• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Guys I have an Armalite AR10 lower that I plan to make a precision rig out of. What I am finding is that the DPMS LR308 uses also of AR parts, which doesnt do me much good. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what parts are the same as an AR15. I know the barrel I am going with but need ideas as far as gas block gas tube and buffer tube as well as forend. the LPK, upper and BCG are all sourced as well as the stock which will be a Magpul PRS. Also what is the suggestion for a trigger, I am leaning toward a Timney.

Thanks

Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The PRS stock will narrow down your buffer tube choices for you. I believe it only works with one type.
    I haven't heard anything bad about timney triggers, but I've heard a lot of really good stuff about Geissele's, from guys who know their stuff. I've ordered up a Geissele, it should be at the house waiting for me to get home.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    So anybody else have an idea of what parts are interchangeable from the AR-15 platform?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    While the PRS is technically interchangeable, you will want the one specifically designed for the larger platform. The AR10 version has the checkpad further back to allow for full range of motion on the charging handle.

Other than that....nothing else is 100% interchangeable. There are so many variations on the upper and lower receivers, you really need to check out what each individual receiver will allow.

Grips should be interchangeable. Gas blocks could be interchangeable. Triggers should be interchangeable.

Barrels are not. Handguards are not. Gas tubes are not. Bolts and Bolt carriers are not. Charging handles are not.

Also, unless things have changed in the last year....there are even two different AR10 platforms. DPMS and ARMALITE/AR10. As I understand it, they are the same until you get to the barrel nut and the gas tube. You can use any barrel in any upper, just make sure you get the corresponding gas tube to go with as the lengths are different. Also, since the barrel nut is different, you will find you have to get handrails that are specific to your platform.

Short story is....there isn't the money to be saved on a DIY AR10 build like there is on a AR15 build. Unless you find a steal on a receiver, just get a Mega MA-TEN and build off of it. DPMS pattern and parts kits are readily available.

Here is a link to my build if you are interested.... https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/109393-finished_my_ar_308_build-2.html

Top Bottom