• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I have been thinking of building an AR pistol. Is there anything special about the pistol besides a short barrel, and lack of a butt stock? Basically, do I need any other pistol specific parts? What is the shortest barrel I can get? I'll take any info and links you may have. Thanks.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Why don't you just get a full size AR? I can never understand why people want to buy "pistol" variants of full size rifles when an actual handgun is better.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I have been thinking of building an AR pistol. Is there anything special about the pistol besides a short barrel, and lack of a butt stock? Basically, do I need any other pistol specific parts? What is the shortest barrel I can get? I'll take any info and links you may have. Thanks.

The buffer tube is basically what makes it a pistol. But you have to have a lower that has never been a rifle.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    Why don't you just get a full size AR? I can never understand why people want to buy "pistol" variants of full size rifles when an actual handgun is better.

I have a full size AR. I guess why not have an AR pistol. Almost the same as asking why people have 2 1911's......why not.

Novocaine.223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Indy
    I was thinking the same Mitchell0481, i want to build an ar- pistol myself. I have an 16" ar-15 with 12" rail that i put together but would like to have an other one shorter like 10.5 and dont want to spend the $200 on an tax stamp. I am on the fence about it .

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I built a pistol while waiting on the stamp. The $200 is worth the stock, otherwise you'll just always wish you had

TheTank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    indiana
    I think some of the appeal of the many "rifle" pistols is the caliper and mag size you can carry under your permit.:ar15:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    During the ban I built an AR pistol using a de-milled pencil barrel. Had the front half of the barrel burned off. I used the rear 6 inches or so. Because of weird rules at the time it had to be charged each time it was shot. Lot of fun and LOUD. However, it was pretty much useless.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    What is "better" is strictly up to what its intended use is. For using the same ammo in pistol and rifle would be a great example and a lot cheaper than a FN 5/7 and P(S)90 combo. Including the price per bullet when bought in bulk.

I myself went with Glock 22 and Kel-Tec Sub2000 in .40 combo, but they can't reach very far.

Going to build an AR pistol myself soon just for the fun of it. Just got the lower in and purchased it as a pistol with the tube already on it.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

An AR pistol is a great start to an SBR. You get to run it while playing the ever so fun game of hurry up and wait. It is fun to shoot in pistol form but there is just something about an SBR that screams good times.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

Oh really?

Iv heard that ar pistols arnt to good,

Oh really really?

An AR pistol is a great start to an SBR. You get to run it while playing the ever so fun game of hurry up and wait. It is fun to shoot in pistol form but there is just something about an SBR that screams good times.

yep:yesway:

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Not finding all the rules for it yet but a couple things to watch out for even if they are just CYA:

1. I suggest getting the Lower assembled and probably photographed with the pistol buffer tube installed before getting the barrel of less than 16". Apparently the wording and actions of BATFE say they will assume you are trying to make a SBR without a tax stamp otherwise.

2. Putting any kind of vertical fore grip on the pistol will make it an "any other firearm" requiring the tax stamp.

3. edited... didn't want to spread rumors I am not sure about

Trying to find the rules but that has not been made very easy.

Last edited:

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    ive shoot and worked on alot of ar pistols, and to be honest, they really dont work well. ive have bushmaster, professional ordanice, rocky mountain arms.... all had bad jam issues, mainly because of the short barrel, a friend bought a kel tec which uses a piston rather then a gas tube and is suprised me to function with out any problums, id get a keltec.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Good luck on a fun project.

About 1 1/2 yrs ago a Mod here did the trick, and built a pistol/AR. One of the questions he had during the project was whether a crutch-tip might LEGALLY be added to the original buffer-tube length, 'tho it made it longer. BATFE answer was, "It is still legal." You might check older build-projects here and see who that was, unless they step forward. I simply bought my Carbon-15 at a gun show. It empties mags. flawlessly ( serial # D03785, if that is before or after ownership changes.) Wish I could find another for $750 !!! EBG

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Do you recall ...

... the serial # series of your Bushys? Mine is great, and I wonder whether it is an early or a late gun. Thanks. EBG
    ive shoot and worked on alot of ar pistols, and to be honest, they really dont work well. ive have bushmaster, professional ordanice, rocky mountain arms.... all had bad jam issues, mainly because of the short barrel, a friend bought a kel tec which uses a piston rather then a gas tube and is suprised me to function with out any problums, id get a keltec.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    well i will have to look up the serial number, i think i had 3 different ones, they all jamed, i had the gas tube brake on one, i sent them back to professional ordinance several times aswell, tried different ammo, different mags. still they did not function,

Last edited:
    Top Bottom