• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You like Larue over ADM? I am a ADM man myself, but thats really only because I can get them for pennies :twocents::twocents::twocents:

I have no direct experience, but they certainly look like solid mounts with a nice lockup system.

I do have experience with LaRue mounts, and they never fail to impress.

When comparing the two, I've never seen a reason to pay more for an ADM mount. If they were less expensive then I might consider them more often.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have no direct experience, but they certainly look like solid mounts with a nice lockup system.

I do have experience with LaRue mounts, and they never fail to impress.

When comparing the two, I've never seen a reason to pay more for an ADM mount. If they were less expensive then I might consider them more often.

oh pssh. I didnt realize they were more dollars. Well yeah I see what you mean then.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My replies in red, bold italics, snuggled into your original message, sir.

I started collecting parts for an AR build back in January, picking up stuff here and there on paydays. This is my SHTF battle rifle, so I'm trying to have a good mix of quality and value. I'm basically down to a final few things and looking for recommendations.

Muzzlebreak/flash hider for a DD 16in mid-length barrel - I've seen some hype around the Battlecomp, but it seems to have died down. If it's worth it, I'll save up for one, if not, I'm open for suggestions.

I'd go for the best flash hider you can find (maybe a vortek) and not worry over any compensator/muzzle brake if it's a gun for serious stuff.

Sling - open to suggestions, I like single/ 2 point options, I'm a pretty round fellow, so I guess I have to keep that in mind while I work on getting some pounds off.

If you go two point, get either VTAC or a Vickers. You'll like mounting it on the handguard near the receiver and at endplate for the buffer tube as long as you're chubby more than you will spacing it out.

Too many good choices for single points to name a specific brand or model. I prefer a small section of bungee on one or both ends and wider, tubular webbing is more comfy. That said, I a sling made by Blackhawk that was designed by Duane Dieter. It can be used as a single point sling or as a non-adjustable two-point carry strap. Other "convertibles" are way, way too complicated.

Sling Plate - don't know pro/cons of various options

Get one with an ambi mount for your sling. The Magpul is good and there are several others.

Back Irons - again, open to opinions

Troy are the Standard. If you want to mount on the handguard, the Magpul are a good value. I have regular front sight towers and either GG&G or MI folding rear sights with same plane apertures on my guns, but I've had them since before there were so many choice.

Red dot - seems the Primary Arms leads in recent suggestions, wondering what I gain if I stick with irons and save awhile for an Aimpoint H-1?

If this is really your emergency go-to weapon, don't even think of anything less than Aimpoint, maybe one of the EOTechs that use a single CR123 battery mounted sideways. Sure, a lot of less expensive brands will probably work forever. Probably. If you absolutely need it and you don't know you're be able to repair/replace/resupply easily or soon, Aimpoint is worth the piece of mine. I'd get either the Comp M4S or the T1 with 2 MOA dots (and the T1 is supposed to be available with the 2 MOA now0.

I would also like to mount my Fenix TK-15, anything stand out as far as mounts? I think Fenix makes a mount, but figured I would ask.

Like the red dot, and you know I'm a Fenix fan, I think I'd probably put a Surefire on a gun for this purpose, probably a scout light or something similar. Fenix is a great light, but it's a compromise based on price.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I started collecting parts for an AR build back in January, picking up stuff here and there on paydays. This is my SHTF battle rifle, so I'm trying to have a good mix of quality and value. I'm basically down to a final few things and looking for recommendations.

Muzzlebreak/flash hider for a DD 16in mid-length barrel - I've seen some hype around the Battlecomp, but it seems to have died down. If it's worth it, I'll save up for one, if not, I'm open for suggestions.

Like others have said, I'd give the GI standard a good trial and see if you see a need to switch. I haven't yet.

Sling - open to suggestions, I like single/ 2 point options, I'm a pretty round fellow, so I guess I have to keep that in mind while I work on getting some pounds off.

Another Vickers fan here. Had mine since 2008 with a combat tour behind it and it still is in great shape, carries well too. I personally can't stand 1 (or 3 point) slings, but that is just me. While I agree with Dom to a degree about the plain old GI or simple slings, finding a long GI sling ain't easy, and the standard length in use prior to the current longer M4 style ain't too condusive to carrying at the ready, without some mods.

Sling Plate - don't know pro/cons of various options

No opinion, I don't use them

Back Irons - again, open to opinions

Made mine from a carry handle. Works very well so far, and it's always there ready for use if I need it or my RDS goes down. Haven't tried many folders beyond the Matech GI issue, and they tend to malfunction from my experience with my guys in Iraq. A friend of mine really liks his MP rear.

Red dot - seems the Primary Arms leads in recent suggestions, wondering what I gain if I stick with irons and save awhile for an Aimpoint H-1?

I use a Trijicon Tripower, mainly because I got a good deal on it. So far I'm really liking it, and it don't have to rely on batteries, even though they can be used. Some fnd the chevron washes out, I've not experieinced that yet.

I would also like to mount my Fenix TK-15, anything stand out as far as mounts? I think Fenix makes a mount, but figured I would ask.

Is this a light? I'm not famiiar with this product. I'm in the market for a light, but I'm not in a hurry.
    my answers in red also

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    lots of good info above.

I'll probably start with the Fenix light I have now and upgrade down the road.

I'm thinking the Aimpoint H-1 in 2moa would do me justice. I'll have my active duty son buy one with his mil discount and loan it to me ;)

anyone check this out?

raptor-2.gif

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    IKickHippies SLAP ordered, since that is a part I need to complete the lower.

Guess I'll have to start a build thread here in a week or two.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    lots of good info above.

I'm thinking the Aimpoint H-1 in 2moa would do me justice. I'll have my active duty son buy one with his mil discount and loan it to me ;)

anyone check this out?

raptor-2.gif

I am wondering how sturdy it would be with the pins seamingly bearing the stress. Neat concept.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    I would support most of the input you've already received.

I'm a fixed sight guy, the DD A1.5...larue also has a fixed rear.
    Sling...Vickers adjustable 2 pt. Attachments....I'd recommend something near the receiver on the forend and some thing on the stock for a bigger guy.
    Red dot - Aimpoint for all the reasons mentioned...especially as you say this isn't a plinker or 3gun. Micro would be nice put the PRO's are fine.
    Gunfighter handle in Mod4 medium will make your life easier.

I'd further recommend some type of light....VTAC mount is cost effective and works....it will fit any standard light such as G2, E series (with an insert). Stick to a quality LED with a one stage switch.

If cost is an issue got with a mid moe fore end with a bfg universal loop for your front attachment.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    lots of good info above.

anyone check this out?

raptor-2.gif

Looks cool, but I wonder how well it runs one handed on the go when you can only really grip on side and not the whole thing. :dunno:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    love all the input, first job is to get a running gun built, then go from there.

This will be a FrankenAR build, a mix of new and used stuff.

I spent part of last night stripping the camo paint job off of the upper, so that I can come up with my own scheme.

For sights, I'm thinking about start with DD fixed, but will tackle that a few paydays own the road as I have a friend's Aimpoint Pro to get me by.

Top Bottom