• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Im looking to find a way to reduce the trigger pull on my bushmaster AR. Im guessing the only or best way to do this is to go with a drop in trigger of some sort. What are these all about and am i looking in the right direction for getting a faster rate of fire? If the drop in trigger is the way to go what is the best bang for your buck? Also, Ive seen or heard of two stage triggers. What does that mean. Thanks.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I would say a Fancy drop in trigger from Giselle(sp?), Timney or some other good company is the best way to get a really awesome trigger pull. They're $$ though you can also just change the springs on your current trigger to lighter ones like from JP enterprises. I have Timney and the Giselle and they're both great. I also have a couple of the yellow JP spring sets. I clicked the wrong button while ordering them if you want to give them a try pm me your address and I'll mail you a set.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    A 2 stage trigger... has an initial pull rate and then a second either lower or higher weight. You add the 2 stage weights together to get your total pull weight.

Single stage has one weight and that is it.

I have the Gesselle High Speed 2 stage Match trigger in mine. It is adjustable from 1.5-3.5 on the 1st stage and 4-14oz on the second stage. At the lowest setting it would have a total pull of 1.75lbs and at highest of around 4.3lbs. This trigger is super light and smooth.

You can do the above mentioned spring changes to change the weight, or take to a Gunsmith and have the creep taken out also.

I know such a Gunsmith if you would like some more information. He lives in Greensburg.

Getting the factory trigger worked over is cheaper than a drop in trigger group by far, but it's all in what you want. If you want the trigger release to feel like a tiny glass rod snapping, then go aftermarket. If you just want it to be lighter and feel better, then contact a Gunsmith or change the springs on your own.

Hope that helps

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I also have a couple of the yellow JP spring sets. I clicked the wrong button while ordering them if you want to give them a try pm me your address and I'll mail you a set.

I would take william up on this generous offer before sinking $$ into a super nice trigger. It may do what you you're looking for.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Im looking to find a way to reduce the trigger pull on my bushmaster AR. Im guessing the only or best way to do this is to go with a drop in trigger of some sort. What are these all about and am i looking in the right direction for getting a faster rate of fire? If the drop in trigger is the way to go what is the best bang for your buck? Also, Ive seen or heard of two stage triggers. What does that mean. Thanks.

Is this a rifle used for defensive purposes? That needs to be answered before suggestions can be made.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Great thanks for the info guys. And William, thanks for the offer, i just may take you up on your offer.

This rifle will probably never be used as a defensive rifle but yes, this is how im setting it up. The only bench rest shooting this rifle will probabaly ever see will be when i sight it in after its all put together.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Great thanks for the info guys. And William, thanks for the offer, i just may take you up on your offer.

This rifle will probably never be used as a defensive rifle but yes, this is how im setting it up. The only bench rest shooting this rifle will probabaly ever see will be when i sight it in after its all put together.

If you're setting it up as a defensive gun, I would be very careful about what i do to the trigger. A lighter hammer spring could lead to light primer strikes with some ammunition, especially when the gun gets dirty. Some match triggers simply aren't robust, others are just too light for when the adrenaline is pumping.

A professional trigger job on a milspec single stage trigger using full power springs would probably be the best bet for retaining complete reliability. That being said, I also find that just running your gun and dry fire improves the trigger in short order. If you have money to drop, the geissele combat triggers are very nice, but again, be careful. I shot someones PWS with one of their 3-gun triggers in it and was getting hammer follow when shooting fast, causing the gun to malfunction every few rounds. The sub 0.10 second splits were sexy, but not at the expense of having a non-functioning gun. The longest string of fire i managed without having to tap-rack was 7 rounds. Changing and tightening up tolerances to get that light, crisp break and short reset is going to have consequences somewhere

Last edited:

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    If you're setting it up as a defensive gun, I would be very careful about what i do to the trigger. A lighter hammer spring could lead to light primer strikes with some ammunition, especially when the gun gets dirty. Some match triggers simply aren't robust, others are just too light for when the adrenaline is pumping.

A professional trigger job on a milspec single stage trigger using full power springs would probably be the best bet for retaining complete reliability. That being said, I also find that just running your gun and dry fire improves the trigger in short order. If you have money to drop, the geissele combat triggers are very nice, but again, be careful. I shot someones PWS with one of their 3-gun triggers in it and was getting hammer follow when shooting fast, causing the gun to malfunction every few rounds. The sub 0.10 second splits were sexy, but not at the expense of having a non-functioning gun. The longest string of fire i managed without having to tap-rack was 7 rounds. Changing and tightening up tolerances to get that light, crisp break and short reset is going to have consequences somewhere

Yes for me reliability is most important. Ill take my current trigger set up over any others if it causes malfunctions. So is there no reliable way to acheive a light trigger pull? How much would professional trigger job be?

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I also have a couple of the yellow JP spring sets. I clicked the wrong button while ordering them if you want to give them a try pm me your address and I'll mail you a set.

I LOVE these, and they are only about $10 per set. Start with these and then see if you need anything beyond that.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I LOVE these, and they are only about $10 per set. Start with these and then see if you need anything beyond that.

Note, directly from JP enterprises:

Use of this spring kit requires the use of US manufactured (domestic) ammunition or reloads with domestic (non-NATO spec) primers as ignition reliability will be reduced with hard low sensitivity primers as found in made foreign made ammunitions and NATO specification ammunition. Use these parts only in rifles for recreational or competition shooting. Do not use this spring kit for any defense or duty applications or any AR-10 type rifle. Order the JPFC-1T or JPFCP-1T for AR-10, duty or defense applications.

Just pick up an ALG Combat Trigger. It's basically a mil-spec, single stage trigger that has had some geiselle magic done to it. Honed contact surfaces, a little bit of nickle boron. It will still be a 6lb trigger, but no grittiness and a very clean, sharp break. It will run you $65. Otherwise, send your trigger here http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html, they have a good reputation.

Last edited:

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011

Was this possibly an isolated event? I looked into the geissele combat triggers and it looks like theyre set up for speed and reliability seeing that our armed forces use them. Do you think he may have installed it incorrectly, after watching their videos they specifically say that one of the springs (hammer i beleive) can be easily put in backwards and needs to be over another pin or problems similar to what you described your friend having could occur.

Anyone else have experience with these?

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The trigger was installed correctly. Their 3 gun triggers were not designed for the military. They were designed for 3 gun competition. Their combat triggers (SSA) are sprung more heavily and as far as I know are reliable. They are very nice if you have the money.

After the incident I used some Google fu and found other reports of doubling and hammer follow with their lighter 3 gun trigger. This was only an issue for me when firing very rapidly (.1 splits).

If you go with one of their triggers, go with the ones designed for your purpose and it will be reliable enough for your purpose.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    The trigger was installed correctly. Their 3 gun triggers were not designed for the military. They were designed for 3 gun competition. Their combat triggers (SSA) are sprung more heavily and as far as I know are reliable. They are very nice if you have the money.

After the incident I used some Google fu and found other reports of doubling and hammer follow with their lighter 3 gun trigger. This was only an issue for me when firing very rapidly (.1 splits).

If you go with one of their triggers, go with the ones designed for your purpose and it will be reliable enough for your purpose.

Yeah that makes sense. They did say on the website that the 3gun triggers are really only well suited for 3gun comp shooting. Im thinking i may order one of these as they sound to be really good. I just didnt want to order one of the "combat" triggers only to have the issues you described. Going to be hard to decide which one to get as theyre all similar (SSA, SSA-E or SD-C). Thanks for your input.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    Professional Trigger Job is $100

It will be your same trigger, but greatly improved. Smooth, reliable, lighter and with no light strikes. It will be tailored to suit your needs. You will absolutely fall in love with it after it is finished. You will not be sorry.

My number is 765-561-5391
    Jason

Gunsmith broke his phone and has a new one on the way. So you can contact me. I will be there at 9:30 tomorrow morning until around 4. Friday will be 9:30 until 1.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Lots of great options. My favorite I own is my Geissle 3 gun. Also love the Timney in my SPR rig. A 2 stage is hard to beat for the money. Both the Bushmaster and RRA ones I've owned were very smooth.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Ok, i broke down and ordered the Geissele super semi automatic trigger. I guess ill let you guys know how she runs after i get it installed. Thanks for all the input!

Top Bottom