• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUBrink

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I was talking to a friend a few months ago about how he went shooting for the first time with a relative of his, and one thing that he said that really stuck out for was "The AR15 sure does have alot of kick". Until yesterday I've been confused by what he meant.

Well I was watching the new episode of Sons of Guns last night and saw that the customer who brought in his AR15 was experiencing a moderate amount of recoil when he shot it at their range.

I'm not sure what I am seeing. My AR15 recoils so little, that the only vibration the gun feels is the loud boom rattling the gun. Are ARs built so different that some have moderate recoil and some have none? :ar15:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    My guess would be not shouldering the weapon correctly, really not needed but if they are inexperienced or new to the AR platform then.... Im old school: nose to CH.

The guy on SOG was a lefty using a RH AR so he definately didnt have it shouldered properly.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. Most likely the shooter is untrained and not mounting or standing properly. Heck, just look at a gun rag and look at all the photos of the pudknockers with guns. Elbows out of position, no one utilitizes the sling, weapon held like a kid with a snake, standing up like tall, skinny candles, leaning back with the girl lean, inter alia, it's just pathetic.

2. The AR platform is available in other calibers than .223. Perhaps he was shooting another caliber and as a new shooter did not realize that it was not .223.

3. Many new shooters swear up and down that the buffer sound is hurting them. This is akin to the claim that "the bullet does not kill, it is the sound".

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    also, first ima say different strokes for different folks. but if you do not have good control of the bore. i.e. hand out on the hand guard thumb over bore. the rifle is natural to want to cant away from your shooting shoulder. in the case of a righty its gonna move high right. guns always gonna move away from positive tension. also helps you drive from target to target. the more you bend them knees and maintain an aggressive stance, the lower the bore axis is on your body. ergo less muzzle camming.

its certainly not a size game either, ive seen five foot six, one hundred fifty pound guys put rounds out more effective than guys the size of your favorite basketball player.

as said above by probably very skilled shooters. stance and experience are paramount.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    My father told me a story about when he was in boot. They had just introduced the M16 to the troops and the drill sargent took the M16, placed it on his own crotch, and pulled the trigger. The long and the short of it was that he did not collapse, writhing in pain. Compared to larger caliber weapons (12 ga, 308), the recoil of the AR-15 is about as light as you can get unless you go down to the 22LR. I could guess that someone with limited shooting experience might feel like the 223 had more recoil than expected, especially if they have shot nothing but handguns and 22lr, just a guess though.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    This discussion reminded me of something ... True story ... NRA Certified Firearms Instructor told a class that the reason the muzzle of the gun goes up is because hot gases tend to rise.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Noise and muzzle blast seem to have an effect on peoples perception of recoil. I have a CETME that is pretty mild as far as recoil, but reciprocating mass and muzzle blast are significant. Most of my friends will not shoot it because they feel it "kicks" too much.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I was talking to a friend a few months ago about how he went shooting for the first time with a relative of his, and one thing that he said that really stuck out for was "The AR15 sure does have alot of kick". Until yesterday I've been confused by what he meant.

Well I was watching the new episode of Sons of Guns last night and saw that the customer who brought in his AR15 was experiencing a moderate amount of recoil when he shot it at their range.

I'm not sure what I am seeing. My AR15 recoils so little, that the only vibration the gun feels is the loud boom rattling the gun. Are ARs built so different that some have moderate recoil and some have none? :ar15:

Tell your friend that I'll remove the muzzle-break off my 50 BMG & i'll let him shoot it, then I'll remove the muzzle-break off my 300 REMINGTON ULTRA MAG & let him shoot:D

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My father told me a story about when he was in boot. They had just introduced the M16 to the troops and the drill sargent took the M16, placed it on his own crotch, and pulled the trigger. The long and the short of it was that he did not collapse, writhing in pain. Compared to larger caliber weapons (12 ga, 308), the recoil of the AR-15 is about as light as you can get unless you go down to the 22LR. I could guess that someone with limited shooting experience might feel like the 223 had more recoil than expected, especially if they have shot nothing but handguns and 22lr, just a guess though.
    A DI at Ft. Knox did the same thing when I was in basic in '69 but with an M14. A lot of guys had never shot a gun, much less a high powered rifle. My first thought was that anybody could hold it like that standing up in the open. Now if you want to be a real man put your nuts against:eek: a post then do it. Ewoweee!!! Forget the Saturday night hootie house call in Louisville for a couple of weeks.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I wonder if some people confuse "movement" with "recoil" or "kick". In my opinion, they are not exactly the same thing.

I shot a 9mm AR for the first time a couple months ago. I was suprised how much the muzzle moved around with every shot, which probably had a lot to do with my inexperience with the gun. However, I sure wouldn't call it "recoil" or "kick". A 9mm out of a rifle is about as tame as it gets.

On a side note, you can really hear the "SPROING!" in the buffer tube with every shot on a 9mm AR, more so than the 5.56. It almost made me laugh every shot.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    On a side note, you can really hear the "SPROING!" in the buffer tube with every shot on a 9mm AR, more so than the 5.56. It almost made me laugh every shot.[/QUOTE]

A little lubriplate grease inside the buffer tube gets rid of the "sproing".

Not much is needed.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010

A DI at Ft. Knox did the same thing when I was in basic in '69 but with an M14. A lot of guys had never shot a gun, much less a high powered rifle. My first thought was that anybody could hold it like that standing up in the open. Now if you want to be a real man put your nuts against:eek: a post then do it. Ewoweee!!! Forget the Saturday night hootie house call in Louisville for a couple of weeks.

My Dad told me the same story... Must have been a popular thing for the Drill Sergeants in that era... What was a DI doing @ Ft. Knox? Did he get lost going between Parris Island and MCRD San Diego?

Top Bottom