[AR15] Short handguards vs long handguards... what do you prefer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Im starting to see a trend of long handguards. All the way up to the flash hider. The logic is to decrease chances of barrell harmonic in case youd have to brace your gun against an obstruction.

Im in the lightweight, short handguard camp.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If the cal is centerfire rifle, I know heat will be an issue so with a 16" or longer barrel, I like a 12" handguard. For my SBRs, I like the handguard to be as long as possible without covering the muzzle. I mainly shoot suppressed and even then the handguard can get very hot after a long string. I'd never try to tuck one of my suppressors on any of my 5.56 or .308 SBRs. If only shooting .22lr or a pistol caliber, by all means, tuck the suppressor.

Why is it you won't tuck a suppressor on a rifle??

Im starting to see a trend of long handguards. All the way up to the flash hider. The logic is to decrease chances of barrell harmonic in case youd have to brace your gun against an obstruction.

Im in the lightweight, short handguard camp.

I see what you are saying here and its what I think the draw is for people who aren't doing it for aesthetics. Then they can rest the guard not the barrel on a barrier.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Anymore I prefer the longer 12-15" slim handgaurds. Get nice weight savings from the slim design with the added sight radius with the longer hand gaurd.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I can say, that my 15" BCM KMR handguard is the bomb diggity and light weight.... I actually like it more then most of my other rifles that have shorter Daniel Defense rails.

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    Mid-length is my preference. I think handguards in the "carbine" length range are uncomfortable, and longer rails add unnecessary weight to the front of the weapon. I have no complains with just a Magpul middy on my PSA upper

Phoenix1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Greenwood
    Short. IF I'm using the AR then I'm humpin' it and don't want the weight.
    I have a sling and fixed A2 front sight, folding rear and red dot cowitness.
    I can make the shots with the short guard and sling that the caliber excels at. Farther away I go to my AR10 or bolt guns. They're all tools to me.
    IF shtf I will be totin' what I'm used to. I'll use the weight and space savings for bacon or dental floss.

Well said! Just out of curiosity, what's the farthest you shoot with your AR?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom