• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alurker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    looking to buy an AR any suggestions on what to look for in a good AR? I'm looking for something basic nothing over the top

alurker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    thanks for the link i'll check it out... Looking for under $1000... i know i'm not going to get the top of the line but want something that i can have some fun with... and put a .22lr conversion in it so i can get more trigger time with it

alurker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    i have been looking at a stag arms, any experiences with those? I have also been told its cheaper to buy the upper and lower and put it together myself?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    i have been looking at a stag arms, any experiences with those? I have also been told its cheaper to buy the upper and lower and put it together myself?

Stag isn't bad. You can save a bit of money if you build a lower yourself, although now that prices have come back down a bit, you may not see quite as much savings as you used to.

My first forray into the realm of EBR's was a Complete Del-Ton Kit. They send you everything you need to build a rifle except the lower, which is the FFL item. The kit has a complete upper, that is test fired, and then the lower parts you need to complete it.

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Rifle Kits Right now they have kits in the $465 range. Add a lower from your local FFL for anywhere from $100-$200 and you can have a complete AR in only a few minutes. I was able to build my first for a little over $700 once I added a few magazines.

I would recommend reading the link Esrice posted...as it will help you decide what exactly you want, as well as help you decide what level of quality you want. The Del-Ton kits are good, but there are some higher end kits you can buy out there that have added quality control and higher end components.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If you look around, you can get a complete LMT gun for right around a grand. Elmores had uppers for 600 and complete lowers for 400 last time I was in there. Add any iron rear sight and a mag and you have a solid complete gun.

Best,

Joe

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Depending on where you're from, Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka has Stags on sale for a bit over $700 until January 15th.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    Like Fargo said you can find LMT uppers and lowers cheap right now.
    Right now you can order a complete LMT upper without the rear sight for $607 from Global Tactical. That sale ends soon. You can also find LMT lowers online from $300 to $330 plus transfer fee. No 11% FET for a complete firearm.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My AR

:ingo: Got My AR about 4 years ago did all kinds of research, went to every shop in Indy, because I was willing to buy used. But ended with a new Bushmaster, it cost me about $850, just love it will shoot better than I'm capable of! Just rember these AR are like erector sets. There are almost no limits to the upgrades you can get!

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i would only get a colt, lmt, noveske, bravo. maybee a cmmg or s&w m&p and that would be it. anything else doesnt have the quality of parts imho.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    If you want basic and simple and don't plan on swapping parts out for say different stock, free float quad rail etc...you are really hard pressed to be a factory Colt LE6920. It gives you everything you need and they can be had for 1099 if you look. Just my 2 cents.

alurker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks for everyone's input, i found a great deal from someone on the form who was selling one... I got it for less than i wanted to spend and got more gun than I thought i was going to get!

Double Star Lower, DPMS LPK and six position Stock. 16 inch chrome Molly, 1:9 twist barrel w/ compensated flash hider. Flip up front sight gas block w/ bayonet lug, free float quad rail hand guard with ladder rail covers. flip up front/rear sight & Barska holographic sight. It also has a folding forward hand grip (w/ battery storage) and a 80 lumen light mounted on the rails, pressure switch on grip.

Here is a pic... I'll get some more pics up later!

DSC02450%282%29.JPG

Top Bottom