• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    What tools would everyone consider necessary to building, maintaining, and customizing ARs? Obviously an armorer's wrench, roll pin punches, rubber mallet. upper block. Anything else? I want to compile a kit of the tools that I'll need, that way if, I mean WHEN ;), I build another AR I'll have the tools.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I consider roll pin punch's, and a armor's tool MUST have. I have a lot of other tools that are very nice to have, but the first 2 I could not build a AR without.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Also need a set of flat-nosed punches for doing things like the FSB taper pins, and a good hammer to hit them with. I also find Brownells' jig handy for holding the FSB in position (and reminding me which way the pins go in/out). A mag block or similar instrument for safely holding the lower in a vise.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What is a good wrench?

See a bunch on amazon, but do not know which one is good or bad.

I know many on here are very budget minded but when buying armorers tools get good ones that will do the job all the time and not fail causing you to damage your gun.
    I have bought the majority of my tools from Brownells. They are clearly marked as to use and they back them up with a warr. Yes, a few bucks more but you are getting the real deal from them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Also need a set of flat-nosed punches for doing things like the FSB taper pins, and a good hammer to hit them with. I also find Brownells' jig handy for holding the FSB in position (and reminding me which way the pins go in/out). A mag block or similar instrument for safely holding the lower in a vise.

Every time I do one I swear up and down Im ordering a Jig next time I order from brownell's, then I never remember until the next time I do one and start cussing. Thank god I only do about 1-2 a year, but its a real PITA without the jig.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

What sizes would you recommend?

For the roll pin punches I got a set of 5 different sizes from Craftsman. or I could have bought the four sizes I knew I would need for $5.79 each.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have almost all of the parts for a upper build. I am looking for tools now. I have been looking at wrenches. The reviews are so mixed. Is Tapco really a good wrench. I read some decent review for the AIM wrench and then I read some really terrible ones, so I decided against it.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    What sizes would you recommend?

For the roll pin punches I got a set of 5 different sizes from Craftsman. or I could have bought the four sizes I knew I would need for $5.79 each.

A large one to get them started, anywhere from 3/16 to 3/8. Large is good. 1/8" to punch them out once you have them flush with the FSB. Some brands (BCM) are notoriously hard to get started.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I also really like having a roll pin holder for starting pins when I'm building lowers. It's not necessary, but if you're placing a Brownell's order, a nice thing to throw in. 1/8" for the trigger guard and 3/32 for the bolt catch. #'s 3 and 4 from Brownells.

Also 5/64" for the gas block roll pin if you want to round out your set. #2 holder from Brownell's.

Top Bottom