• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I am thinking about building and AR soon and need help. I have never built an AR or any gun for that matter and need some recommendations. The reason for me building one is to learn, so something straight of the shelf isnt what I really want.
    What do you guys suggest as far as parts go? I am wanting this to target shoot and to also coyote hunt with, so I need accurate, dependable, and rugged. Are they fairly easy to build or should I find another project first to get my feet wet?
    What parts will I need and how much money are we talking about? I am really just starting to reseach this, so I literally know nothing. Any help would be helpful. Thanks

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I'd try the search function first, this is a really common topic.

Other than that, I personally don't get hung up on brand too much. i just make sure the rifle fits the needs you have, and go from there.

You could spend 500-3000 dollars depending on parts. Also I am big on having the PROPER tools to build them. As a guy who works on them pretty much daily, I cringe every time I see someone who uses screwdrivers for punches and rushes the job. I'd first grab a few books on the topic, and grab some coffee and head to a reputable gun shop with a qualified armorer. Usually his brain can be picked for info.

Good luck man..

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Thanks for the help. I am sure I have the proper tools or access to them atleast. I am just not sure if it is a project I am getting into over my head or not. I have a lot of experiance with building things, just not guns. Thanks for the help, I will go to a gun shop and pick there brain too. I am just not at that point yet. Thanks agian.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Nice looking components. Do you guys think I should go with a 5.56 or a .223, or are they both interchangeable. I have heard a 5.56 with shoot .223 but not the other way around. Is this true or is it something someone was telling me that didnt have a clue?

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    you can shoot 223 and 556 if it is chambered for 556 but DO NOT shott 556 out of an AR that is chambered for 223! The ones in the link I posted above will fire either.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Read....read some more, then read some more. Educate YOURSELF.
    Decide what YOU think would be best for your application.
    Take Billy Joe Bob's advice on the internet with a grain of salt.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Have you ever owned a AR or had experience with one? You mentioned that you have or can get access to the tools. The AR platform has multiple specialty tool requited unless you buy a assembled upped and lower. The build its self is quite easy with experience, but proper tools well be required. I can assemble a AR in less than a hour from nothing but parts and my tool. If you do choose to build your AR I strongly suggest you buy a fully assembled upper receiver for your first build.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Read....read some more, then read some more. Educate YOURSELF.
    Decide what YOU think would be best for your application.
    Take Billy Joe Bob's advice on the internet with a grain of salt.

Oh and mvician is %100 correct. :yesway:

Know what your getting into, never assume you know anything. Research is Key to any good build.

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    1911Shooter - I'm actually just about 15 min from you and i'm in the process of finishing my ar if you would like to take a look feel free to pm me
    Anelson

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You want accurate, rugged, dependable for your first AR?

My advice is to buy one "off the shelf".

Any of the major AR manufacturers will fill this need. Build one yourself later, or modify yours as your needs or tastes change.

Just handing over cash for a built rifle takes a lot of stress out of the decision. Plus, now you got one to take apart to see how it all goes together.

Building an AR is for someone with at least a little experience with the type.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Thanks for all the help agian guys. I do have experiance with the AR platform, such as field striping and cleaning. I have owned a few and just never really wanted to break them down to a full rebuild, they werent broke so I didnt try to fix them. I just to care of normal maintenance. The reason why I dont just want to buy one off the shelf isnt because I dont feel they will live up to my standards its just a learning process I want to become familiar with. I plan on doing a ton of research before doing this. I just feel that this is one good source to learn from and many of the members on here have a lot more experiance than me. I will also probalbly be buying a preassembled upper as suggested on here, like I said I dont want to get in over my head, I just want experiance and I know that comes with a price, and Im willing to pay that price if I learn something useful. Thanks agian everyone.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I am wanting this to target shoot and to also coyote hunt with, so I need accurate, dependable, and rugged.
    I've built or help build maybe 100 AR15s. I own nearly a dozen currently. My advice would be to buy a good AR with a free floated handguard and a target grade barrel.

The Olympic Arms K8 Targetmatch is a good entry level target AR. Reliable and great warranty. Low price too. This model uses their supurb SUM barrel, its used by many custom gunsmiths to produce outstandingly accurate rifles. Olympic Arms, Inc. - K8 - Targetmatch
    full-k8.jpg

A little more expensive, the Stag Arms Model 6 Super Varminter is a nice choice, it has a 24" barrel, which you may not find desirable. I'd prefer a 20" tube for a gun that is going into the field, but that is just a personal preference.
    Stag Arms
    stag_arms_6.gif

Rock River Arms is another good choice for a gun in this type of configuration that should suit your needs. They offer the ability to customize and offer different barrel lengths.
    Rock River Arms: LAR-15 Varmint Rifle A4
    va410rs.gif

There are other choices, but given the requirements you laid out in your post of things you want to do with the gun the above rifles, or one configured like them, is what I would recommend. You could, if you choose, build a lower and pop on a factory upper and that might suit your desire to learn and still give you the gun you desire. If you build a lower then I would strongly recommend you use a Timney or similar trigger system given your intended purposes. Its going to increase your cost by almost $200 but its going to increase your accuracy more than any other single component other than a quality barrel.

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    You can almost buy a complete rifle as cheap as building one these days. By the time you shop around and find the lowest prices everywhere, you have enough wrapped up in shipping to almost buy a complete rifle. DS arms and Del-ton have some very affordable, quality parts. You can add any upgrades you want at Del-ton to your kit but are a little more limited at DS arms.
    I was pricing parts at DS arms and for everything minus the stripped lower and I was at 558 shipped. That included assembled M4 style upper with chrome lined bore and chamber. A good set of roll pin punches and an extra set of hands if you don't have a vice block, I feel is all you need to put the lower together. I just put some electrical tape on areas that might get scratched during assembly, works great.

My :twocents:.

btgarner0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Southern IN
    I have found that most here at INGO are willing to help out.
    My son and I are also working on doing a build,and best advice that has been given to me is to ask questions, don't jump to purchase the first thing in order to fill the void of getting your AR project, take small steps and meet your objective ( Getting the right AR for you)

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I guess I would like to see the word "build" defined as it pertains to the AR-15. I am also looking for nearly the same type of rifle as the OP and have only considered complete uppers and lowers to get what I want. Would this be considered a build or is this just a normal part of a purchase? To me, a "build" is buying stripped components and going from there. Are there pitfalls to assembling a rifle from complete uppers and lowers as a first rifle?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I guess I would like to see the word "build" defined as it pertains to the AR-15. I am also looking for nearly the same type of rifle as the OP and have only considered complete uppers and lowers to get what I want. Would this be considered a build or is this just a normal part of a purchase? To me, a "build" is buying stripped components and going from there. Are there pitfalls to assembling a rifle from complete uppers and lowers as a first rifle?
    I think a lot of people build lowers by buying a stripped receiver and adding all their own choices of parts. Most people also seem to buy an upper that is factory built to their liking, or buying an upper and modifying it. Far fewer people build an upper from parts. The majority of what I own are self-built lowers with factory built uppers. One of my 6.5 Grendels is a full custom/self built upper, ditto my 7.62x39. But most others are factory built, some are then modified.

As for 'pitfalls' for assembling a rifle from a complete upper and a complete lower? Well I'd say you won't learn much. 90% of the little parts are in the lower. That is the part to "build" from individual parts if you want to really begin to understand the workings of an AR15. The only moving part in the upper is the bolt carrier group/firing pin. But all the little bits and pieces are in the lower. So if you want to really learn then build your own lower.

Building a lower requires no special tools. It also allows you to put in your own custom trigger system, which is pretty much mandatory for long range/target accuracy. As there are hundreds of possible combinations of stocks, grips, etc then building your own lower also lets you put on exactly what you want from the onset.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My son bought a DPMS complete lower from ZX Guns at a INDY 1500 show, 190.00....a few yds away he bought a used Colt complete upper with M16 bolt for 300.00. Later at a gunshow he had a guy work the trigger on the DPMS for 25.00 for a smoother better trigger pull...just a little over 500.00 an it shoots perfect.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Ok guys, I have read all the post and here's my idea. I would like to find a fully assembled lower and upper. Any suggestions, I figure I can modify it later to meet my needs but as for now I know I want a 5.56, I want it to be nice but decently priced, and I want to be able to modify it. Where sould I go from here in the way of parts? My price range is as cheap as possible to 750-800 bucks. Also where can I go to handle and get a feel for the lowers, I dont want to rush into ordering anything I will end up hating, an adjustable stock is also one of my must. Thanks for all your help.

Top Bottom