• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaksun7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Im building my first AR and in the process of looking for a barrel for under $300. I want a 16 inch mid length, 1/7 twist(unless others suggest differntly), the gun will be used for target,plinking and home defense/shtf(incase we get there)
    im more confused now after reading about chf, cmv, chrome lined and s.s and not sure which way to go as well as a quality brand. Any thoughts from the knowledgeable people here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I went with a barrel produced from black whole weaponry. BlackHoleWeaponry.com--Welcome I really like the barrel and at the time I got a free upper receiver. Palmetto State Armory is a another one to look at also. But for a short and easy look you cant go wrong with the BCM. I took 2 years to due my first build, the research was the most fun. (saving funds was main reason) Im short on time right now but later today ill get back and toss in some more thoughts if other people have not already.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    CMV is chrome moly vanadium which basically adds strength and longer barrel life

Chrome line makes it easier to clean and adds longer barrel life. Some argue that it could lose accuracy but I doubt you would ever notice.

CHF is cold hammer forged which is a process of making the barrel. It makes the barrel stronger and possibly more accurate if the manufacturer properly stressed relief the steel. This used by top end AR makers

1:7 twist helps stabilize heavier bullets better than a 1:9, 1:7 seems to be what the top end manufacturers use and much like chrome lining any accuracy that is lost due to bullet weight not matching twist rate is so minimal you would not notice.

Bravo Co. Daniel Defense, Colt are some very good manufacturers. Palmetto State Armory has a lot of popularity here and FN makes their barrels (they also make barrels for the military).

My preference is CHF, CMV, Chrome Line, with a 1:7 twist.

jaksun7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks for the info guys, i think im leaning towards the DD barrel ifi can find 1 in stock.

Top Bottom