• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timmy3trucks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    indiana
    when building an ar semiauto pistol in indiana does the lower have to be marked "pistol" or can you use any lower i have a brand new doublestar arms lower but it is not marked pistol and wanted to know if i can use it or if i have to buy a new"pistol" lower

Last edited:

Derp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Satans Armpit
    If you have a virgin receiver, you are free to build a pistol. The markings on the receiver don't matter.
    Agreed. It is important to note however that a pistol built into a rifle can never go back to being a pistol without being considered an AOW.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Agreed. It is important to note however that a rifle can never go back to being a pistol without being considered an AOW.

Almost correct but not quite. A rifle that started life as a "rifle" will always be a "rifle", though if it doesn't meet the length requirements (16" barrel / 26" OAL) then it becomes a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) by default definition.

Derp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Satans Armpit
    Almost correct but not quite. A rifle that started life as a "rifle" will always be a "rifle", though if it doesn't meet the length requirements (16" barrel / 26" OAL) then it becomes a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) by default definition.
    Edited...forgot a bit. +1 on a rifle will ALWAYS be a rifle.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    SOOOO Happy I haven't started playing in this arena......IT ALREADY MAKES MY HEAD HURT!!!

On a side note: Lets say you are looking to have an AK/AR/VZ SBR at a later date. are better off buying the pistol model straight out the gate and adding a stock? Or is it cheaper/easier to shorten the rifle?

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    SOOOO Happy I haven't started playing in this arena......IT ALREADY MAKES MY HEAD HURT!!!

On a side note: Lets say you are looking to have an AK/AR/VZ SBR at a later date. are better off buying the pistol model straight out the gate and adding a stock? Or is it cheaper/easier to shorten the rifle?

With the AR you simply register your lower as an SBR, (making sure to put the barrel length/lengths you want to use on the paperwork.) And then acquire the upper/uppers with those lengths, or get the barrels to put on your uppers. If you already have a 16" with the carbine gas system you can have it cut and threaded to a shorter length. I cut and threaded one to 11.5" for a friend who had a registered select fire AR back in the late 80's. I had to open up the gas hole a little to get it to function reliably but he's used it for the last 26+ years with no problems.
    The AK depends on what you want. I would much rather attach a stock to a Draco than shorten the barrel and gas system on a full size AKM. The AMD would be a simple matter of cutting the weld that attaches the "permanent" extended muzzle brake and screwing on whatever you want to the already 12.6" barrel. With the Krink I would buy the rifle with the extended barrel and just shorten it and put on whatever muzzle attachment you wanted. All of this, of course, only after you get the approved paperwork back.
    Remember the AKs have stock specific receivers so an under folder, side folder, and fixed stock are all different and not interchangeable. There are folks who can modify some receivers for the various stocks.

Top Bottom