[AR15] Short handguards vs long handguards... what do you prefer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I'm curious as to what people here prefer when building an AR and why.

I'm awaiting a new full length keymod handguard to replace the 7" one that I previously had. I'll be the first to admit that this is almost purely for appearances sake, as I personally just like the look of a longer handguard and want a flush fit the rest of the rifle upper. I don't have (or want) a lot of accessories so aside from the longer sight radius on iron sights there is little benefit (for me) for going full length.

What do you all think? I see a lot of nice ARs in the picture thread, many seem to use shorter handguards. Any particular reason?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Shorter... for weight, anything past the front sight looks odd to me, and I don't want to buy a bunch of rail covers

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I've settled on 9-10" handguards being the most comfortable minimum length for me. Anything longer than that is useful to mount a light/etc., but the farthest point of my off hand naturally falls at around 9.5" in an ideal position.
    That said, I usually opt for a handguard that extends to the aft end of the muzzle device on a 16" (or shorter) barrel since many shooting positions encourage/require me to extend my off hand more than it would be in an optimal position. The additional iron sight radius distance is also a nice benefit. If the gun has a carbine length gas system, I tend to burn my hand unless the sight/gas block is covered, but that's probably a result of using longer free float handguards or standard handguards on a gun with a rifle gas system.
    I don't think I'd buy anything longer than 13" no matter what the barrel length... I had a 15" JP handguard on an 18" barreled AR and the only advantage to me was that it allowed me to mount the bipod further forward.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I found that I prefer the 12-15" handguard rails with a folding front sight. It's more comfortable for me to have my arm stretched out. I feel like I'm cramped and confined when shooting a rifle with a 7-10" Handguard.

Moving to the longer Handguard had also improved my accuracy with a rifle too.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Shortest rail I have is a 10", just because it has an 8.5" barrel. Still comfortable but I prefer 11"+

Carbine systems with a front sight post, it's just way too cramped for me and midlengths are almost the same way

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Do you use your AR as a rifle, that is shoot it at distance? If you do, being able to use it in offhand, sitting, kneeling and prone positions, a long free float hand guard with a sling swivel at the end will have advantage. If your AR is used as a spray and pray urban assualt two handed pistol, I would think shorter and lighter would be an advantage.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I always say go as long as you can.... especially with a free float.... you can rest the handguard on objects to act as a stabilizer without affecting accuracy.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If the cal is centerfire rifle, I know heat will be an issue so with a 16" or longer barrel, I like a 12" handguard. For my SBRs, I like the handguard to be as long as possible without covering the muzzle. I mainly shoot suppressed and even then the handguard can get very hot after a long string. I'd never try to tuck one of my suppressors on any of my 5.56 or .308 SBRs. If only shooting .22lr or a pistol caliber, by all means, tuck the suppressor.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I always say go as long as you can.... especially with a free float.... you can rest the handguard on objects to act as a stabilizer without affecting accuracy.

This. Plus the further you get your support hand out, the more controllable the gun will be shot to shot. And if you run buis, the longer sight radius will help in accuracy

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Short. IF I'm using the AR then I'm humpin' it and don't want the weight.
    I have a sling and fixed A2 front sight, folding rear and red dot cowitness.
    I can make the shots with the short guard and sling that the caliber excels at. Farther away I go to my AR10 or bolt guns. They're all tools to me.
    IF shtf I will be totin' what I'm used to. I'll use the weight and space savings for bacon or dental floss.

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    I went with an upper that had a 15" rail on a 16" barrel. I like the longer rail since it doesn't have an A-Frame front sight...the longer the rail, the further out you can put the front sight. It also allowed me to mount my light in a more forward position that works well with my AFG which is about halfway down the rail.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You can keep your dang railed handguards. I have a 20 inch rilfe that weighs much less then most of your 16 inch carbines!

AR-15, Never before have improvements just jacked up a platform!

a1done.JPG

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    You can keep your dang railed handguards. I have a 20 inch rilfe that weighs much less then most of your 16 inch carbines!

AR-15, Never before have improvements just jacked up a platform!

Wasn't too long ago that you thought the AR platform sucked. I have no doubt you'll come around on this issue as well. :):

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Short. IF I'm using the AR then I'm humpin' it and don't want the weight.
    I have a sling and fixed A2 front sight, folding rear and red dot cowitness.
    I can make the shots with the short guard and sling that the caliber excels at. Farther away I go to my AR10 or bolt guns. They're all tools to me.
    IF shtf I will be totin' what I'm used to. I'll use the weight and space savings for bacon or dental floss.
    Hmmm Bacon and dental floss. ? ..... lol, I agree

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I prefer the least amount of exposed barrel as I can get, so longer is what I choose.

And my 13" BCM keymod forearm on my 14.5" barreled upper, more than likely, weighs less than BigMoose's 20" old school contraption! :p

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Folks wanna talk about weight and humpin' it around, my Fortis rev 12 rails weigh a frog hair over 9oz. That's the same or less than a lot f these 7"-9" rails

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Do you use your AR as a rifle, that is shoot it at distance? If you do, being able to use it in offhand, sitting, kneeling and prone positions, a long free float hand guard with a sling swivel at the end will have advantage. If your AR is used as a spray and pray urban assualt two handed pistol, I would think shorter and lighter would be an advantage.
    ^^ This. ^^

Rifles are rifles, pistols are pistols.

And I don't believe in 'spray and pray', LOL...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom