• BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    Which would you prefer to own and why?

Budgets $2000...

Looking toward the M1A because it just seems to be on the "classic" list/must own...Id use iron sights on either / no glass...

Can I see pics of yours?

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    here is mine.... Its a scout (18" barrel) but i love it and can get 2.5-3 moa @ 100 yards with my crappy eyes.

picture.php

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    M1A!!!!!!

One of the best looking rifle platforms around, IMO.

PLUS, if you get into the world of the long-action AR stuff - you may very well find yourself in a corner as far as what "AR parts" fit and what don't - as the "AR10" platform isn't standardized. Manufacturer A components may not play nice with Manufacturer Z's rifle, etc etc (I read this in a recent gun magazine. Shooting Times, I think...may have been G&A. Those are the only two I subscribe to - so it was one of those)

-J-

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    If your going to stick with irons, I would certainly go with the M1a. I have a DPMS LR-308, and I love it. I have thought long and hard about selling it and picking up an M1a, as they are a classic gun.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    M14 / M1A !!

I really like my M14. Built it off a Fulton receiver, USGI Winchester, HRA and TRW parts. Standard length 22" barrel and USGI Walnut stock.
    Here is the bare barreled receiver -
    picture.php

The final result - my rifle..... Only other things I did were peen the front barrel splines to tighten the front sight/flash suppressor and then I shimmed the gas system.

picture.php

picture.php

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Well add me to the list pointing to the M14 style. Nothing against the AR 10 style, I like them. But my M1A is lighter and has less felt recoil than my friends AR-10. And the iron sights are truly wonderful.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I have both an M1A and an LR-308 and I love them both. M1A is a Chinese clone (sorry but the price was right) iron sights only and the LR-308 has a 24"bull barrel with a Benny Cooley muzzle brake and a Millett 8 - 26 Mildot scope.
    Both shoot great but in a SHTF situation the M1A stays with me.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I got my M1A in Dec 1987. I wanted one since seeing an ad however many years before. I was working nights at the time, and bought it after work. I was so happy after getting my dream rifle I couldn't sleep that day.

After shooting it a year, I took it to SA (I was living about two hours away from Geneseo at the time) for upgrade to NM config. That would have been the winter of 88-89. I started shooting Highpower with it that fall, in 1989. I used it in Highpower until maybe 1996, although that became sporadic after my old club stopped holding matches about 1993.

You might think I'd be attached to the M1A, after wanting one so long and spending so much time shooting it.
    Yeah, you might.
    I'd rather shoot an AR-10 any day.

I love the Garand; it's my favorite rifle, and the M1A is a close relative. The M1A has that classic wood and steel thing going. The iron sights are excellent.
    But I'd rather shoot an AR-10 any day.

The AR-10s are usually more accurate, and usually hold zero better. Even if the accuracy is equal, it seems easier to use that accuracy and get the hits with the AR-10 because they also fit most people better, and can be used easier due to the ergonomics and recoil feel.

I'd have to make small sight adjustments to fine-tune my M1A at every match because the zero would shift a little. I had an AR-10 for 12 years and rarely touched the scope knobs. I never shot an AR-10 in Highpower, but the first time I used an AR-15, I came within 2 points of my best ever M1A score and beat it every time after that.

I know I keep talking about their uses in competition, but a lot (probably most) of the M1A/M14's glorious reputation came from Highpower. Yes, the M14/M1A dominated Highpower for a long time, but a lot of that came from the service teams who had shooters who could win with a Brown Bess, and supported by a van of armorers who worked keeping a supply of match-ready rifles standing by. The M14 rifles weren't competitive at all at first, and the services had to campaign for rules allowing mods like heavy barrels (under the handguard) and synthetic stock materials. They needed the mods to be competitive. The better match M14/M1As are pretty different from an issue M14 or standard M1A.
    Any AR-10 I know of will shoot right out of the box.

A lot of people think the M14/M1A is really rugged. I don't know why it was, but I saw more M1As have problems and breakages than I saw the ARs have when they took over. More than the much older Garands, too.

SA M1As used to be made with a lot of USGI parts so they had the advantage of good parts, but that has declined a lot. I'm not sure how much is USGI on them anymore.

About the only two advantages I see to the M1A are the iron sights and the general coolness of the wood and steel.
    I can't argue about the classic wood and steel look. How important that is will be up to the buyer. If that was the big reason for getting it, I'd just as soon buy a CMP Garand, spend a lot less doing it, and have a rifle that has some actual "been there" history to it.

The iron sights give an excellent picture and adjustments, but you do need to make sure they stay tight or the aperture will drop down on you and you'll start throwing shots low. I've seen it happen plenty of times after they were checked before a 50-shot match. The M1A seems worse than the Garand about this, and I think some of that is because the SA receiver casting has shallower serrations. Just a theory.

And if the sights are the real deal breaker (or deal maker), and you want iron sights on an AR-10... Get them. There are plenty of A2 rear sights out there, standard and match, and matching front sights, that are every bit the equal of M1A sights, if not better, IMO.

If there is any chance at all you will ever mount an optic of any kind, the AR-10 wins, no question.

I doubt I will ever part with my M1A, but it's from the nostalgia of wanting one so long and from starting Highpower with it, not from any superiority it holds over anything.

Sorry for being long-winded, and perhaps harsh sounding, but when I respond to these "Should I get ____ or _____" questions, I try to explain my reasons instead of saying "Get this".

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The M1A is a really cool rifle that is on my "I'd like to have one some day" list. On the plus side it is a legend which makes you feel you own a little part of history. It is a good caliber for long range. I really don't have anything bad to say about the M1A. That said, my Armalite 10T is my favorite rifle and has been for a long time. It shot 1 hole groups at 100 yards out of the box with Federal Gold Medal Match factory ammo. I was so impressed I worked towards replicating the load in my reloading. Not just for group, but for zero on my scope. I already had a bullet weight that would drive tacks at a certain velocity, might as well reproduce what already works. It was also nice because I could use either factory or reloads through the rifle and not have to zero the scope again. I am sure I would like a M1A if I had one, but I know I love my Armalite 10T.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    woah, really? I thought M1As started at $2K and went up!? why is your's cheaper?

SAI M1A start at around 1400.00 and go up. Mine is older, made back around 91' so it was used, not brand new. Gunbroker.....I wouldn't trade it for a 2000.00 fixed up SAI M1A, it shoots perfect and I like the quality USGI parts. With the Bassett mount and Nikon scope its a blast to drop tracers out to the 740 yd steel gong. However seems prices have gone up lately, glad I got mine when I did a couple yrs. ago....I was always a AR guy since 1980, but after getting a Garand and then the M1A they are more my favorites than the AR.

Most if not all my USGI parts were made in 1961....the HR Barrel is like brand new and stamped 6-61....my birthday month and year....pretty cool.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom