Worked. :D
    attachment.php

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The reason I bought my rifle was primarily hobby. I intend to target shoot at ranges most. Dunno if competition is in the future or not. Maybe. I zeroed to 25 yards only because that was the farthest position at the indoor range I was at. I would've done a 50 yard zero if I could have.

Nothing wrong with having a rifle and shooting it as a "hobby". God bless you.

My children and grandchildren own rifles to defend their lives, their freedom, and their property.

My children reject competition also. It requires too much work for them. But I trust they will have the skills and mindset if it comes down to it. If not, they will perish and my line ends. I cannot control everything....

I urge you to get as much training as you can . Prepare yourself.

IMO competition is the best training....But it does takes large amounts of time and effort. I have driven 20 hours or so to get to a rifle match..

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I start at 50yds and dial in there, then at 100yds Im about 4-5 in high with .223 AR then adjust from there... I like to have my AR shoot 1.5 inchs high at 100yds... But thats just me, everyones diffrent... Good luck and have fun...

How tall are your sights above the boreline?

With a standard AR or M4, you should never be that high (4-5 in) above point of aim if you zero at 50 yards, which is one of the main reasons to zero at 50 yards (and wherever your rifle/ammo combination crosses again at 200 meters or so).

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I always verify at 200 and 300 yards. I know guys always say 25 yards or 30 yards or whatever equate to a hit at 300 yards, but it is not always true. Trust but verify....

I remember one of my first 3-guns in York PA w/ my basic "m4" I had just partly re-built w/ scary evil parts (eg adjustable stock and threaded barrel for a comp) since the federal ban had expired... I had zero'd at 50 but man was my confidence shaken when I saw that array of 10" plates at 200. I recall I was the only irons shooter to complete the stage in the time limit w/ all the steel down, but I felt lucky more than anything..... so I agree you need to verify at distance. I'd rather be dead on at 200 and off by a wee bit at 50 than dead on at 50 and off by several inches at 200...

Where to zero is a personal choice. Just have to know where they hit.
    My 3-gun AR is set for 100. From close to ~200 I just hold center or maybe a touch high and I'm going to hit w/in a couple inches of my poa. And w/ my 55gr loads the holds work out well enough on my scope reticle that even I can remember them (300=4min, 400=8min, 500=12min, or close enough to those #s for 3-gun).

My red dots I usually zero at 200.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    How tall are your sights above the boreline?

With a standard AR or M4, you should never be that high (4-5 in) above point of aim if you zero at 50 yards, which is one of the main reasons to zero at 50 yards (and wherever your rifle/ammo combination crosses again at 200 meters or so).

yea, a 200yd zero should be about 1"-1.5" high at 100 depending on load and exact sight height...
    Quickly playing around w/ a calculator you'd have to have sights 5-6" off the bore to hit that high w/ a 50yd zero for a std 55gr load. maybe a scope mounted up on a carry handle??

Now a 25 yd zero will get you about that high at 100. maybe that's what he meant...

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    yea, a 200yd zero should be about 1"-1.5" high at 100 depending on load and exact sight height...
    Quickly playing around w/ a calculator you'd have to have sights 5-6" off the bore to hit that high w/ a 50yd zero for a std 55gr load. maybe a scope mounted up on a carry handle??

Now a 25 yd zero will get you about that high at 100. maybe that's what he meant...

-rvb

Both are possible!

thecolter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Indiana
    I am running a 6920 with fixed front sight and flip up rear. No other optics.

Give these targets a try. They will allow you to obtain a 50 yard zero if you only have access to a 25 yard range.

What you do is aim center mass on the sihloutte target. You adjust your group into the hash marked circle. This offset is calculated to give you a 50 yard zero.

Also, the adjustment grid is calibrated for carbine length sights, so it will take some of the guess work out of your adjustments.

12594760694_8c873e3183_o.jpg

Download from here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~j_colt123/Improved M4_AR15 Carbine Zero Target 50Ma.pdf

Make sure you have your printer scaling set to 100% so everything prints out to the correct dimensions.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Give these targets a try. They will allow you to obtain a 50 yard zero if you only have access to a 25 yard range.

What you do is aim center mass on the sihloutte target. You adjust your group into the hash marked circle. This offset is calculated to give you a 50 yard zero.

Also, the adjustment grid is calibrated for carbine length sights, so it will take some of the guess work out of your adjustments.

12594760694_8c873e3183_o.jpg

Download from here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~j_colt123/Improved M4_AR15 Carbine Zero Target 50Ma.pdf

Make sure you have your printer scaling set to 100% so everything prints out to the correct dimensions.

Wow, thanks. That would've been good to have on Saturday. Oh well, I'll probably be going back to BGF on Thursday afternoon. I will bring this one along. Thanks everybody. You have all been very helpful.

Top Bottom