, it's a trap full bbl...........and F&W areas mandate non toxic shot for doves now).

Currently have two other 1100 mags, neither the shiny like my last 3. One is a Special Purpose (actually Parkerized, not just matte blued- they did that for the 1100 SPs). The other is a beat to Hades Ducks Unlimited Magnum. I'll be converting it to 2 3/4" only (bbl and action sleeve change).

Yeah, they might be heavier and slower than some other autos, but dang if they don't work, and work well for me............and have a long line of no problems.

BTW, I use Remoil to lube 'em and wipe off my magtube so there's just trace amount. Not burning crap shells also keeps gunk from building up.

Faster guns sure, but my clunky 1100's are fast enough for my shot recovery............. I've done triples on doves and geese. I'd say they're fast enough :)

Liked the shiny old RKW 1100's, but got tired of taping them up for turkey and or geese. Also babied them afield, after 10 yrs my purchased unfired '85 was still in 95% shape. But I really watched over it, and never crashed n burned.

I have two beaters now and hunt them hard, kinda nice not worrying about the finish. The trap 1100 is still pretty, but it only sees private land dove or clays.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What's nice about the 1100's.................parts availability should there be an issue.
    The latest project one last night would jam pulling (trying to) the bolt back. Turns out the hammer wobbles on the pivot, and the sharp edge was hitting some of the trigger group casting. Not much, but enough. I just beveled the casting and also the trailing edge of the hammer. Works fine now, but the slop still means I'll get a new hammer and pivot.

This gun was a Frankenstein when I got it, suspect the trigger group it has is not original and was cheap due to heavy wear.
    No problem, just rebuild it :)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Sorry to dredge up a kinda old thread, but seemed better than starting a new one. We are also thinking about a semi-auto. Looked at a Beretta 391 Urika yesterday, but noticed it only says 3" ammo. We want something that can shoot 2 3/4" as well. I know that a lot of them will shoot both, but i'd rather be sure. Browning is also up for consideration. Is the recoil worse than that of a 12 ga o/u?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A shotgun will indicate the largest shell it can handle, so 3" means 3" and shorter. When looking at semi auto the key point is if the gun is known to handle light loads. If it is set up run 1oz+ loads with max dram it may not cycle target loads reliably. An unreliable gun sucks in any sport.

You would be hard pressed to find a semi auto, gas or recoil operated, that equals the recoil of an O/U. Even if the O/U is heavier, you eat recoil on an O/U especially when you go over 7/8oz loads.

In general a gas operated Beretta will recoil less than a recoil operated Benelli but both have new stocks and features to mitigate that issue. The better the gun fits you the more you can manage all the other factors. My GF switched over to a lighter weight O/U that fits her well but at some point I think she will be better suited with a heavier Beretta A400. That's my opinion but I think she may truly enjoy the O/U's over the semis. Our little band of clays shooters has a true mix of ages and guns so she sees a variety of people shooting well and each of us may run 2 different guns and both 12 & 20. She is at that point where she is trying to decide what she needs to do to win. :). She prefers lighter guns but when she goes to a truly heavier gun and slows her swing down she will be dialed in.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I don't really know that much about the new gen inertia semi-autos. The gas operated like the Rem 1100 which I always used, bleeds off some of the gas to operate the receiver so recoil was reduced that way. I could always feel a big difference with it vs. my 870.

I've got an 1100 lt 20 fires the 3 in shell, but feels like a 12.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my 1100 3" Magnum runs WW 2 3/4" heavy trap/sporting clays just fine.
    Won't cycle wuss steel shot dove loads though.
    To "fix" that all I need is buy an extra 2 3/4" bbl and swap.
    One gun, two barrels, should run everything but the most wuss of loads (it still runs a heavier magnum action sleeve when I bbl swap- but I could also change that if I wanted).

BTW the "gas bleed off" doesn't reduce recoil. Distributing the recoil over a longer period allows it to be felt less.
    It's not a venting issue, it's a time issue.
    Well that and the gun usually weighing more (less recoil to start with).
    Add in a new style elastomer pad and things should be pretty darn comfy.

But none of that matters if it doesn't fit. Cheek bonk is the worst.

Top Bottom